GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(Break-in/Run-in) "Accidentally" floored a GTI during the test drive... is that bad?

andig4

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys,

Not got my R yet, but just curious on something. If you ignore the running in period, and you blow something, is it really a huge problem? As wouldn't you be covered under warranty?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not a real warranty issue as they would have to prove somehow you abused the car and caused damage.
Run in helps with long term health of the car. However some think it makes no difference.
As you only need to do it for 1000 miles why not take it easy and help your car? After 1000 miles then drive it as you want, but get oil temp over 180F before you do so.
The 1000 light miles are also good for the brakes. No hard stops during this period will also help long term health.

andig4

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, wise words. Just curious lol thanks sandman

Nyanga

Ready to race!
Key point: coolant and oil should be on 90 Celsius before consistent high revs.

In first 1,000 miles, try to keep revs low BUT periodically take them high briefly once warmed up.

It is a personal choice and your car; decide yourself based on your driving experience.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
What is considered optimum temperature 180+?

My oil temp runs around 220-225F. Can reach 230F on hot days and start stops.
Not sure if above 180 is technically the threshold but above 180 you are close to running temp. Once my GTI reaches 180F in a matter of minutes and it will be at 200 also.
My thoughts.

Mayhem

It actually does say in the manual how to break your engine in. I cant remember exactly (and Im too lazy to look for the book) but for my Golf R it said something like to keep the revs below a certain point for the first 1000km and then it said to slowly increase the revs until it reaches 1500km.
My dealer told me to drive it normally, no need to baby it as long as the engine temperature is up.

wrich73

Passed Driver's Ed
Stress testing at factory before being shipped is not exactly kid glove treatment, don't worry :)

I worked for VW for 3 years. You want the most reliable car on the lot? Get the dealer trade from out of state with 500 miles on it (as long as it's perfect cosmetically). You will get a below invoice deal and make a friend out of the sales manager.

From my experience, across all models (esp GTIs and Touaregs) if there is a goblin in the car it comes out in the first 100-200 miles of driving--not just engine/drivetrain issues, anything.

**oh, I also guarantee the sales people beat the shit out of the cars on fuel runs /first fill up, gotta burn that cosmoline off the rotors!!

Last edited:

Juggler

From another post on this forum:

""Sorry - i thought i should chime in here seeing as just earlier this year i did a tour of the Wolfsburg plant whilst on holiday.

Each and every car after being assembled is put onto a dyno to check running and electricals. During this, the technician absolutely rings the engine, redlining it several times and going down through the gears with heavy engine breaking straight off the production line. I asked the tour guide and he said the car will end up with somewhere between 10 - 15km on the odometer following the testing.

Considering the main idea behind "breaking in" an engine is to seal the piston rings against the cylinder bores and wear them smooth, the 10 - 15km of hard running each car gets will honestly do 90% of the job. So the engines are pretty much broken in from factory. They don't however do an oil change after this - just stick them straight onto the train.""

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

LOL.

Break-in is more about the lawyers covering their asses than the car/bike. You taking something you're not familiar with and pushing limits puts you at risk because you aren't accustomed to the vehicle yet to know how it will react.

As stated above a few times, the testing process of new engines isn't kid-glove treatment. Break yourself in, not the vehicle. Once you're comfortable, drive it like you want to drive it.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
My car had a intake @ 200 miles and at 500 miles it was strapped on a dyno.

Cruiser

Ready to race!
I tested the apr on my second tank of gas for a week before refund