Oh noes!!

DAS_STIG

Banned
not GTI/Golf R, no care.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
If its not 100%, I'll pass over the article. Its best not to speculate so much. People have been saying Chatanooga, Germany, Portugal, and Mexico this entire time.

plat

Ready to race!
Rumor has it that the MKVII Golf will be built in the TN plant. To keep costs down, I won't be surprised if the GTI will be assembled there, too. It really depends on how much of the GTI they plan to sell. The R and possibly the GTD might still be made in Germany since they won't be selling a whole lot of those in North America when they hit the market.

Now, you may ask why not continue building the Golf in Mexico. I think at this point in time, the US needs to generate jobs so there may be incentives in place that will be to VW's advantage if they start building it in the US.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Wouldnt surprised me if they do put it in the Chatanooga plant. Actually, they would be stupid not to.

d4dawg

Ready to race!
Rumor has it that the MKVII Golf will be built in the TN plant. To keep costs down, I won't be surprised if the GTI will be assembled there, too. It really depends on how much of the GTI they plan to sell. The R and possibly the GTD might still be made in Germany since they won't be selling a whole lot of those in North America when they hit the market.

Now, you may ask why not continue building the Golf in Mexico. I think at this point in time, the US needs to generate jobs so there may be incentives in place that will be to VW's advantage if they start building it in the US.

Say VW decides to produce the Golf in the TN plant, approximately how many jobs will it create? I am just curious. Aren't all modern mass market cars produced by robots? The "creating jobs here" is just political and PR speak, no?

DAS_STIG

Banned
Say VW decides to produce the Golf in the TN plant, approximately how many jobs will it create? I am just curious. Aren't all modern mass market cars produced by robots? The "creating jobs here" is just political and PR speak, no?

you still need human interaction to mount/weld certain things as it may be too complex for robots. can't speak to the golf specifically though, but there are things that robots just can't do.

Hooklyn

Banned

The new Chattanooga plant for JUST the N/A Passat brought more than 2,000 jobs with it...