GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus RS owner looking for thoughts/opinions on switching to a Golf R ...

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Never seen a dealer test drive used cars. Always test drive brand new ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ok, so by your reaction you must not be talking about the end potential buyer.

So you’re saying that you’ve never seen/heard of a dealer test driving a used car, just test driving their new ones? Or are you saying, you’ve never heard of a dealer allowing a potential used car buyer actually drive the used car they’re potentially purchasing? Or are you saying that when a customer is trading their used vehicle on a new car, you’ve never seen/heard of a dealer test driving the trade in, but allowing you to test drive the new car?

Because the dealer should be test driving all their inventory, new or used. The used cars have to at the minimum be driven by the tech during its inspection, certification if applicable, to be offered for sale and part of the pdi is to drive the their new cars before they are offered for sale.

If the dealer does not allow you to drive a used car, run don’t walk away, period, and if you buy that used car without driving it, then yes that used car customer can only be described as an idiot.

If the new car/used car/floor manager doesn’t drive your trade in, you should understand that, that is an obvious sign you didn’t work as good a deal as you think ya did it on your trade, besides the manager half assing their job, but as I stated earlier a tech will be, if the deal goes through, as part of the inspection/certification.

And personally I’ve never heard of a dealer not allowing test drives on used cars as a few miles here and there means little to nothing on a used car, but am very familiar with dealers not wanting to let everybody but customers they deem as serious buyers, drive low production vehicles, as I said earlier, that actually makes sense to some extent, because the eventual customer of a niche vehicle is usually pickier. But your post seems to suggest the opposite? I mean if you’re not going to test drive something before buying it not test driving the new car would be the safer bet as you have full warranty and factory buyback and lemon law options on a new car.

So ya, I guess I don’t understand what your 2 sentence point was/is, if it wasn’t about a customer buying a used car without test driving it, it’s about dealers not test driving used cars, but test driving new cars, it’s your post that’s confusing.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
my used car test drive experience was basically the sales guys didn't even care to ride with me. so a lot of times, i was test driving my self.

Now, try to test drive a brand new Porsche 911 turbo on the showroom and let me know what happened.=)

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Ok, so by your reaction you must not be talking about the end potential buyer.

So you’re saying that you’ve never seen/heard of a dealer test driving a used car, just test driving their new ones? Or are you saying, you’ve never heard of a dealer allowing a potential used car buyer actually drive the used car they’re potentially purchasing? Or are you saying that when a customer is trading their used vehicle on a new car, you’ve never seen/heard of a dealer test driving the trade in, but allowing you to test drive the new car?

Because the dealer should be test driving all their inventory, new or used. The used cars have to at the minimum be driven by the tech during its inspection, certification if applicable, to be offered for sale and part of the pdi is to drive the their new cars before they are offered for sale.

If the dealer does not allow you to drive a used car, run don’t walk away, period, and if you buy that used car without driving it, then yes that used car customer can only be described as an idiot.

If the new car/used car/floor manager doesn’t drive your trade in, you should understand that, that is an obvious sign you didn’t work as good a deal as you think ya did it on your trade, besides the manager half assing their job, but as I stated earlier a tech will be, if the deal goes through, as part of the inspection/certification.

And personally I’ve never heard of a dealer not allowing test drives on used cars as a few miles here and there means little to nothing on a used car, but am very familiar with dealers not wanting to let everybody but customers they deem as serious buyers, drive low production vehicles, as I said earlier, that actually makes sense to some extent, because the eventual customer of a niche vehicle is usually pickier. But your post seems to suggest the opposite? I mean if you’re not going to test drive something before buying it not test driving the new car would be the safer bet as you have full warranty and factory buyback and lemon law options on a new car.

So ya, I guess I don’t understand what your 2 sentence point was/is, if it wasn’t about a customer buying a used car without test driving it, it’s about dealers not test driving used cars, but test driving new cars, it’s your post that’s confusing.

Based on what was said above when you go look at x car they let you drive x car not y car. Never been told oh well we have a used on one in stock so i'll let you drive that one but I wont let you drive the new one. With the you'll just have to trust me on its the same thing.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Based on what was said above when you go look at x car they let you drive x car not y car. Never been told oh well we have a used on one in stock so i'll let you drive that one but I wont let you drive the new one. With the you'll just have to trust me on its the same thing.

Ahhh, yes then I did misunderstand your short post. I see what you’re saying now. Assume we’d agree that if the dealer won’t let you drive the actual car you want to buy from them going to another dealer that will would be smart, or at least enough to not give that dealer the business out of principle.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
My dealer happened to have a used 2016 at the time that i was trying to decide on either the R or a GTI PP. Finding used ones on lots isn't always easy...

I drove both cars (used in my case). It made sense to me that they wanted to keep the new cars as mint as possible for their future owners. Also, a used R with 9339 kms is worth the same as one with 9362 kms. A follow up visit informed me that the used R sold rather quickly. It looked great in red and was a base with DSG. I guess it is a case by case situation after all. I definitely can't understand it when dealers refuse a test drive... ahem Subaru STIs ?

True in your case. But when i step into a dealership to buy a brand new GTI / R, i would expect to test drive a similar brand new car. I would be totally unhappy if the dealer offer me a test drive on a used car and i would not give my money to that dealer in particular. Dealers cant treat those cars like a limited edition Porsches!

The difference in miles which you explained in your post will matter for me, if i am in the market for a used car. If that dealer offered that car for the test drive, i can assume he would do the same for other customers as well. Most CarFax reports will show the number of miles when the car was taken over by the dealer's used car department. If i see a difference of more than 100 miles between the time it was traded in and my time to purchase that used car, i would suspect the dealer using that car in particular for their joy rides. And i will not purchase that vehicle.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
The past few car dealers that I looked at both new and used cars took me on ridiculously short urban drives. It's annoying, but if I had pushed the issue I'm sure I could have extended my drive. I already knew everything about the car and I was even telling the sales guy all about it, things he didn't even know. It was an easy sale for him. He ended up being the paper passer outer.....lol.

If it was a brand or car I was not intimately familiar with I'd want to drive it a lot to see how it responds, etc. Usually when I'm ready to buy anything, I have already done all the research and comparison and the sales person is just there to accept my money. I research the crap out of almost every purchase so I don't have to rely on a sales person.

A car is a big purchase so one should take all the time and as many times as you want to make sure it's the car for you. if a dealer doesn't understand that, eff them!

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
Funny how someone can take something simple as communication and screw it up. We all know what happens when one assumes or jumps to conclusions.

If one starts off with calling others idiots we just waisted our time and shown we don’t understand the word respect.......it is immature and an immediate turn off.

Think before you speak.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Funny how someone can take something simple as communication and screw it up. We all know what happens when one assumes or jumps to conclusions.

If one starts off with calling others idiots we just waisted our time and shown we don’t understand the word respect.......it is immature and an immediate turn off.

Think before you speak.

I agree.

I meant the “you’d and you’re” as a general not a specific but in no way made that clear, that is MY FAULT and for that I APOLOGIZE to him directly (I am sorry Crild I meant it more as a blanket statement, but completely understand why you took it personal it was NOT, initially, well written, clear or lengthy enough by me) to everyone else who was offended my apologies, also.

After reading his response, which because he’s obviously NOT the type of idiot who does purchase a used car without driving it, was slightly angry, justifiably IMO, I still didn’t understand his earlier post, asked for clarification, worded my response to his response much more carefully and lengthy and didn’t further escalate. He in turn, to his credit, provided more information also did not escalate anything and it became clear we were talking about 2 different situations.

Once again my apologies, especially to Crild, my initial post didn’t understand your earlier short post and my response was meant more as a blanket statement not a personal attack and my poor choice in wording did not express that anywhere near as clearly as I wanted or intended, what I should have written was, any customer buying a used car without test driving it is acting idiotic. And your/his point of never experiencing a dealer trying to force a test drive on a used version of the new car you are interested in buying is crystal clear to me now. Back to his point, a dealer like that is either shady or isn’t treating you like a valuable buying customer probably better off going to another dealership and giving your business to a dealer that actually earns it.

ilimit1

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't read every single post on this thread, but I also looked into the RS before purchasing the R. I chose the R for its practicality and low profile looks with an interior I enjoy. Not to mention, that I'm satisfied with the power, and haven't thought about tuning the car yet. That said, they're both sweet vehicles and 2018 is the last year for this model, if I'm not mistaken. The RS guys knows about us, and vice versa. There is someone I follow on IG that actually traded his RS in for a 2017 Golf R. He realized his mistake, and traded his R BACK in for the same RS. That's a story for ya. Good luck!