GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From GTI to R

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
For those who have made the switch, does the R's engine sound and feel smoother?

Picked up a GTI for the wife and the sound isn't as smooth as my R. It's hard to describe, it sounds 'grainier' for lack of a better word. There's no apparent imbalance that I can perceive and the power it's putting down on par with other stock cars (trapped at 98.x mph with the airbox mod)

Could it be the DSG? Mine is a manual trans. Does the DSG sound more 'geary' vs a standard auto vs manual trans?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You hear gear whine in the lower gears with DSG in the R but I figure it's the same with a GTI. I think the engine and exhaust are louder in the R.

Noize1

Ready to race!
17s side by side in my garages as well.
The differences are small. The GTI is a little more nimble, but I like everything else about the R better. Both our cars are DSG and they sound the same. The R has much better gear spacing, however.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
imo if she doesn’t like the GTI she’s not going to like the R. If you like the GTI you’ll love the R. It’s a bit less peppy but that could just be subjective. I only drove a GTI on a test drive.

defcon5

Ready to race!
You hear gear whine in the lower gears with DSG in the R but I figure it's the same with a GTI. I think the engine and exhaust are louder in the R.

All true. I have R my wife has GTI. Only I would say at normal conservative driving the exhaust is same noise level but R is louder at half to wot.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
If I had to guess it's the soundaktor that is causing the issue. I get back into my MK5 and it's smooth as butter, same if you turn the soundaktor off or way down in the MK7 GTi.

FWIW, the MK5 is too smooth, I leave the soundaktor on normal in the MK7 GTi. When I get the clubsport S muffler I will probably turn the soundaktor down or off.