GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Sound upgrade dongle official rental thread!

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question - those you have installed the sub already - what does the rj45/ethernet plug do?

Also, how do you know your sub is programmed without having the actual programmer? Mine sounds pretty good and not muddy like most are saying.

Still want to get a chance at using the dongle to make sure it's programmed.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Quick question - those you have installed the sub already - what does the rj45/ethernet plug do?

Also, how do you know your sub is programmed without having the actual programmer? Mine sounds pretty good and not muddy like most are saying.

Still want to get a chance at using the dongle to make sure it's programmed.
The rj45 is for programming the unit with the programming dongle. Also, there's a plug that goes in there that sets the unit to right hand drive mode.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
There has been a backlog due to a user giving an incorrect address. Hopefully this is resolved swiftly :)

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
The rj45 is for programming the unit with the programming dongle. Also, there's a plug that goes in there that sets the unit to right hand drive mode.

I know the port was for programming just wanted to know what the extra rj45 terminal end was for that came with the sub. So if I would plug in that extra terminal end it would convert the sub to right-hand drive? What difference would that make?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I know the port was for programming just wanted to know what the extra rj45 terminal end was for that came with the sub. So if I would plug in that extra terminal end it would convert the sub to right-hand drive? What difference would that make?

It changes the dimensions of the car, the RHD car has the entire interior installed the other way around, and since I guess it makes some difference. To be honest: I didn't read the manual paragraph about this thing until a few weeks ago, and I left this plug installed in the unit, while not having a RHD car. I took it out last week, I didn't notice any real difference, but I could hear something change the moment I took it out.

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
It changes the dimensions of the car, the RHD car has the entire interior installed the other way around, and since I guess it makes some difference. To be honest: I didn't read the manual paragraph about this thing until a few weeks ago, and I left this plug installed in the unit, while not having a RHD car. I took it out last week, I didn't notice any real difference, but I could hear something change the moment I took it out.

Interesting - thanks for the information.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Dongle is available! Thanks.

Gusto181

Looking to rent the dongle as well in the US. Any NC folks still have theirs? Thanks - scrh1

Just got a '17 GTI last week here in Charlotte, NC. Helix seems to be a solid first upgrade.

Anyone local have the dongle? Figured I'd get in line now.

Recommendations for place to purchase the Helix? Guessing most dealerships won't have it.

Thanks!

Murf1

Ready to race!
Installing the helix Soundbox this weekend, would like to get on the list for dongle rental....Do I need to PM the OP as well or does posting here suffice?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Recommendations for place to purchase the Helix? Guessing most dealerships won't have it.

Any dealership is able to order & get it for you though (as opposed to paying shipping on it from an online dealer).

Just try to negotiate a price/discount.
I paid/negotiated $240 from my local dealer, for example.

And then VW has a (additional) 12% mail in rebate offer going on right now too:
https://www.vwserviceandparts.com/vw-accessory-rebate/

ODD

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, new member here. I just bought a 2017 GTI Sport in August, and in September I added the Helix sub. I'm am hoping I can get on the list for dongle rental as well. I pm'd wy2sl0, is that all I need to do to get on the list? Thanks!

iromero

Hi,

One more new member and very happy owner of a GTI.

After reading several posts I've decided to get the Helix Soundbox installed.

I got it installed today. It sounds way better than with the Stock System.

However, I'm still curious if it was programmed properly. The dealer (who installed it) said it was. Not so convinced.

Looking forward to the dongle to get either peace of mind or a better sound

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Updated list.