GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

use for 115 V 2-prong power socket in trunk

djbryan14

I have a 2015 Golf SW TDI SE. It has a 2-prong 115V 150W power outlet in the trunk, however I cannot figure out what it would be useful for. I have tried to run a Dyson vacuum, a hair dryer, and a DirtDevil hand vac and none of them will run on the outlet.

Has anyone found a hand vac, or anything else for that matter, that will run on it?

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
Yeah, I'd image those things would pull too many watts. I see it more for charging devices on a road trip (laptops, cameras, etc.) or maybe a plug-in cooler and small camping appliances.

djbryan14

You were right on point. After searching I found a Cars.com article that says

"Around the Cars.com office, the AC outlets see all types of use in the cars we test. They help warm game-day meatballs in a slow cooker and inflate a mattress while camping. They also come in handy for keeping an iPad charged during a road trip to occupy kids' attention. Most commonly, the AC outlets help us work on the go by functioning as a portable charging station for laptops and camera batteries; the outlets also charge phones faster than the USB port."

I was able to buy a 12V hand vac to plug into the 12V DC plug right next to it. After a few uses I'll see if it has enough power to do what I need it to. Thanks for the reply.

elterrible

Passed Driver's Ed
150watts at 115v is only 1.3amps. most items will say what they draw in terms of watts or amps and it has to be less than those.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Might only be powered if the ignition is on. My cig lighter looking one back there was that way until I moved the fuse up one notch. Now always hot.

danjam

Maybe try running a microwave, toaster oven, or space heater.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk