GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake fluid change

Mikey4996

Hi all.

Just wondering if you need vcds for changing the brake fluid? Activate the abs pump maybe?

Would obd11 do it?

On older cars you never needed a computer do do the basics......

Cheers.

Of course yes, you need VCDS or equivalent to fully flush the fluid.
Otherwise old fluid will inevitably remain in the ABS/ESC block and
perhaps may cause corrosion issues longterm due to water content.
Remember also it's sitting quite close to the ultra hot downpipe and
turbo assembly.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Much of what's posted on the web and published in service manuals says VCDS is not necessary unless air has been introduced into the system.

Vacuum or pressure bleeders will usually push/pull fluid through the pump without a problem. If you have air trapped in the pump however, you will need to run the pump to force it to escape.

mawallace

Ready to race!
Had my brake fluid changed today - on the dashboard was a note from the dealer saying that I had to watch my braking while the fluid system 'beds' in.

I thought that was only an issue with older models?

Is there something I need to do? How long will it be before the brakes are back to normal?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Had my brake fluid changed today - on the dashboard was a note from the dealer saying that I had to watch my braking while the fluid system 'beds' in.

Is there something I need to do? How long will it be before the brakes are back to normal?

That sounds like nonsense to me. Brake pads need to bed in, brake fluid does not. Braking gently for the first few hundred miles isn't going to make it work any better.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

If that were really necessary VW would never sell any cars.

Squishy

Ready to race!
Is there a DIY tutorial on how to flush the brake fluid on a GTI? I've done my own brake fluid flushes before but all my previous cars were automatic and I understand on a manual car the clutch is involved somehow too.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Is there a DIY tutorial on how to flush the brake fluid on a GTI? I've done my own brake fluid flushes before but all my previous cars were automatic and I understand on a manual car the clutch is involved somehow too.

The clutch and the brake share the same reservoir, but you dont have to bleed the clutch to bleed the brakes.