GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bridgestone Potenza

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
I've always had Bridgestone potenza on my car long lasting, good breaking i can sense that the handling and the cornering could be better, the back wants to slide out if i push it to much on turns . Amazing tyres none the less practical run around for the family. Seem to be very hard when passing speed bumps. Front two are due for a change approx £80.00 each supply and fit from AA. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys :cool:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Not sure what advice you’re asking for; are you looking for suggestions on alternatives to Bridgestone? Are you looking for confirmation (or otherwise) that £80 is a good price?; you’ve not said what size your current tyres are so it’s difficult to comment on whether or not £80 represents good value.

It’s interesting that you rate Bridgestones quite highly. Many owners on one of the other Golf forums really dislike them for being noisy, having poor grip in cold, wet weather and being very easy to induce wheel hop, tramping and wheel spin from the front wheels when pulling away. They do tend to be long lasting though; probably down to the hard compound used to manufacture them, which will be a significant contributory factor to poor grip and traction in cold and wet conditions.

If you’re interested in alternatives to Bridgestone, worth checking out some of the reviews here;

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

Whatever tyres you get, be sure to inspect your wheels and agree their condition with the fitter before having new tyres fitted, especially if you’ve got diamond cut wheels. There are lots of instances reported on forums of wheels being damaged due to poorly maintained tyre fitting equipment or careless tyre fitters, and depending on wheel finish (powder coat or diamond cut), a good quality wheel refurb will typically cost around £65-£85 plus VAT.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've always had Bridgestone potenza on my car long lasting, good breaking i can sense that the handling and the cornering could be better, the back wants to slide out if i push it to much on turns . Amazing tyres none the less practical run around for the family. Seem to be very hard when passing speed bumps. Front two are due for a change approx £80.00 each supply and fit from AA. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys :cool:

Bridgestone has a new all season tire. RE980.
Ultra High Performance. 500 AA A rating.
Not sure available in your location but take a look.
Sounds like you might like.
So far they are great and much better than the OE RE97 tires.

What tire are you running now?

I think this is right review below covering this new tire.

https://youtu.be/HYadlAvkyPU

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
Standard 17 Dijon i may be guessing 225 45r17 This is all i have known on this vehicle, ive changed all four front two due a change, im not to fussed about the price because they are long lasting just want something that wants to stick to the ground. I dont want to go for something else and they are just as bad.
Its better the devil you know then the devil you dont sometimes,:confused: unless you guys can give a good recommendation Thanks

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
As Bridgestone are classed as premium tyres, assume you want to stick with something premium? I don’t have any personal experience of them but Michelin PS4 and PS4S seem to be flavour of the month with many of the Golf GTI and Golf R forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk. The PS4 gets good reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk too and came out top in the 2017 EVO summer tyre test, the 2017 Auto Bild UHP tyre test and the 2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Test;

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4.

They may not be as hard wearing as your Bridgestones, but the upside will be better levels of grip. Bear in mind that these are classified as a summer tyre (as pretty much all tyres fitted to new cars in the UK are, and I suspect your Bridgestones are too), so tyre performance won’t be as good as all season or winter tyres during the winter months when the temperature is below 7*c. If you live in a part of the UK that gets quite harsh winter weather, it’s worth considering winter tyres for the winter months.

I don’t think the PS4S version are available in 17”, at least not in the UK.

Another couple of premium tyres worthy of consideration are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and Continental Sport Contact 5.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I've run Michelin PS4 tyres for some time and highly recommend them and would replace them with the same.

The PS4S tyres are only available in 19" plus sizes in Europe.

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
guys how much would it cost for 17 inch alloys to get the michelin ps4. ive always used michelin tyres on the LTI TX black cabs, good handling long lasting. I want my golf to stick to the ground . To be fare it was good in the snow.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’d suggest you check a website such as Blackcircles to get an idea of prices. Input your vehicle reg or specific tyre size/speed rating details and you can get a price for supply and fit or supply only (and you arrange the fitting service). I usually input the tyre size as the registration number look-up doesn’t always return the correct details for your vehicle, especially if you’ve got different wheels to those that were fitted when the car was built. Link to Blackcircles website;

https://www.blackcircles.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxubb1u2Y2AIVL5PtCh00yQbREAAYASAAEgIjoPD_BwE

If you do know of an independent fitter that you trust to take good care of your wheels, it can work out cheaper sometimes to get the tyres supplied and you arrange with your fitter to get them fitted, provided the fitter doesn’t charge an exorbitant fitting charge.

I’ve used Camskill before. Prices are usually good, but they’re supply only, so you’d need a arrange a fitter yourself. Link to website;

https://www.camskill.co.uk

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
:)cheers guys another headache driver side mirror in pieces wrapped in ducktape, thats gonna need replacing hard to get a decent price on that second hand 100 quid + plus a long drive out of the way, midnight blue electric folding:(

marvin1

Ready to race!
:)cheers guys another headache driver side mirror in pieces wrapped in ducktape, thats gonna need replacing hard to get a decent price on that second hand 100 quid + plus a long drive out of the way, midnight blue electric folding:(

If you can afford a GT with all that clobber on it, go to your VW dealer and get one fitted by them.