GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheapest Dealer in the US

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Exactly!!!

3 of the 4 were negotiated via text with the same salesman and he made it incredibly easy.

I did all my negotiating via text, email, and online chat. Saves time for everyone, and removes the possibility of miscommunication.

Bonderd

Passed Driver's Ed
I did all my negotiating via text, email, and online chat. Saves time for everyone, and removes the possibility of miscommunication.

Not bad, next time take the dealer financing to get the $1000 additonal credit. Then wait one month and refinance through your local Credit Union. I just did this with my S3 and got a 72 Month loan for 2.74% APR. Probably best way to go about getting the best of both worlds. You need to wait 1 month so it shows the debt on the next months credit report.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Not bad, next time take the dealer financing to get the $1000 additonal credit. Then wait one month and refinance through your local Credit Union. I just did this with my S3 and got a 72 Month loan for 2.74% APR. Probably best way to go about getting the best of both worlds. You need to wait 1 month so it shows the debt on the next months credit report.

No need to wait at all. In fact the best way to do it is within 30 days so that the credit inquiry counts as only 1. Only thing you have to wait for is the new loan account number so that you can pay it off (don't wait to get it in the mail).

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
possibly Royal motors in SF

That's where I got mine! 2.5 years ago and I only got a little over a grand off MSRP, but MSRP was $18k so it was still damn cheap for what it is.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

I'm not sure what this credit is that you guys keep referring to; VW offers $1000 cash if you finance with them at special APR, but there's $3500 dealer cash if you take the standard rate or go 3rd-party, which ends up being a much better deal if the dealer gives you all of it (they will) plus an extra $1000 to match another dealer's offer on your trade in (they did), and you qualify for a good rate with your credit union (I do), which was 2.75%/60mo in my case.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
So wait, do they actually charge extra for people who want to pay cash?

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
I bought mine in Virginia. Flew in from Chicago for the price offered.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Yup but doesn’t really mater. Just finance and payoff immediately.

I'll probably do that. I might pay off 90% immediately and then make a few payments after that just to build my credit score (which is already good).

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
So far the cheapest dealer price I found was 21.9 on a new sport that includes qualifying for $500 partner credit (with SCCA in my case) but no other qualifications needed like college grad, military, financing with them etc. Then add back destination which I think is 800 or 850 and their dealer doc/processing fee which I think is 600 so you're back at around 23.5 plus TTL.

I'm waiting to hear back on another that might be 21.5 after $500 partner discount. Not sure if that includes destination already and any doc/processing fees. The catch is you must register the car in the 3 state area (Maryland, Virginia etc) or they lose 1,250 regional cash and I live in TX so that might not work for me.

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Unfortunately yes, you with not be eligible for VW finance incentives.

Yup but doesn’t really mater. Just finance and payoff immediately.

The dealer may have told you that, but they don't. VW is currently offering $1,000 APR cash if you finance with them using their special APR program. They are not offering any consumer cash if you use a 3rd-party lender, but the dealer collects $3500 from VW if the vehicle is financed at VW standard APR (currently 3.79 for tier 1) or cash sale/3rd-party finance. Some dealers will use the $3500 (partially or fully) to lower their advertised price, while others won't, but end up giving some of it away during the negotiation process (so you'll feel like you're "winning").

The same is true for every car company out there. They will either offer a low APR and a small amount of cash, or a much larger amount for cash or 3rd-party financed sales. The reason for this is that the captive finance company (ie VCI, NMAC, GMAC, Chrysler Capital, whoever) is wholly owned by the car maker, so even though it counts as a sale, the car is really off the books as far as the accountants are concerned. When weighing your options, it's worth it to run the numbers through an auto finance calculator to see the difference in payments between different scenarios; it's often a better deal to take the larger cash incentive and pay a little more interest, assuming you qualify for the tier-1 rate offered by the 3rd-party finance company (usually the local credit union will have the best rate). However, if your credit isn't the best, the captive finance company will often bump you up a tier to get you the lower rate, if that's what it takes to make the sale.

wantone

Ready to race!
He said $21,994 for a Sport but I have to register in VA, DC or MD or they lose $1,250 in regional incentives. I could also apply $500 partner program if I qualify so that would be $21.5 but add back $1,250 for registering out of region.

Is this regional incentive thing true? I know some of the DC area dealers started charging $500 more for out of state buyers, but figured that was easy profit for them since it was still worth it for out of state buyers. When there was a VW salesman at the other VW site getting deals done left and right, tons of people were flying into the DC area to his dealership and driving home. No one paid any more for buying out of state. That was probably a year ago though.

Why would VW or a dealer care about where someone lives when buying a car? And give better pricing to locals?

adam1991

Banned
I'm not sure what this credit is that you guys keep referring to; VW offers $1000 cash if you finance with them at special APR, but there's $3500 dealer cash if you take the standard rate or go 3rd-party, which ends up being a much better deal if the dealer gives you all of it (they will) plus an extra $1000 to match another dealer's offer on your trade in (they did), and you qualify for a good rate with your credit union (I do), which was 2.75%/60mo in my case.

This.

The first place I went to had the best price, as it turns out, right off the bat--no playing around. Cheaper than the Costco price, even, by a few hundo. It was based on me bringing the money in one way or another. I had a $10K trade, so I financed the rest.

So not only were they the cheapest (and that included they gave a VERY competitive trade price), they also found me 1.86% financing for 60 months. That's pretty much same-as-cash. After the dealership get paid for brokering the deal, I don't know how Capital One makes any money on that.

I was not unhappy, although I'm old enough to think that even $30K for a hatchback of any flavor is a whole buncha money. Why, I paid $12,700 for my '92 Civic Si.

Now get off my lawn.