GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Expands the APR Plus Limited Powertrain Warranty Program

dkennedy

Passed Driver's Ed
What if I already have your stage 1 tune? Is there an option to pay more to have this warranty added?

I got word via email from the APR Plus team that they will NOT extend the Plus program for previous Stage 1 customers unless you purchased between Oct 1 & the release day of the updated Plus program. So anyone that has had a Stage 1 tune for several years now, like me, tough.

No further justification beyond that, just no means to support existing customers in adding the limited powertrain warranty.

I imagine they’re trying to cover themselves as they don’t know the extent of abuse a tuned driver may put on their car to date. Then again, there’s no way they’d know how much a driver may abuse their car untuned so if that’s their basis to not extend the program to existing customers, it seems moot.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I’m just curious. Is this warrantied tune, as good/powerful as a “regular” not warrantied apr stage 1 tune? Because the old warrantied tune, apr plus obviously was not. So is this new more powerful warrantied tune the same as an apr stage 1 non warrantied tune, or is it still less than?

dkennedy

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m just curious. Is this warrantied tune, as good/powerful as a “regular” not warrantied apr stage 1 tune? Because the old warrantied tune, apr plus obviously was not. So is this new more powerful warrantied tune the same as an apr stage 1 non warrantied tune, or is it still less than?

This version is stronger than the first iteration Plus, but not quite on par with the HO Stage 1 tune. I believe someone mentioned it was closer to the LO Stage 1 tune, which is stronger than the first iteration of Plus. Either way I’d take the change from HO to LO to be covered by Plus, but apparently that’s not viable for people that have been on Stage 1 longer than 3 months.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
This version is stronger than the first iteration Plus, but not quite on par with the HO Stage 1 tune. I believe someone mentioned it was closer to the LO Stage 1 tune, which is stronger than the first iteration of Plus. Either way I’d take the change from HO to LO to be covered by Plus, but apparently that’s not viable for people that have been on Stage 1 longer than 3 months.

Ok, so technically it’s not a “stage 1 high output” tune. So while stronger than their old plus tune, is still noticeably weaker than their best non warrantied “stage 1” tune. So better than it used to be but not as good as what most have been running, rather trouble free anyway, for the last 2-3 years.

So for some the idea of being covered might be worth it, for those who want their best performing tune wouldn’t be buying this anyway. Well, it’s nice to have options!

ssaylor

Passed Driver's Ed
Boy, this is great news. After taking a beating on the original product, it was made right. The 2017 Powertrain warranty is 60 months and with the 2018 moving to 72 months, it makes the Plus product even more attractive. Now, when is that spring sale again?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I got word via email from the APR Plus team that they will NOT extend the Plus program for previous Stage 1 customers unless you purchased between Oct 1 & the release day of the updated Plus program. So anyone that has had a Stage 1 tune for several years now, like me, tough.

No further justification beyond that, just no means to support existing customers in adding the limited powertrain warranty.

I imagine they’re trying to cover themselves as they don’t know the extent of abuse a tuned driver may put on their car to date. Then again, there’s no way they’d know how much a driver may abuse their car untuned so if that’s their basis to not extend the program to existing customers, it seems moot.
It's like getting picked up for possession of MJ only to see it legalized 2 months later. We're harmless tuners, APR!

dkennedy

Passed Driver's Ed
It's like getting picked up for possession of MJ only to see it legalized 2 months later. We're harmless tuners, APR!

Sadly they don’t see it as harmless if they’re not willing to provide coverage. Guess I’ll have to wait for the next VW or Audi buy to utilize the program.

Porknozzle

Passed Driver's Ed
You may want to look into this

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
This is a great offering Arin.

I have a 6mt and without a doubt, the factory clutch will start to slip once Stage 1 is installed. I'm assuming the clutch wouldn't be a covered item?

6MT clutch is not covered under the factory or APR warranty. The DSG clutch is. Keep in mind we're giving you the lower torque option to help with clutch slip, and we allow clutch upgrades.

Does the APR warranty include extended factory warranties sold by the dealership?

We're only covering the terms of your original limited powertrain warranty. We dont cover extensions.

Sounds good on paper...but could be a potential headache in practice. I wonder which unfortunate soul is going to be the first to test out APR's third party warranty.

Success of the program demands happy customers. If we're crappy, customers will throw a fit and it will fail. Point being, we're going to make damn sure we're covering what we say we'll cover.

So how does this work for those of us that have to drive 2-3 hours to get tuned? I have an Audi dealer in my city, but no other German car repair facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Currently APR dealer only. This program may not be an option for everyone unfortunately.

What if I already have your stage 1 tune? Is there an option to pay more to have this warranty added?

Unfortunately not really, unless you just did the tune this month, then we can discuss options.

This new tune is more powerful than the old plus tune. It's the exact same tune as our Stage 1 low torque 91 octane software.