GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone upholstery over the plastic bits?

crbauhs

Curious if anyone has done some custom interiors, mainly focusing around covering up the doors/dash/center console plastic bits with another material, like suede or Alcantara or other soft touch material. Coming recently to the MK7R from the mustang scene, this was a pretty popular thing that alot of people have been doing. And I would personally love to make the R's interior a bit nicer to the touch, a bit higher end feeling.

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
I hear you about the Golf R interior. I was fairly deep in the S-197 Mustang scene and there were some creative ideas and work done on interiors.

Take a look at my thread; http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37446.

There is little response currently but it might provoke some interest after a few weeks. I'll post updates if I choose an upholstery shop and get started in earnest.

I agree with you on utilizing some soft touch materials. I particularly dislike the so-called piano black bits. To me they are just dust and smear magnets that drive me nuts.

Good interior work is expensive but I know that plenty of Golf enthusiasts are dropping three grand and more on power and chassis mods. Well, for me the R has plenty of power stock and the cornering limits are far beyond my skills and nerve. Personally, I'd prefer to spring 3-4 large on transforming the interior 'cause I spend way more time sitting in there than I do launching 0-60 runs and fretting over which inter-cooler upgrade to buy.

crbauhs

Exactly! I have a map 6 JB4 and it's more than fast for me. As fast as my built S197,easily. So I am wanting to figure out the interior since that's what really matters for me now. Performance is good. Now how do I make it better inside. I'm thinking of some good carbon fiber bits, leather on the center console sides, and the doors as well. Just to make it nice and comfortable. Maybe suede.