GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I have every mod to reduce wheel hop yet it's only gotten worse. When does it end?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iflyforfood

Passed Driver's Ed
If it is worse the stock, you may have a bad engine or transmission mount. I have the 034 engine and transmission mount with dogbone insert and have significantly less hop then stock. I still have to feather in the throttle, but not nearly as much as with the stock mounts.

As I said, it got worse after I put them on right before I made the post. I've checked every bushing/mount you name it after a few runs, everything is fine, for now.

I'm paying much less per month than any of the numbers I saw in that one price thread by a big margin AND I knocked down the residual down by a few thousand. My dealer is the one that failed. I'm probably buying it after the lease is up either way. I got a much better deal than I had financed a purchase.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
"Just bolt your engine directly to the frame and go 100% spherical bearings."
Having it welded. Bolts may loosen up.
"Also get a mouth guard"
Wife tells me that sometimes.
"and a chiropractor."
I've heard they're all chiro-QUACK-tors.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I'm paying much less per month than any of the numbers I saw in that one price thread by a big margin AND I knocked down the residual down by a few thousand. My dealer is the one that failed. I'm probably buying it after the lease is up either way. I got a much better deal than I had financed a purchase.

Well done. Mod away, Sir. Hope we both find a cure for hop, because it is simply intolerable.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Here is a good article on wheel hop and its cause LINK

Basically go to poly bushings in your suspension to tame it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Has anyone created a list of the most important super pro bushings and the tools needed to push them in?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Has anyone created a list of the most important super pro bushings and the tools needed to push them in?

Simple Hydraulic press from Harbor Freight or similar works great. 125.00

jalalor

get better tires

with my stock Hankook tires I had constant WH on my DSG/PP GTI anytime there was any moisture on the ground. when I switched to 17"/DWS06 winter setup it all about disappeared. I have to go out of my way now to force a WH.

I like the setup so much better that I might just keep it like that year around...

iflyforfood

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: had the track shop look at it. Turns out my engine mount's rubber was starting to dislodge, and the engine was slightly lopsided. 034 warrantied it.

Then went back to my original shop to get new ones put back in (same 034 density ones). Aaaaaaaaaaaaand... WH still there, though at least the onset was much later, but felt just as bad once it started hoppin'. Rage mode engaged.

Upon closer inspection the dogbone puck on the subframe appears to be slightly damaged because of the 034 insert slamming against it. Putting in the red HPA dogbone upgrade tomorrow and hoping that finally takes care of it.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I try to warn people that using a stiff dogbone mount by itself may help with hop at first, but over 10s of thousands of miles the added stress gets shot straight to your soft 40-50 durometer engine mount. This greatly reduces the life span and will make hop worse in the long run. I did the same thing. However I have found that two things contribute the most to reducing fwd hop and torque steer: Bigger tires that are of a more radial design (pilot ss). This allows the car to cleanly break loose when it loses traction. My car is either hooking or straight breaking loose, no in between (clean spins are a good thing!) 2nd: YOUR SPRING BUSHINGS. The reason we get such bad hop is because our bushings flex so much under load causing the front tires to move horizontally in relation to the ground, changing contact points and hence, wheel hop. 3rd would-be better dogbone and engine mounts but the first two play a better role imho.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I haven't read the whole thread but I'll chime in with what I know:

Wheel hop isn't always from engine movement. Most wheel hop happens from axle bind from loading up the drivetrain suddenly from a dead stop with decently sticky tires. The biggest contributor to axle bind is the angle of the engine when under load. When you put in stiff mounts you're trying to keep the engine from moving to that angle. Most of the time when you take the articulation of the engine torquing out of the equation it keeps the binding from happening too much.

What needs to be done is someone needs to make a set of mounts that rotates the engine so that when the engine torques up, it keeps the axle angle to almost zero where the binding won't happen. The bonus is also the mounts don't need to be super stiff so you get no real increase in NVH, but no wheel hop from axle bind.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I haven't read the whole thread but I'll chime in with what I know:

Wheel hop isn't always from engine movement. Most wheel hop happens from axle bind from loading up the drivetrain suddenly from a dead stop with decently sticky tires. The biggest contributor to axle bind is the angle of the engine when under load. When you put in stiff mounts you're trying to keep the engine from moving to that angle. Most of the time when you take the articulation of the engine torquing out of the equation it keeps the binding from happening too much.

What needs to be done is someone needs to make a set of mounts that rotates the engine so that when the engine torques up, it keeps the axle angle to almost zero where the binding won't happen. The bonus is also the mounts don't need to be super stiff so you get no real increase in NVH, but no wheel hop from axle bind.

I assume the engine needs to be rotated forward since it rotates back on acceleration? You should contact Integrated Engineering, they don't have any mounts out yet :D!

shapeshifter1

Passed Driver's Ed
Only based on my own experience, I tend to agree with some of the latter posts. I went from stock everything with tons of wheel hop, to VWR springs, lightweight wheels, and 235 Conti Extremes. No wheel hop I can ever recall in the past 2 years.

Driving aggressively over asphalt, the setup I have now either has full grip or no grip, meaning I can hear the tires chirp and break loose but without the wheel hop to go with it.

So for me at least, mounts, bushings, etc weren't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.