GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Suspension Creaking Out Of Driveway

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Hi guys,

I installed ED springs on my gti with 7k miles on the clock.

I reused the mounts and bearings not to mention using air to assemble them. (That’s full disclosure always worked on mk4’s and 3’s) I wouldn’t do it that way again.

My driveway is sloped and when I turn the wheel coming out it creaks on the passenger side.

I’m looking to find out if that’s the bearings/mounts or a characteristic of the ED springs?

Thanks everyone

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I have noise as well after doing my MSS fronts. Not much, but slow speed sharp bumps cause some noise.

I feel you. It is frustrating after doing all that work, and expecting it to sound just like was when the oem springs were on.

I am about to redo mine with new strut bearings and bolts. Hopefully I get it right this time. My strut bearings only have 10k on them, so I reused them on the first install.

Hopefully you can get it worked out. Sometimes the endlinks will make a bit of noise after install for a while. You might try taking a look at those to see if they need to be re-torqued.

Is the noise happening elsewhere on other portions of you drive?

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Please let me know if it fixes it! Are you using stock strut mounts?

I get it another time at work. It’s a long heave in the parking lot it freaks going up and over it.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Lol I’ve already been scolded for it by him :cool:

But hey if it I’ll help everything be quiet I’ll assemble it without air.

AR11

Ready to race!
Wow thats a very persistent noise. You haven't even touched the subframe though, have from (guessing from your signature line).

Do the community a favor and update your thread with what you've tried and what did or didn't help. There are already a million and a half complaint threads and 500 million recommendations to replace strut bearings but still very few reported successful fixes.

Good luck

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It won't let me edit the above post....but maybe look into the deadset kit, since the subframe can move...
http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspensio...deadset-rigid-subframe-kit-for-mk7/mqb/a3/s3/

Can you get a video OP?
I'd probably start by seeing if the springs are making contact first like here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32175
Then I'd swap out the bearings and double check the install after that.
If it still persist, get under the car and see if the subframe is moving (it'll leave marks on the "frame") and also check the torque on the bolts

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Glad I could help :rolleyes:

If the install started your noise it's not the subframe. But just for peace of mind look at the outside edges of where the subframe meets the unibody. The paint will be scuffed or scratched off if it's moving...ECS has a good video showing it on a mk5 (this was a common issue on mk5 & 6)

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone!

I will get under there shortly. I hope I will be able to see the top of the spring if I pull a Wheel. I will also try and get a video.

It’s only the passenger side that does this as well. Regardless of which direction I leave the drive.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
So subframe to the body was tight and I could not see or feel any running from the coil. It was hard to see but the coils where they would bind felt smooth and consistent.

If I replace the bearing should I replace the mount as well?

I now have a vid but not sure how to get it on here?

Also, over smaller abrupt bumps I’ll hear it when the suspension compresses and decompresses. 1 creak up and 1 down

Last edited:

AR11

Ready to race!
What's weird is that in the video under the car....I'm not sure where he had the camera mounted, but the camera is moving side to side when he moved the car instead of staying stationary

Yea this is really bugging me now too. OP what's the deal with this?