GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody has stock clutch on manual & uni stg1?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I was 5200 miles slip free on cobb MAP state 1 93 octane. I tried to induce clutch slip a couple times and never got any. Currently running an SRE clutch as a preemptive measure. When stock clutch was pulled it still looked perfect and fly wheel was fine with no burn marks. I have a feeling driving skill/style is playing a significant role in who experience clutch slip and those who don't.

Your feeling would be incorrect. It's less a matter of driving style than it is luck of the draw. Torque is torque. Stage 1 tunes put the GTI at torque levels either flirting with, or greatly exceeding the stock clutch's intended torque capacity (Stock torque capacity: ~300 ft lbs)

Clutches are manufactured en masse, and if you understand how bell curves work, you'll understand the distribution of which clutches slip, which don't, and how long it takes the ones that dont slip immediately to slip.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
4/16 build. Been on catless dp, intake mods, and NPM on +7 with 93 top tier pump and 30-50% corn now for about 13,800 miles. Spins the tires a little in 3rd in cooler air on certain surfaces. Not clutch slip. Have never d-bagged the clutch by rpm clutch dump (why?) nor 5th-6th low rpm (I’m too lazy to downshift) wot move. Wow. Could it be sheer coincidence...? Not saying stock is perfect nor strongest clutch, but the stories (on here) shed a ton of light on most of the failures.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
These clutches will slip. All these threads do is reaffirm people's egos and feed their rational for getting that cai or catback instead of a clutch first. 90% probably don't even notice it. But it has nothing to do with driving style or being skilled with a manual. If you have a real tune and are pushing mid 300 ftq numbers, the tq overwhelms the discs hold on the flywheel. It's not as if skill defeats this, as it is physics. Even if it's not slipping you can rest assured the margin between crank and wheel HP is much larger than if you were to suck it up buttercup and she'll out the cashola.

With that being said, I ran stock clutch for over 30k tuned miles and have the aforementioned build date 15.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Your feeling would be incorrect. It's less a matter of driving style than it is luck of the draw. Torque is torque. Stage 1 tunes put the GTI at torque levels either flirting with, or greatly exceeding the stock clutch's intended torque capacity (Stock torque capacity: ~300 ft lbs)

Clutches are manufactured en masse, and if you understand how bell curves work, you'll understand the distribution of which clutches slip, which don't, and how long it takes the ones that dont slip immediately to slip.

I understand what you're saying but to apply a Gaussian distribution to clutch failure, we would need to know the mean and standard deviations to figure out what's going on the with clutches. Not even looking at the statistics (which I doubt anyone has or knows), and just looking at what I have experienced; I was not able to induce clutch slippage on stage 1 or stage 2 when intentionally trying on the highway (WOT in too low a gear). I did this almost everyday for months because I knew I had an upgraded clutch sitting in my garage. I was surprised not to get any slippage after reading that some people experienced it immediately after applying a tune. I was thinking that perhaps some people had weakened their clutch initially from poor manual driving habits. I'm not pointing any fingers but I've seen it time and time again, especially with manual transmissions being a dying breed. I do think you are right when you say that is it luck of the draw. I think it's a bunch of factors.. luck, driving style, ambient temperature, age of clutch etc etc... It's a little confusing though because I know a couple of people still on the stock clutch pushing more power than me with no issue. So who knows??

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I understand what you're saying but to apply a Gaussian distribution to clutch failure, we would need to know the mean and standard deviations to figure out what's going on the with clutches. Not even looking at the statistics (which I doubt anyone has or knows), and just looking at what I have experienced; I was not able to induce clutch slippage on stage 1 or stage 2 when intentionally trying on the highway (WOT in too low a gear). I did this almost everyday for months because I knew I had an upgraded clutch sitting in my garage. I was surprised not to get any slippage after reading that some people experienced it immediately after applying a tune. I was thinking that perhaps some people had weakened their clutch initially from poor manual driving habits. I'm not pointing any fingers but I've seen it time and time again, especially with manual transmissions being a dying breed. I do think you are right when you say that is it luck of the draw. I think it's a bunch of factors.. luck, driving style, ambient temperature, age of clutch etc etc... It's a little confusing though because I know a couple of people still on the stock clutch pushing more power than me with no issue. So who knows??

Your own anecdote adds strength to my argument that it's luck of the draw. You said you drove over 30K tuned miles on your clutch, on repeated occasions intentionally going WOT at low RPM in 5/6, trying to get it to slip. It didn't. That proves that it's less driving style than it is the quality variance between the clutches.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I've been running my JB4 on Map 2 for a little over 1 year, and put on over 40000 kms with no slip whatsoever. With that being said, I have never done any high RPM launches. I also wait until the clutch is full engaged before getting on the gas in my shifts. I don't race, but, I do drive "spiritedly". Interestingly, I also do full gas pushes in high gears, and haven't experienced any issues.

I'll be going with a Stage 1 tune (probably Cobb) in the summer, when my warranty expires (80000km), and will be interested to see how the clutch handles it. If I have to replace it, then it is what it is. I'll leave the stock clutch in, until it gives me grief.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Stage 2 Uni here, was stage 1+ at 1k on the odometer and went stage 2 at around 5k. Still on the stock clutch and coming up on 10k soon. I don't baby the car, but I'm also not doing burnouts at every stop light. I know it'll prob go eventually and I'm fully prepared for that, but as of right now it's doing just fine.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've been running my JB4 on Map 2 for a little over 1 year, and put on over 40000 kms with no slip whatsoever. With that being said, I have never done any high RPM launches. I also wait until the clutch is full engaged before getting on the gas in my shifts. I don't race, but, I do drive "spiritedly". Interestingly, I also do full gas pushes in high gears, and haven't experienced any issues.

I'll be going with a Stage 1 tune (probably Cobb) in the summer, when my warranty expires (80000km), and will be interested to see how the clutch handles it. If I have to replace it, then it is what it is. I'll leave the stock clutch in, until it gives me grief.

Cobb's OTS Stage 1 is the least impressive ECU tune on the entire market. Your JB4 Map 2 puts out higher numbers.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Cobb's OTS Stage 1 is the least impressive ECU tune on the entire market. Your JB4 Map 2 puts out higher numbers.

Yup. Better off with MAP STAGE 1. The Cobb stage 1 is equivalent to a stage .5 tune from any other tuner.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie

Fair point on the OTS tune. I'll be taking it to Stratified Auto in Vancouver (Canada). They will do the Cobb install (for the 15 minutes that it will take), run a custom tune for the car, and then support the tune tweaks as needed down the road.

K_C

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah but how are you driving it? Try flooring it in 3rd and 4th gear and then get back to us. Guaranteed it will slip then.
I do floor it in 3rd and 4th a good amount on highway for passing. No slipping yet.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
Fair point on the OTS tune. I'll be taking it to Stratified Auto in Vancouver (Canada). They will do the Cobb install (for the 15 minutes that it will take), run a custom tune for the car, and then support the tune tweaks as needed down the road.

Glad to see another stratified customer. They built my tune and the experience had been splendid. You def need an upgraded clutch for the power they make. The way the car pulls now makes me believe it will shred a stock clutch.