ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Anyone with the Schwaben able to successfully drain all the oil? First time using it and didn’t seem like it got everything. Was able to drain a bit over 5l. Checked the oil prior to extraction (warm engine) and was at the appropriate oil level (just above the checkered part of the dipstick end according to the manual)

Tried all the tips mentioned in other threads... Slight incline, warm engine (not hot) and let the car sit for 15 mins so the oil drains down to the pan, don’t push the tube further when you feel resistance so the tube doesn’t curl, adjust the tube when it starts running clear, crack the oil filter housing loose before extracting.

Did I miss something or does the oil extractor just not work as well as the old drain plug method?

tknj99

Ready to race!
Bought the Schwaben on the recent sale at $59 but haven't used it yet. A friend that also has it told me it left a few ounces in the pan as he removed the drain plug the first time to verify. Perhaps you should have checked the oil level on a cold engine as when you check the dipstick when warm, the oil is at higher level than usual

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
There will always be a tiny bit of oil left even if you do the drain plug way. It won’t affect anyyyhing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Remember some oil is trapped in the oil filter. That will account for some of the missing oil.

I think I'll do the drain plug oil change next time and compare the two. If it's roughly the same amount missing, I'll just keep doing the extractor as it's much more convenient.

FWIW I loosened the oil filter housing while I was extracting.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I change the filter while waiting for the sucker to suck the oil out and the oil is warm.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I've use my extractor four times so far and I've always had around 5.5L come out, usually it starts picking up air so I pull the filter and it sucks up another amount after that.

My issue is the dipstick tube always getting oil all over the dipstick and it being a pain to read. Still its much easier than the dipstick on my mk5.