GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alternative to the switchblade key fob?

freeclimbmtb1

I guess this is more of a rhetorical question than a true one...but here goes...

Has anyone heard or seen an alternative to the switchblade key fobs? I was thinking maybe in one of the European markets. The reason I ask is because I am constantly getting my key stuck in my pocket, wallet, whatever else I have because it springs open and snags while in my pocket. (Or it just tears a hole in my pocket...how...I dont know.) I didn't care as much with the Mk6 or my Passat as they actually needed the key, but with the Mk7, the only time I would ever need the actual key is if the fob battery dies and I have to peel the door handle apart...and being a lease I HIGHLY doubt that will happen before I turn it in.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of VW making the move to the proximity fob style that everyone else seems to use where the key locks into the fob more securely..

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I cut a thin strip of black electrical tape and wrapped it around the fob, between the lock button and the button which opens the blade. Hasn't opened on me once. If I ever need the actual key, I can just pull off the tape.

I love Kessy, but hate these damn keys. They're just way too big. Would love to have a smaller transponder, and just hide the key blade underneath the car somewhere. DeAutoKey was talking on Vortex about coming up with a solution, but it's sounding like that may never materialize.

slide13

Ready to race!
Agree, love Kessy but they need a smaller key since you almost never need to use it.

I actually switched to a "Mission Wallet" which has a couple small pouches up front, a card slot, and then a zipper compartment for cash/coin. Most people carry a pocket knife or something in the larger pouch but I got it to hold my key fob. It's a tight fit but I never pull it out to use it except when taking it in for service so it works for me.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Agree, love Kessy but they need a smaller key since you almost never need to use it.

Irony: When I had my 8th-gen Civic, I wanted a switchblade key. Almost made one myself, but didn't because the aftermarket parts to make it were sketchy. Now I have a car with a switchblade key, which I will never use because I have KESSY. :D

A slimmer fob with a removable emergency key would have made more sense, but that would mean making 2 different types of keys for a few different models, so the bean-counters probably said no.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
The key fob is a bit bulky. My other car has a key fob with similar features as KESSY, but is a bit more compact. I like that the key itself detaches with press of a small button as opposed to the switchblade action. I thought the switchblade on my MK4's keychain was cool as hell when I bought it, not gonna lie.

Attachments

• 24796628_10203789311769784_6845979059053029023_n.jpg
    24796628_10203789311769784_6845979059053029023_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 853
  • 24991497_10203789311809785_7200513104808882539_n.jpg
    24991497_10203789311809785_7200513104808882539_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 923
  • 24774907_10203789311849786_675474356620214645_n.jpg
    24774907_10203789311849786_675474356620214645_n.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 811

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I cut a thin strip of black electrical tape and wrapped it around the fob, between the lock button and the button which opens the blade. Hasn't opened on me once. If I ever need the actual key, I can just pull off the tape.

I love Kessy, but hate these damn keys. They're just way too big. Would love to have a smaller transponder, and just hide the key blade underneath the car somewhere. DeAutoKey was talking on Vortex about coming up with a solution, but it's sounding like that may never materialize.
edit: I wrapped one layer of tape around the key blade itself. It crates enough friction that you need to pry it out a bit when you hit the release button.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My MK5 key popped open all of the time. I have a silicone cover on my MK7. It makes the fob much bulkier but it does seems to keep me from accidentally hitting the button.

There's a member who removed the electronics from his fob and 3-D printed a small case for them.

freeclimbmtb1

I have to say I expecting all the replys to be "first world problems" or "quit complaining"!

I was pleasently surprised to see that I'm not the only one who had the problem! I used the heat shrink idea and its worked flawlessly! Thanks everyone for the help and ideas!!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I have to say I expecting all the replys to be "first world problems" or "quit complaining"!

I was pleasently surprised to see that I'm not the only one who had the problem! I used the heat shrink idea and its worked flawlessly! Thanks everyone for the help and ideas!!

I think my post earlier in this thread is the definition of "First-world problem." :D