GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Expands the APR Plus Limited Powertrain Warranty Program

Snitt

Ready to race!
Or until the insurance company goes bankrupt.

If they sell 1000 of the $400 warranties, they will get $400,000. If an engine replacement is $7,000, they could replace 57 engines and still remain profitable. I don't think 57 out of every 1000 VW engines grenade with this tune.

Unless my math is wrong, which is entirely possible. :)

I also didn't consider "minor" repairs like turbo failures, which would cut into profitability. It also doesn't include the profit they make on each tune, which is probably considerable.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
If they sell 1000 of the $400 warranties, they will get $400,000. If an engine replacement is $7,000, they could replace 57 engines and still remain profitable. I don't think 57 out of every 1000 VW engines grenade with this tune.

Unless my math is wrong, which is entirely possible. [emoji4]

I also didn't consider "minor" repairs like turbo failures, which would cut into profitability. It also doesn't include the profit they make on each tune, which is probably considerable.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R

Unless my math is wrong, which is entirely possible. :)

In my eyes it's also a good indication that the Stage 1 tune is relatively safe for your engine/turbo/drivetrain, they wouldn't offer it if they thought they would be paying out lots of claims.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
In my eyes it's also a good indication that the Stage 1 tune is relatively safe for your engine/turbo/drivetrain, they wouldn't offer it if they thought they would be paying out lots of claims.
So true. If it's an insurance game, some might feel better pocketing the difference for a rainy day.

Anotherbob

Passed Driver's Ed
I've just recently purchased a new GTI and have been looking into the APR+ tune. One thing that was made abundantly clear to me is that the APR+ ONLY includes the Stage 1 low output/low torque tune, so those that already have the Stage 1 HO/HT tune (which I would rather have!) would likely not be eligible for warranty coverage even if they did offer it to those who already had a tune installed.

One inequity that I would love to have Arin address is why is the APR+ price the same for the 2018 vehicles with the much longer factory warranty, as it is for 2017 and under vehicles with a much shorter factory warranty. Seems to me that the 2017 and under owners ought to be getting a price break seeing as their coverage time would be so much shorter.

Anotherbob

Passed Driver's Ed
So true. If it's an insurance game, some might feel better pocketing the difference for a rainy day.

This whole thing just makes me even more hesitant to get the HT/HO Stage 1 tune that I really would rather have if it ends up the LO/LT APR+ tune sucks. If they don't have enough confidence to cover it under a warranty, (which I would pay a couple of hundred dollars more for), then how is the average consumer supposed to have confidence in it? Hell, I'd be happy to only get the LT/LO numbers at the much lower RPMs of the HT/HO tune.

Of course, once the ECU is flashed for any tune it will throw a TD1 code at the dealer even if the APR+ tune was not satisfactory and I had it removed within a week, which means I'm either locked into the APR+ tune to keep my powertrain warranty, or I likely lose it upon it's removal, but get the $1100.00 bucks back. Clearly the only fiscally responsible choice would be to keep the APR+ whether I like it or not.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This whole thing just makes me even more hesitant to get the HT/HO Stage 1 tune that I really would rather have if it ends up the LO/LT APR+ tune sucks. If they don't have enough confidence to cover it under a warranty, (which I would pay a couple of hundred dollars more for), then how is the average consumer supposed to have confidence in it? Hell, I'd be happy to only get the LT/LO numbers at the much lower RPMs of the HT/HO tune.

Of course, once the ECU is flashed for any tune it will throw a TD1 code at the dealer even if the APR+ tune was not satisfactory and I had it removed within a week, which means I'm either locked into the APR+ tune to keep my powertrain warranty, or I likely lose it upon it's removal, but get the $1100.00 bucks back. Clearly the only fiscally responsible choice would be to keep the APR+ whether I like it or not.

Yeah, never get a flash tune if you want to keep your VW warranty. And once you buy APR+ you're kind of stuck with it. I think they will let you upgrade to the more powerful tunes for free (with dealer installation costs) but you lose the APR+ warranty. Or you can try a piggyback for $170, and if don't like it you should still be able to get the APR+ tune with warranty.

Last edited: