GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your Engine failures

Subito

Ready to race!
I think it was Fed that posted a link to the VW patent submission or something recommending an Italian tune up. I think it spec'd a lower RPM though. It's early so I'm not remembering super clearly haha.

I believe it was 20 minutes at 3,000 rpm.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The best way to do it (if you actually believe such things are beneficial) is a 5th gear 80 mph cruise at 3 to 3.2ish rpms for 15-20 minutes.

55belairgasser

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought the car from Bob Boast, but I never had them service it. The only Dealership that has serviced it is Reeves in Tampa. 50 min. car ride but a much better service department. Car was a very early '15. I got it like three days after VW rolled it out to the dealerships in Fl.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
I bought the car from Bob Boast, but I never had them service it. The only Dealership that has serviced it is Reeves in Tampa. 50 min. car ride but a much better service department. Car was a very early '15. I got it like three days after VW rolled it out to the dealerships in Fl.

ahhhhh sounds right. I'd heard good things about Reeves and almost got my mk6 tuned by them.

Rummy

I bought my GTI from Reeves a few weeks ago. Their service department is nice - and they have a full performance and tuning building. They've got like seven dealerships all in a row that share all the resources, which I think can be a good thing.

It means their performance/tuning guys are working on Audis', Porsches', and BMW just as much as VW. That probably gives them a higher standard of care.

Unfortunately, the dealership is way out in Temple Terrace, so its definitely a haul if you are in CW/St. Pete - or really anywhere south of the bridge.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

JBThrasher22

Bumping this since I don't get on here much but saw it.

My wife bought a used 2015 with 10k miles in 2015. Motor let go at 45ishk miles the next year ( we drove 100 miles round trip for work a day so lots of miles ). Dealership found a tune in the ecu which was there from before we bought the car. Agreed for us to just have to pay to the reflash to stock price which was $500 and they would replace the engine.

New engine let go at the 62k mark less that 7 months later. Same exact cause missfire on same cylinder. VWOA said it was past the 12k/12 month warranty and over the new car warranty regardless that it was the same issue the first motor had less that a year after replacement. Well dealer helped us by just charging us their at price of the motor to replace it $5600. Two weeks later we traded the car in for a different car.

That experience left a very bad taste in my mouth. I understand that it was out of warranty but there is no reason the 2nd engine should have had the same exact failure within 20k miles and less that a year after replacement. This was a new crate engine also.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bumping this since I don't get on here much but saw it.

My wife bought a used 2015 with 10k miles in 2015. Motor let go at 45ishk miles the next year ( we drove 100 miles round trip for work a day so lots of miles ). Dealership found a tune in the ecu which was there from before we bought the car. Agreed for us to just have to pay to the reflash to stock price which was $500 and they would replace the engine.

New engine let go at the 62k mark less that 7 months later. Same exact cause missfire on same cylinder. VWOA said it was past the 12k/12 month warranty and over the new car warranty regardless that it was the same issue the first motor had less that a year after replacement. Well dealer helped us by just charging us their at price of the motor to replace it $5600. Two weeks later we traded the car in for a different car.

That experience left a very bad taste in my mouth. I understand that it was out of warranty but there is no reason the 2nd engine should have had the same exact failure within 20k miles and less that a year after replacement. This was a new crate engine also.

Was 2nd engine tuned too?
What cylinder?

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
an italian tune-up a day keeps the mechanic away...
Amen sir. Once warm =)
My 2015 2 liter Benz motor had a rebuild of the pistons and rods and fuel pump/fas tank replacement and then seals for engine again

All under 10k miles. All subsequent years were fixed. Forums passed around tsbs and got alot of people including me the data I needed to walk in the dealer and get taken care of. This thread is a necessity.

My engine is sofar strong and happy. 6500 miles, 5.5 months.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Amen sir. Once warm =)
My 2015 2 liter Benz motor had a rebuild of the pistons and rods and fuel pump/fas tank replacement and then seals for engine again

All under 10k miles. All subsequent years were fixed. Forums passed around tsbs and got alot of people including me the data I needed to walk in the dealer and get taken care of. This thread is a necessity.

My engine is sofar strong and happy. 6500 miles, 5.5 months.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I can't remember where I saw it here on the forum (might also have been on vortex), but the patent for the engine in the MK7 actually notes that sustained operation above 3000 RPM for at least 20 minutes after oil reaches operating temp builds up sufficient heat and pressure to help cook off buildup on the valves.

Every day going in to work I roll in 5th gear on the freeway, and at the speeds we commute at here on I-95, my RPM's stay at about 3300 for a solid 25 minutes. I have no idea what condition my valves are in (I'm at 33000 miles and curious what my state of buildup is), but my engine feels and sounds like its running great. Oil changes every 5k, good synthetic, Stage 1 Unitronic. I don't flog it needlessly and always let the oil reach at least 185 F before doing any sort of spirited driving. Here's hoping this ritual is working!