GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Nice. I have a bfi stage 1 trans mount on my rabbit. BFI stage 2 engine/trans for the gti. I think they have some of the better mounts out of the rest I've seen. You'll like them, completely changes the way the power is put down.

Most of the reviews seem pretty good. I had a threaded rod and some hockey pucks for a motor mount on a previous car so my standards for acceptable NVH are pretty low hahaha.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Motor mount in, feels great. Didn’t realize how much the stock mount let the motor flop around. Aaaand the replacement hardware for the trans mount was delivered 30 minutes after I got the car off jack stands.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Motor mount in, feels great. Didn’t realize how much the stock mount let the motor flop around. Aaaand the replacement hardware for the trans mount was delivered 30 minutes after I got the car off jack stands.

yep it's quite insane how big of a difference they make.

Looking for some stocking stuffer gift ideas... what are you guys getting the ladies in your life for christmas?

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Subscribed. Between temporarily moving 2.5 hours west for work this week and planning a wedding we’re just doing stockings this year. I have nothing planned other than this hard to find hemp based lip balm she insists on using.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I go ride bikes for a week in Georgia every year with friends. That’s her present, Valentine’s Day, anniversary present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Subscribed. Between temporarily moving 2.5 hours west for work this week and planning a wedding we’re just doing stockings this year. I have nothing planned other than this hard to find hemp based lip balm she insists on using.
My gf's birthday is on the 29th. Makes it rough being so close to christmas. I have to buy a bunch of stuff for her family this year and I have no clue what to get them. Christmas gifts feel so forced. Would so much rather invite them over and make everyone breakfast or something.
I go ride bikes for a week in Georgia every year with friends. That’s her present, Valentine’s Day, anniversary present.

Not bad. What kind of biking do you do?

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Road bikes, have a cross bike with studded tires for this Chicago ice, and a fatbike to roll around for fun. But in Georgia it’s all climbs and bombing descents. Helen, Georgia if anyone knows that area.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
I used to ride single track quite a bit. I’ve been eyeing those Niner RLT gravel grinder bikes for sometime now. A full blown road bike with its cost and fragile wheels just doesn’t appeal to me.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
My gf is really into riding fixed gear bikes. She used to be a messenger downtown back in the younger days. I don't get it, seems like so much hassle. I have a cannondale road bike that she makes fun of me for riding because it's not a hipster fixed gear and I get to coast lol. meh. I'm old.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Putting the transmission mount and shifter bracket bushings in right now. Bracket bushings weren’t bad, besides getting to that horizontal stud. Had to carefully start threading the nut back on with a magnetic pickup tool. Working around this wire loom support above the transmission mount looks like it’s goint to be a real fun time though. Even after popping all the clips to the body with a small pry bar there’s hardly any wiggle room to get to the mount to body bolts.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Putting the transmission mount and shifter bracket bushings in right now. Bracket bushings weren’t bad, besides getting to that horizontal stud. Had to carefully start threading the nut back on with a magnetic pickup tool. Working around this wire loom support above the transmission mount looks like it’s goint to be a real fun time though. Even after popping all the clips to the body with a small pry bar there’s hardly any wiggle room to get to the mount to body bolts.

heh been there too many times. Put your socket on a long extension, get the socket somewhat on the bolt and then use leverage to pry the extension vertically to get the socket all the way on while it's pushing the harness out of the way. That harness is very sturdy and should be able to hold it the force just fine.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!

It seems like mechanics spend an inordinate amount of time just solving problems like this. Reminds me of spending time doing anything with my dad when I was a kid. Plumbing electrical boilers etc

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I picked my road bike up from bikesdirect.com. It's seriously pretty nice for the price compared to a major brand. Top of the line components, carbon fork and super lightweight frame. I have some friends that have some MTB from there and they thrash them. They hold up extremely well. I woudn't bother spending the money for a big name brand again. I can get the same bike for half the cost through BD.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
heh been there too many times. Put your socket on a long extension, get the socket somewhat on the bolt and then use leverage to pry the extension vertically to get the socket all the way on while it's pushing the harness out of the way. That harness is very sturdy and should be able to hold it the force just fine.

I got it done. Used a swivel to get them out and instantly remembered how shitty working with swivels is. Have some new NVH since putting the trans mount in, and some of the NVH that was there with just the engine mount in went away. I think total I have less than 20 miles on either of the mounts. I’m reading that they settle down a bit after 50 miles and fully after 500 or so.