GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USB for backrow

MarcoBe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 2017 Autobahn
Anybody any tips/suggestions to get USB plug access to the back row?

I would like to prevent any cables going from the little console to the rear. Maybe something in the back arm rest?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
The back arm rest is a good idea. I would think you could run a long extension from the center console, under the carpet of the passenger seat, along the passenger edge of the car, up the passenger side of the rear seat and thru the arm rest. You’ll need to be careful to not pinch the cable in the hinge of the arm rest. I think that will be the only place where you could pinch the cable.

Check out some of the videos on YouTube of people installing the helix audio system. That’s the path your cable will need to take.

If you aren’t afriad of removing some trim, it wouldn’t be a hard project.

There might also be a way to pull power from somewhere in the trunk. I know some models have a cig lighter in the trunk by the light on the right side.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I would either pull power from center console or the trunk space as basemodel mentioned. If you do center console, it's probably easier to fish it under the plastic trim and out the backside of the center console. Hell there's a hole where the fasteners are covered that could be perfect to run a cable through if you don't want it dropping straight to the floor.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
How about something like this. Use this to provide chargers for the back in my other car. Plus still have 2 chargers in center console.

Belkin usb extension

paul_s

Is it just for charging or to send data to the front? If it's just charging then surely it would be easier to tap the power from the accessory socket in the boot?

MarcoBe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 2017 Autobahn
It's just to charge some phones or tablets in the rear.

What you guys think about hooking it up in the rear trim (see pic) I guess there is some room behind there for a USB plug to be hooked up.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Had to Google and came across this. Not sure how you could do this in the back, but shouldn't be too hard.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
There is a little bit of room and access to the wiring of the compartment plug. The mechanic of the vents didn’t allow to put my usb-charger in the middle.

It’s so easy to make kids happy [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
There is a little bit of room and access to the wiring of the compartment plug. The mechanic of the vents didn’t allow to put my usb-charger in the middle.

It’s so easy to make kids happy [emoji2]

I actually looking on Aliexpress for that cover where the vents are to do the same thing you did, they have it for like 33 bucks with free shipping , I wanted a second one just in case I messed up or wanted to go back to stock, I was actually wondering about space since the air duct takes must of it. Well done [emoji1360]

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG