GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can I use android auto while also having another phone connected via Bluetooth?

abbyme24

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a '17 GTI SE and was excited to finally have a car with CarPlay. I quickly realized that Apple being Apple severely limited the apps you can use. I can't STAND Apple maps and would really like to use Waze or Google maps which basically means I need an android phone.

My question is - if I got a cheap android phone with data only plan could I just keep it plugged into the USB port for music/nav and then ALSO have my iPhone connected via Bluetooth for phone calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
When you are connected to CarPlay, it takes over your Bluetooth phone connection. So the answer is no, unfortunately.

Have you tried Apple Maps for navigation on CarPlay yet? It's come a LONG ways since its rocky beginnings. I've tried all 3 options - Apple, Google & Waze - and actually prefer Apple Maps, as it is by far the clearest and easiest to read. The other 2 don't format well at all on a smaller screen like MIB2, with street names being hard to read in a really small font. Apple also added speed limit display in iOS 11, a very welcome addition.

abbyme24

Passed Driver's Ed
When you are connected to CarPlay, it takes over your Bluetooth phone connection. So the answer is no, unfortunately.

Have you tried Apple Maps for navigation on CarPlay yet? It's come a LONG ways since its rocky beginnings. I've tried all 3 options - Apple, Google & Waze - and actually prefer Apple Maps, as it is by far the clearest and easiest to read. The other 2 don't format well at all on a smaller screen like MIB2, with street names being hard to read in a really small font. Apple also added speed limit display in iOS 11, a very welcome addition.

Yes I've been using Apple maps while also using Google/Waze and Apple is consistently choosing a worse route traffic wise and is slow to redirect. It also doesn't update the route based on new traffic information nearly as often. And it doesn't think some of the streets in my 1930s neighborhood are one-way which doesn't give me much faith elsewhere.

Sad to hear that I can't effectively use both so it looks like I will be switching over to Android. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk