GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter tires and wheels?

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
Moar digging to report:

Costco has 17" and 18" steelies, bro's.

Page 49 shows us the X47512, 17"x7 (no offset specified), but the fitment guide lists a 16" variant for the Golf GTI, and only the 17" wheel I mentioned above for the Golf GTI "Red Brakes" version LOL (so, some hope that they got it right). $69/each

Tire pressure sensors are $4.00 per pop

https://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/Cost...chment/SteelWheels+FitmentGuide_Sept-2017.pdf

Tyre-wise, Costco has (prices for edit: 225-45/17.. these are much closer in size than 215-50/17's, but much more expensive):
Michelin X-ice Xi3 - $865.96
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 - $859.96
Pirelli Winter Ice Zero - $795.96
Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO 3 - $971.96

Never liked Bridgestones, or Pirelli's (for winter?), so I might go for the Michelin's.

If anyone sees this and needs help to buy tyres due to a lack of Costco membership, holla at me (I need credit card points; win-win!)

Last edited:

Ferrari

Ready to race!
I'm looking for rims that have small openings in the face, like rally wheels. The purpose is to limit the amount of dirt, sand and (most importantly) snow & ice that gets into the rim.

Krishan, I've never seen anyone with such wheels on their GTI PP. The closest would be Sparco Terra, but I'm not sure if it'll fit your car, I only saw them on a regular MK7 Golf. JRP in Mississauga sells Sparco wheels, and they have a discount for Club Wolfsburg members, so join!

I use base GTI Brooklyn 17" rims (17x7.5 ET49) with 225/45-17 Nokian Hakka tires. Great setup, but for the little amount of snow we get in the GTA, a higher performance winter tire (Michelin PA4, Continental TS 850) might be better. The Michelin does not come in 17", so you'd need 18" minimum.

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
You don’t buy tire pressure sensors for our car. That’s wrong.

<foghorn leghorn>ah say, ah say, ah say, whut boy?

Krishan, I've never seen anyone with such wheels on their GTI PP. The closest would be Sparco Terra, but I'm not sure if it'll fit your car, I only saw them on a regular MK7 Golf. JRP in Mississauga sells Sparco wheels, and they have a discount for Club Wolfsburg members, so join!

I use base GTI Brooklyn 17" rims (17x7.5 ET49) with 225/45-17 Nokian Hakka tires. Great setup, but for the little amount of snow we get in the GTA, a higher performance winter tire (Michelin PA4, Continental TS 850) might be better. The Michelin does not come in 17", so you'd need 18" minimum.

ahhhh the Nokkian's are incredible! In the winter, I do primarily commute in the GTA, but on weekends you can find my GTi at the base of a mountain in Quebec, NY or VT ;) I need a good all-rounder, that's cheaper than your tires LOL The hankook iPike's have been good on our FR-S, but I had X-Ice's on my 2010 GTi that worked well enough.

I don't know if wanna risk trying another tyre to be disappointe, HOWEVER the Blizzack WS80 is recieving some praise as being better than the Xice Xi3

Ferrari

Ready to race!
Kris, our cars don't have a TPMS unit in the wheels. They measure wheel speed independently and any difference in angular speed would indicate a lower pressure.

Maybe it's an old wives' tale, but I heard the Bridgestone WS80 are a dual compound tire, so for the first 2 seasons you'll have good grip but a faster wearing tire, then you'll get to the harder compound which will slow the wear, but decrease grip. Not sure, I've never had Bridgestones on my cars (except the OEM ones on the GTI, which were garbage).

m00se

Ready to race!
I've been running Blizzak WS80 for two seasons now, and I love them. I would say they're comparable to the Michelin in terms of performance but at a much better pricing. Well at least they were 2 years ago when I bought them.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
if you guys are in toronto there is a fb group club wolfsburg that has a group buy on winter tires right now. pm me for details

greatsouls

I bought four 17x7-54 alloys from Golf off kijiji for $450 and put 225/50 (instead of 45) Hakkapeliitta 8 on them. That gives a little bit more rubber for the winter.
Will use the original 18"s the car came with only in the summer

Rogi

Michelin X Ice 3, can't say enough excellent things about this winter tire, we used to have Pirellis for the winter and the noise in the cabin of the 08 Rabbit was immense (you feel like you're flying a jumbo jet). Switched over to Michelins and fantastic.
It's the families go to tire now, from Acuras to the new GTI. Its just a perfect blend of performance and handling.

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
Alex!

Lookit this m*&%*f*&#er

It's probably the best winter wheel setup imaginable: lightweight, great protection from snow sand, and ice buildup, and clears the PP/R brakes easily.

Based on the price, though, it doesn't look as awesome as I thought it would, but still looks great.

I ended up with XIce Xi3's on 17" Golf R replika's :)

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
The Enkei's were winter wheels the first year but before I shelled out big bucks on a better set I decided to run them for summer and got some used Audi wheels for winter. Both are 17"

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Elysium

Passed Driver's Ed

I’m running Pirelli Winter Sotto 3’s on my oem wheels. 10mm spacer in the front to clear my brakes and 15mm in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk