GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Really? Can't tell from the pic. Looks pretty even. I actually have very noticeable positive rake. I have DSG. My front tires have rubbed a few times now. Enough to make me do the fender screw mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njavier03

Ready to race!
Added some 42 Draft Designs spacers (F 13mm/R 18mm) and the Klii center cap inlays.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Really? Can't tell from the pic. Looks pretty even. I actually have very noticeable positive rake. I have DSG. My front tires have rubbed a few times now. Enough to make me do the fender screw mod.

The difference is minimal, but I’ve measured it. It’s not too noticeable, but my OCD is killing me haha. I’ll eventually at the TT pads, but for now they’ll wait in the hatch. You might be the first person I know to rub on the DGs. What are your wheel/tire specs?

armedferret

Ready to race!
Don’t let this throw you.

Springs should not squeak... there is a problem with the install or they reused the old strut bearings.

BTW I just picked up a low mile 996! So far have done a complete audio build and Fister mufflers. It’s a hoot.

I would look at this before a Cayman.

Nice, but don't forget the IMS bearing if it isn't already done. Catastrophic failure is no picnic.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Did you replace the bearings when you had the springs installed? If not, how many miles were on them?

I didn't replace the bearings. I had about 9k on the car when I had the springs installed and the dealer reused the stock bearings.

This is what I feared. A few pages back I asked you how they were holding up, but since then I decided not to mess with the suspension. Stock is fine enough for my commute and the occasional backroads; I have my eye on a used Cayman if I really want something more capable.

They're fine in warm weather, but if it's cold out and I take speed bumps (or any big bumps) too, quickly I get squeaking.

Don’t let this throw you.

Springs should not squeak... there is a problem with the install or they reused the old strut bearings.

BTW I just picked up a low mile 996! So far have done a complete audio build and Fister mufflers. It’s a hoot.

I would look at this before a Cayman.

Yea, I'm sure it's not the spring themselves, it's the bearings or mounts. Nice 996!!!!

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Haven't you gone through a few set ups already? You might have to refresh our memory with a quick summary.

Yep, went from stock to ED springs and ECS heavy duty mounts. Installed at very reputable after market shop in the DC area the does VW, Audi, and Porsche. They could not get it to stop making sounds. I had it all pulled out and went back to stock. No sounds or squeaking when it got back to stock.

I took the plunge and bought DG springs and had VW install them, using the stock bearings. The DG instal has been good up until recently and now I'm getting some squeaks. It's not doing it very often, but if I don't slow way down for speed bumps, there's a good squeak from the front end as I go over the bump.

Anywhoo - I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm going to wait until spring to see what happens. If it stays about the same, I may just live with it. If it gets worse I will go back to stock, and never, ever, modify my suspension again. What a freaking money pit lowering springs have been.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Yep, went from stock to ED springs and ECS heavy duty mounts. Installed at very reputable after market shop in the DC area the does VW, Audi, and Porsche. They could not get it to stop making sounds. I had it all pulled out and went back to stock. No sounds or squeaking when it got back to stock.

I took the plunge and bought DG springs and had VW install them, using the stock bearings. The DG instal has been good up until recently and now I'm getting some squeaks. It's not doing it very often, but if I don't slow way down for speed bumps, there's a good squeak from the front end as I go over the bump.

Anywhoo - I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm going to wait until spring to see what happens. If it stays about the same, I may just live with it. If it gets worse I will go back to stock, and never, ever, modify my suspension again. What a freaking money pit lowering springs have been.

That’s odd. I’ve had VWRs too, and those didn’t squeak either. I’ve read that the ECS and 034 mounts caused noises, so just kept the used OE mounts both times. Haven’t had any issues. The squeak might be coming from another suspension component. Maybe the lowered springs are causing two other suspension parts to rub?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You might be the first person I know to rub on the DGs. What are your wheel/tire specs?

Yeah I was surprised and certainly was not expecting it. I'm on stock Nogaros and tires 225/40R18. But also using ECS spacer kit 15mm/20mm. The rubbing in the front occasionally happens on the freeways when going over a dip.

lokerola

Ready to race!
That’s odd. I’ve had VWRs too, and those didn’t squeak either. I’ve read that the ECS and 034 mounts caused noises, so just kept the used OE mounts both times. Haven’t had any issues. The squeak might be coming from another suspension component. Maybe the lowered springs are causing two other suspension parts to rub?

That is entirely possible. I've heard the lower control arm bushings and sway bar end links are possible suspects. I could replace the sway bar parts pretty easily, but the LCA bushings seem like a PITA to deal with. I assume they would have to be replaced with poly bushings, or removed, lubed, and replaced. Any option sounds pricy with no guarantee of success. Blah.

njavier03

Ready to race!
Yeah I was surprised and certainly was not expecting it. I'm on stock Nogaros and tires 225/40R18. But also using ECS spacer kit 15mm/20mm. The rubbing in the front occasionally happens on the freeways when going over a dip.

That’s why i went with a 13mm in the front. I wanted a little bit of clearance and the 2mm seems to be just enough. Haven’t rubbed at all yet, and I’ve driven about 400 miles on the springs, about 70 ish milea since I added the spacers.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I’m going to finally do this soon. 16 DSG DCC. Doesn’t seem like I need to bother with TT pads, correct?

Zorro1

Does anyone know if they made DG springs for the GSW 4Motion? I'm looking to do a very minimal drop as in around 1" in the rear and maybe a bit more in the front. My summer set-up will consist of 18x8 wheels with 225/40 tires and when I load up the car I don't want it to be rubbing hence why I'm looking for a moderate drop. Thanks!

XeyeL

Does anyone know if they made DG springs for the GSW 4Motion? I'm looking to do a very minimal drop as in around 1" in the rear and maybe a bit more in the front. My summer set-up will consist of 18x8 wheels with 225/40 tires and when I load up the car I don't want it to be rubbing hence why I'm looking for a moderate drop. Thanks!

From my understanding, they haven’t. However, I have read somewhere in this forum of someone using the R Sportwagen springs. I don’t remember the details, but I think it worked for that person.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport

Look at the curb weights between the na golf r and your wagon. If close to the same maybe try a set of used golf r springs. There is a set in the classifieds right now. With the same awd mqb platform this might be an option.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
That is entirely possible. I've heard the lower control arm bushings and sway bar end links are possible suspects. I could replace the sway bar parts pretty easily, but the LCA bushings seem like a PITA to deal with. I assume they would have to be replaced with poly bushings, or removed, lubed, and replaced. Any option sounds pricy with no guarantee of success. Blah.
Don't forget that the stock struts are "rated" to handle the DG springs, but from what I've seen on a lot of forums they are suspect as well for noises. I am going to do DG springs with B4 Bilsteins and new bearings. Keeping the stock tophats based on the noise concerns I've seen on here with the performance units.

Sent from my HP 10 G2 Tablet using Tapatalk