GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue with nav on 2017 golf r?

AtomicPitbull

With all of that failing it sounds like the box in the glove compartment will have to be replaced. However, don't be surprised if they try to update the firmware/software first.

As you predicted, they updated the software for the box and the back sensors. Apparently everything is now working but we'll see how it goes... It was done under service bulletin 91Q1. I researched that but found nothing.

If only the software updated the intelligent cruise so we can turn it off... :p

Last edited:

MyGolf7

Passed Driver's Ed
'17 Sportwagen SEL, 750 miles & the nav crapped out displaying the spinning wheel of death, then the whole unit began shutting down, leaving a black screen...not even the clock showed up. The radio cuts out too, just shuts down & comes back on....sometimes. Back up camera display has also become very sporadic. The car is scheduled to go in this coming Thursday. The car was a late March build.

sebastian1

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same problem with Nav being stuck and Screen rebooting. Was running with the SD card removed for a while, took it to the dealer a yesterday, they say it has been fixed with a software update. Will be picking it up in a few hours and would have to check again if its really been fixed for good.

@socaltrav

I have a 2017 Golf Alltrack SEL. Purchased in July 2017.

I've been dealing with this issue since the second day of owning my Alltarck. It's been at the dealer 4 times for the same issue.

Picked up my Alltrack at Capistrano VW for the 4th time on the infotainment fix on October 17, 2017.

They replaced the Delphi module per VW. After they replacement was complete, the Mechanic and Shop Foreman drove it around the block after it was completed. Said it didn't do it anymore. Like I told them before, it's intermittent.

Got on the freeway headed home and about 6 miles from the dealership, guess what? It happened again! Went black, turned off, reset itself and came back on.
I called to tell them and they were like, seriously? I said yep! They don't have another fix for it. Bottom line, the Delphi modules are defective.

I contacted my VWofA case manager and request they purchase the car back. If they say no, I'll call a Lemon Law Attorney.

I have the unit with Navigation.

Part number used:

#DELPHI999

Last edited:

2014GTI

Ready to race!
I have a 2017 NA Golf R 11000 miles

So started having this issue at the start of October.
First service had the software update from 751 to 755.

Issue still with radio reboots. New issues are phone disconnect at random. And the best one intermittent park assist speaker outages. ( The sensors work and show in the radio just no beeping sounds from the car.) O and the radar unit is listed with codes as malfunction state.

2nd service vw will be replacing the 5F unit today let's see if it's all fixed............

Update.
Ok just had a call part is backorder........ Best part no eta......not vary happy

tsnoforn

So, my problems began on Tuesday. The car went into the shop. They seem to be careful with the issue, it took 2 1/2 days to complete the update. They tried initially overnight but it re booted. Everything works fine now. Dealer was nice; gave me a loaner car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014GTI

Ready to race!
12 transmission faults!?!? I don't know much about the new GTIs but dang! And all this got diagnosed from having a fault head unit!?

Will find out today they are running the diag and sending it to the tech line.

The guess is that the 5F module in the glove box is sending so much bad info over the can network that it's blocking communication for other parts of the car. That's the hope. The worst case is the cars is seriously screwed.

FYI only mod is the Audi S3 resonator delete.

2014GTI

Ready to race!
Well VW said the 5F is creating all the issues and im told that They don't want me to drive the car. Already called VW CARE they will look into it and call back Monday afternoon. VA lemon law apply's a 30 day max without use case for replacement or buyback. the part was ordered 10 days back and car removed from service 5 days back. And the part is listed national back order. Good note is the dealership is lending me a car as mine sits on their lot.

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2017 Golf R (USA) is coming up on its first service. Started having the reboots and popped the SD card and its been working since - I use carplay so not the stock nav. When I go for the first service, is there a specific software version i should be asking for?

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
Adding to the list:

2017 Golf SEL w/ 2800 miles
Part #3Q0035876A
Hardware: 840
Software: 0753

Was out in the field all day yesterday in my car and everything was great. Jumped in this morning and reboot galore. Nav screen is the loading screen. No compass. Radio reboots every 5-10 mins.

Have to schedule the dreaded dealer visit which probably won't happen til after Christmas. For now I'll just remove the SD card as suggested earlier in the thread.

Barzini

I've been getting the 'Checking Navigation Data' problem on the Discover Media system in my 6 month old Golf SE Nav. Have a dealer visit booked in a few weeks time.

Would it have anything to do with the current maps in the car being out of date?
How often do VW release updates for the Sat Nav?

Barzini

This is ridiculous. I've just followed all the instructions on VW's own website and user manual for updating the SD Card Maps.

I've got so far as 'formatting'/deleting the car's SD Card and it won't let me format the disk!! Says it is 'copy-protected'.
How can I load the new Map data if I can't delete or remove the existing maps??