GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Battery Promises One-Minute Charging

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Pretty cool. There are currently approx 680,847 scientists and engineers working on a long-range, quick charge battery. One of them will nail it, probably sooner than later.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Been waiting for a battery with the charge time of a capacitor.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
To achieve that charging time I hope it's not something for which you need a gigawatt charger the size of a car in your garage.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To achieve that charging time I hope it's not something for which you need a gigawatt charger the size of a car in your garage.

Another thing I hate about the EV lovers..."we'll just install a bigger capacity battery"....

err...that requires more W to charge....so if you max out the A at the existing V you have to increase the V & then you can drop the A.......or you just take way more time at your existing V & A.

Over here to handle more than 415V (light industrial & first stage up from domestic 230V) & defo the 11,000V (next stage up) you need to have special HV electric certs....& you want stupid joe public to have a play with it???

I'd like to see the V involved with Teslas new "mega" charger which is for the truck & I also think is for the fast roadster/drop top they also introduced

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
LOL, 110 volts is our standard voltage here, and we only use 220 volts for major appliances like stoves and ovens, clothes dryers, HVAC systems and hot water heaters. We need a separate breaker box for 440 volts. I don't know of any residential service other than an electric car chargers that uses that.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
LOL, 110 volts is our standard voltage here, and we only use 220 volts for major appliances like stoves and ovens, clothes dryers, HVAC systems and hot water heaters. We need a separate breaker box for 440 volts. I don't know of any residential service other than an electric car chargers that uses that.

Well you actually have 220 volts coming into the house - two 110 lines= so as far as charging at home you would have 220 volts available.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Fisker?! I thought they flopped pretty badly after the karma, which was sad because it was actually a pretty cool car. I know someone who had one and have ridden in it. I'm surprised they have any money to spend on R&D like this.

Anyways, the proposed battery makes two separate and pretty amazing claims. That it will have 2.5x the energy density of a lipo, and that it will be capable of charging fantastically quickly. To me this means more for electric dragsters than anything else. Normal batteries are capable of discharging much faster than they can charge in a fairly related matter, so it would stand to reason that not only would this battery be able to charge it's enormous amount of energy in such a short amount of time, but also discharge it in even less time. This means you could get an enormous amount of power out of a very small battery for just enough time to travel 1/4 of a mile or however long the particular drag strip is, making for unparalleled power to weight ratio. Based on some quick estimates (~165kWh for 500 miles) the battery linked is capable of being charged at over 10 mega watts, and lets say worst case scenario the battery is only able to discharge twice as fast as it charges (most lipo and nimh batteries are closer to 10x, and I don't think there are any examples of a type of battery capable of charging faster than it can discharge), then you would only need a ~50kWh battery to match the power output of Top Fuel dragsters, and based on their claim of 2.5x lighter than lipos for the same energy, that would only weigh just under 350lbs. The motor would also contribute a fair bit of weight, but that is not the real limitation and it wouldn't outweigh the battery pack. Also, with 50kWh and assuming everything else being the same as Top Fuel (it wouldn't, it would be better), and a not very efficient motor the car would be able to make a minimum of 6 passes back to back. Assuming the current standard of discharging 10x faster than charging, this would decrease the weight of the battery down to just 10kWh at 70lbs, and it would be just enough charge for a good burnout and a single pass. Of course these are some pretty extreme claims that Fisker is making, and I don't know how the technology works so maybe this is a strange battery that can charge much faster than it can discharge, so we will see what actually happens. Either way I am super excited for new battery technology.

TL;DR: Assuming these batteries are real, Top Fuel eat your heart out.

Last edited: