Please pm me

Genesis730

Passed Driver's Ed
Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
NAR cars have a different tail light wiring config then ROW cars. NAR cars don’t come with wires for a Rear Fog Light and Amber Turn Signals. Turn/Brake and Position light are done with the same bulb/wire.

Without any changes to the wiring MK7 LED Tails work as the Halogens and don’t have Amber Turn Signals or a Rear Fog Light.

The $65 adapter harness gives you fully functionality with Amber and Fog.

It doesn’t make sense to buy the $40 harness with a NAR car. This VW Aftermarket harness is only for ROW cars to get them to OEM style wiring. Without adding at least two more wires you won’t have Amber Turn Signals in the outer tails. You need a third wire to get the Rear Fog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Thanks yea I’ve seen the cheaper harness that would require wiring up to the cecm which would be a major pita. I guess I’ll get the bec harness

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Major pita? That depends. I retrofitted ROW tails and a Fog light and enjoyed the wiring. Found a proper crimp tool on amazon, bought terminals at mouser.com and wire and connected everything in ROW OEM style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genesis730

Passed Driver's Ed
That is good to know!
The $45 harness is for ROW to add OEM-style wiring from Central Electronics Control Module (CECM - located under front dashboard) to allow LEDs to function. This harness will adapt all features.

ROW wiring is different from NAR and the $40 OEM wire harness is required to get LEDs working on ROW vehicles. The $40 harness does the job of allowing LEDs to function & add all features in one harness. Nice!

NARs don't need the $40 as they can be fitted without any harness or coding but will be limited to halogen-style function (no amber turns, no fogs, LED brightness is high*coding can assist brightness)
I've seen wire splicing/modifications with coding changes to get full functionality without adapters but that is beyond the scope of this post.

Finally the $60 harness is for NARs to add all features for LEDs to function properly with ambers, fogs, ect.

*I should note that BEC harness is not the same as other harnesses such as DAP or ECS.

I found THIS ARTICLE to be useful in comparing features of different harnesses available for retrofitting LEDs in NAR vehicles.

Feel free to correct anything I've misunderstood :)

Last edited:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Wonderful. Thanks for all the info