GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Alternatives

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Order through Tirerack and bring them in to an installer.

He's in Canada, with our crap dollar it's not worth buying and shipping out of the States.

OP,
Have you thought about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3? Not a dedicated summer tire but one of the best all season tires you can get. I had them on my wifes mk6 and they were very good. Currently I have the PSS which I bought from Costco last year when they had one of their $70 instant rebate promotions.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
Just got a quote for the Continental ExtremeContact Sport from a local shop.... $254/wheel, after tax it comes to $1237 all in. Way more than I wanted to spend. I'll try shopping around, but perhaps this is just reality when you live up north.

Reach out to Chris from Burning Rubber & Tire in Oakville, ON

I'm buying my contis from him for like $850

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I only run Bridgestone as I will not run a competitors tire.
Plus with employee discount hard not to buy them.
I doubt many tires are much better than the RE-11.
It is an older design but known for good wear.
I know the RE-71 is better but as a DD I think one would not notice.
Also not the best in rain, so tough to use as a DD.
To utilize a tire at the top end one would have to track a lot.

Sandman, I've had RE-11 tires, and I think they're great.
It looks like Bridgestone is phasing out the RE-11; I don't see the size options I used to see.
Do you know what the status is for the RE-11?
Thanks.

myles1

Ready to race!
He's in Canada, with our crap dollar it's not worth buying and shipping out of the States.

OP,

Have you thought about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3? Not a dedicated summer tire but one of the best all season tires you can get. I had them on my wifes mk6 and they were very good. Currently I have the PSS which I bought from Costco last year when they had one of their $70 instant rebate promotions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did have a look at Costco, nothing struck me as super good. They still wanted $1100+ for a set. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myles1

Ready to race!
245/40-18 PSS are on Tirerack for cheaper than the Contis.

Order through Tirerack and bring them in to an installer.

I did look at that, they are extremely cheap at $595 for the set. However, once I add tax and $175 shipping, they come to $920 USD, which is $1200. Living up north is frustrating.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Just got a quote for the Continental ExtremeContact Sport from a local shop.... $254/wheel, after tax it comes to $1237 all in. Way more than I wanted to spend. I'll try shopping around, but perhaps this is just reality when you live up north.

That's a horrible price. What size are you going for??

IIRC I got a set of ExtremeContact Sport when they first came out last year in 225/40/18 for somewhere around $900 tax in, installed.

Contact Billy @ Tires23 in Mississauga (sales@tires23.com) or Fabian @ WheelsCo in Vaughn (sales@wheelsco.ca) and get a quote.

Another tire you might want to get quoted at the same time is the Kumho PS91. Definitely in the same conversation as the ECS and MPSS and will be a good amount cheaper than all of them.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I did look at that, they are extremely cheap at $595 for the set. However, once I add tax and $175 shipping, they come to $920 USD, which is $1200. Living up north is frustrating.

Tires aren't really worth getting from the US. You can always have them shipped to one of those places in Niagara Falls and pick it up yourself. Otherwise, you're better off getting them from within the city.

myles1

Ready to race!
That's a horrible price. What size are you going for??

IIRC I got a set of ExtremeContact Sport when they first came out last year in 225/40/18 for somewhere around $900 tax in, installed.

Contact Billy @ Tires23 in Mississauga (sales@tires23.com) or Fabian @ WheelsCo in Vaughn (sales@wheelsco.ca) and get a quote.

Another tire you might want to get quoted at the same time is the Kumho PS91. Definitely in the same conversation as the ECS and MPSS and will be a good amount cheaper than all of them.

Originally going for 245/40/18. Going to drop down to 235/40/18 & see if it makes a difference at all. & Cheers mate! I’ll shoot em both emails and see what they say. I appreciate the help!

funks

Ready to race!
the pss are cheap because they are discontinued, they have been replaced by the ps4s

Don't perform any less than ps4s - still one of the best street tires around.

The 18 inch 245/40R18's are also cheaper than the 235/40R18s width tires as I believe it's a more common tire. EVO X and 08+ STI's OEM size.

Last edited:

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I certainly have, and may well end up going with them. They've got great reviews, and are priced affordably.

They really are excellent tires for the money (have driven them on street and track). Just be aware that the dry grip is a definite level down from the MPSS/MP4S/ECS/PS91 group, if that matters.

Originally going for 245/40/18. Going to drop down to 235/40/18 & see if it makes a difference at all. & Cheers mate! I’ll shoot em both emails and see what they say. I appreciate the help!

No worries. Hope you get sorted!