GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project - Golf R underfloor sub box

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
thank you for this thread. .. . will be doing something similar for my R

Nice setup! I wasn't too impressed with the R's audio system OR the Fender upgraded system :( And I'm a sucker for it since I normally put on full blown concerts in my car while stuck in traffic (don't judge). I may end up doing the same down the line in an attempt to get better quality sound.

PGT

Ready to race!
I borrowed a pre-fab Rockford Fosgate Punch Shallow 10 DVC this weekend and rewired it for 2ohm stereo and plugged into the factory amp. I did this to test whether or not the factory amp had enough guts to make the time/expense of an underfloor setup worth it.

A few observations; absolute volume didn't change noticably which was surprising give the difference in driver diameter (6.5" for the Fendero vs. 10" for the RF Punch). The RF sub would play lower with more authority....White Zombie's seminal "Supersexy Swingin Sounds" album actually was a lot better with proper bass, albeit not as much sub volume as I prefer. I had a JL 10W6 Stealthbox on 500/1 amp in an old car and it did a much better job on that album (credit bigger box and more power).

So...if you want deeper/full range sub-bass, a single 10" DVC 2-ohm stereo sub in a 0.5" box under the floor will work just fine on the factory amp. Honestly...anything that works but has a higher sensitivity than the RF will likely be better still (its low at 82db/1w). 85db or higher would likely be ideal (tough on a small enclosure type sub which uses a higher mass cone)

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Glad I could be of help! I'm getting ready to do another build for my wife's mk7 gti. Will be using the same parts as mine, but a different box configuration.
My setup

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
This stuff looks cool, but really, for someone like me, with no skills, no shops nearby that do anything close to this sort of work...it's all fantasy land. Nice to look at though!

chid

Ready to race!
Well I sold the GTi on Friday and I got an R 2018.
Of course I didn't like the Fender subwoofer, so Sunday I started to see if the subwoofer from GTi will fit the R.

I turned my box 90° and it fits perfectly (I had to trim the rear trim to remove the lip).
The speaker sits now between the center bump and the edge of the place where the Fender sits. It fires down and I don't see any problem for now.
I'll check to see if it touches down next weekend.
The box sits flush at the back, and about 1in higher in front.

Nick, are you interested to build a box for R that allows for the floor to sit normally?

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 245
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 284
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 249

chid

Ready to race!
This stuff looks cool, but really, for someone like me, with no skills, no shops nearby that do anything close to this sort of work...it's all fantasy land. Nice to look at though!

Come pay me a visit in Mtl and we'll talk how I can help you ;)
I'm not an expert like Nick, this is my first and only box I built, but it works wonders :D