GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front assist not available

DoublePD

I highly doubt that's the issue. I'm on VWR springs and have not had any issues. Have they already completed the ACC/Front Assist update or confirmed that it has already been done?

Mine came on randomly and never went back off. Dealer made the update and it's worked perfectly ever since. The modules are too new to do anything with in VCDS.
That's what I think too. Very unlikely. And frustrating that they are blaming the wheels.

I just called the dealer. They reviewed their records and didn't note doing any software update. He said they would look into it but also asked if I knew of the bulletin # for this update. (seems like they should be able to find this easily but what do I know)

Anyone happen to know the bulletin # or of a way to find it?

DoublePD

If the dealer is claiming that smaller wheels are the issue, you can point out to them that the OEM winter wheels that they would sell you for the R are 17": https://parts.vw.com/accessories/Volkswagen_2017_Golf-RBase/Wheels---17in.html
That's a good point! I also now have VW Customer Care involved and spoke with a nice lady who agrees that the dealer has not done everything they should to resolve the issue properly. She will now be a go-between and I'll share the link you provided with her as well.

Would have been nice to run the winters today. A good foot of snow. :)

Thanks!

DoublePD

Just as a follow up - The dealer and VW are not being helpful.

They are still claiming the issue was caused by the aftermarket 18" wheels. It makes no sense.

Now I just picked up an OBD11 and guess what? ACC, Gateway/Can Bus, and Dash controller faults are being thrown since their last calibration, with the summer tires/wheels on the car.

Now, it hasn't deactivated the front assist again but clearly there are underlying issues with some of the components. I have a feeling I'm going to be fighting it out with the dealer as my hunch is that they are going to say that if the error light doesn't trip on the dashboard, then it isn't a problem. I think it's only a matter of time before it goes off again.

GTIJH

Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Adding a note here as I had the issue of the Rear Assist (cross-traffic and blind spot) was not available. I cleaned all rear and side sensors, but still had the problem. The Dealer said they would most likely need to remove the back bumper cover to fix the issue. Before they did this they did quite a bit of testing and they said the computer said a FRONT sensor was dirty (the large, square black one in the middle). They cleaned it and now the REAR assist works again! I did run the car through a good car wash twice while I had the issue. Hoping this will help someone else.

GTIJH

Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Adding a note here as I had the issue of the Rear Assist (cross-traffic and blind spot) was not available. I cleaned all rear and side sensors, but still had the problem. The Dealer said they would most likely need to remove the back bumper cover to fix the issue. Before they did this they did quite a bit of testing and they said the computer said a FRONT sensor was dirty (the large, square black one in the middle). They cleaned it and now the REAR assist works again! I did run the car through a good car wash twice while I had the issue. Hoping this will help someone else.

An update. I was driving on the interstate last week and this warning popped up again, "Rear Traffic Alert/Blind Spot Monitor not available now." Just driving, no big bump or anything. Cleaned all senors including the large black one in the grill, but the error remained. Back to the dealer and they claim a FRONT passenger sensor needs replacing. I am guessing it is the one by the wheel arch. I cannot understand why it is not a REAR sensor. The part has been ordered and will go to the paint shop before installing. I'll update again on this soon.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
my acc and front assistnot available light came on.
turns out the plastic trim around the sensor had come dislodged, partially blocking it, guess from me going under the car to install my dogbone and dp. i clipped it back into place and voila. no more light or message on the vehicle status screen.
just thought i’d share

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
my acc and front assistnot available light came on.
turns out the plastic trim around the sensor had come dislodged, partially blocking it, guess from me going under the car to install my dogbone and dp. i clipped it back into place and voila. no more light or message on the vehicle status screen.
just thought i’d share

andit’s still fucked. off to the dealer i go.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
FYI: if you lower your car you will need an alignment (duh) and with the alignment comes a screwed up DAP sensor that requires recalibration. Best advice, find a local VW Dealer that isn't going to give you crap for being modified and pay the $$$ for both the OEM alignment + DAP recalibration.

Source - VW Master tech friend of mine who also owns a mk7 R

GTIJH

Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
An update. I was driving on the interstate last week and this warning popped up again, "Rear Traffic Alert/Blind Spot Monitor not available now." Just driving, no big bump or anything. Cleaned all senors including the large black one in the grill, but the error remained. Back to the dealer and they claim a FRONT passenger sensor needs replacing. I am guessing it is the one by the wheel arch. I cannot understand why it is not a REAR sensor. The part has been ordered and will go to the paint shop before installing. I'll update again on this soon.

New front parking sensor installed, however the same error returned a couple of weeks later :(. I have another visit to the dealership scheduled. After MUCH internet research I feel it is one of three issues. 1) Rear parking sensor failure 2) Software update needed per TPI 2040571/3 [TSB - can anyone look up this TSB?], 3) Parking aid wiring harness was running in front of the right radar sensor in rear bumper. Fingers crossed.

GTIJH

Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Finally fixed (on dealer's third try)

New front parking sensor installed, however the same error returned a couple of weeks later :(. I have another visit to the dealership scheduled. After MUCH internet research I feel it is one of three issues. 1) Rear parking sensor failure 2) Software update needed per TPI 2040571/3 [TSB - can anyone look up this TSB?], 3) Parking aid wiring harness was running in front of the right radar sensor in rear bumper. Fingers crossed.

Dealership found the issue. There are two blind spot monitoring modules under the rear bumper (about a foot below the main taillights). The module is part number J1087 (or 5q0907685a). Replacing module 2 seems to have fixed the issue. My symptoms were, the mirror warning lights did not light up at start up and I could not turn on blind spot/rear assist manually (got the error message). Hoping this info might help others

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Dealership found the issue. There are two blind spot monitoring modules under the rear bumper (about a foot below the main taillights). The module is part number J1087 (or 5q0907685a). Replacing module 2 seems to have fixed the issue. My symptoms were, the mirror warning lights did not light up at start up and I could not turn on blind spot/rear assist manually (got the error message). Hoping this info might help others.

Here is a link to a manual for this repair:
http://www.vwgolf.org/removing_and_installing_blind_spot_monitor_control_unit_j1086_j1087-2603.html

Pretty incompetent dealer if you ask me. Even I know how the BS/RCTA works. I had to laugh at the dirt reason. My car is as dirty as it can be right now and all my DAP features work perfectly.