GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI excessive wheel hop?

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Can someone enlighten me regarding mechanics linking engine mounts and wheel hop? My understanding is that the issue is strictly caused by high engine torque, limited tire traction and ECS cutting power momentarily and resulting feedback loop (as the whole system is reacting to detected loss of traction and not really preventing it so the cycle keeps repeating until the driver takes foot off the gas or the vehicle is at the speed/in gear where overcoming tire grip is no longer possible). I've observed it myself couple of times - particularly when I let the engine rev way too high for my forward speed. Also rough/bumpy road surface helps break tire/road contact and makes the issue more likely to happen. As much a limitation of FWD as the driver error.

Rgraphic

Passed Driver's Ed
Can someone enlighten me regarding mechanics linking engine mounts and wheel hop? My understanding is that the issue is strictly caused by high engine torque, limited tire traction and ECS cutting power momentarily and resulting feedback loop (as the whole system is reacting to detected loss of traction and not really preventing it so the cycle keeps repeating until the driver takes foot off the gas or the vehicle is at the speed/in gear where overcoming tire grip is no longer possible). I've observed it myself couple of times - particularly when I let the engine rev way too high for my forward speed. Also rough/bumpy road surface helps break tire/road contact and makes the issue more likely to happen. As much a limitation of FWD as the driver error.

I think you nailed it.

Exactly what I’ve been trying to put together when I had very bad thudding and loss of power trying to accelerate fast from a light when the roads were slick. Forgot to turn off stability/traction control. Thudded, lost power and felt like wheel hop. Been wondering if I caused any damage to components...though everything seems normal after.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Even when you hold the traction control button down it doesn’t solve it. I’ll still get the light and torque limiter kicking in. Better than not doing it though. It’s f’ed me on launches before.

OBDeleven solve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Periodic wheel hop shouldn't cause damage... but cars with added power, and more rarely stock cars, have cracked or broken engine mounts due to wheel hop... but in most situations ist just a huge inconvenience.