GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf MK7 / MKVII priced from 16,330 pounds in UK

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Just announced:

Golf VII will start at 16,330 pounds in the UK and goes on sale October 18, with deliveries beginning in January 2013. This means that it's actually slightly cheaper starting price than the MKVI model (16,425 pounds).

or the UK market, Volkswagen is offering the Golf VII in both three- and five-door variants, along with a choice of three trim levels (S, SE and GT). Six engines will be available (four gasoline and two diesels), followed in 2013 by the hotter GTI version and the more frugal diesel-powered BlueMotion.

For 16,330 pounds you get the entry-level variant equipped with a 1.2-liter, 4-cylinder TSI engine that produces 84 hp (62 kW), followed by another 1.2-liter TSI but with 104 hp (77 kW) and a larger 1.4-liter TSI that produces 120 hp (89 kW). There’s also the recently developed 1.4-liter TSI with cylinder deactivation that generates 138 hp (103 kW). Diesel offerings include a 1.6-liter TDI with 104 hp (77 kW) and an all-new 2.0-liter TDI with 148 hp (110 kW).

Regardless of the engine choice, all Golf VII models get as standard stop/start and battery regeneration tech. Gearbox options depend on the chosen engine and include 5- or 6-speed manuals or 6- or 7-speed DSGs.

Here is the full press release:

Prices for the all-new Volkswagen Golf have been revealed. Not only is the new car lighter, safer, more advanced, more spacious, more efficient and better equipped than previous generations of Europe’s best-seller, of which over 29 million have been sold, but it also offers better value, with UK prices starting at just £16,330 (RRP OTR) – that’s lower than those of its predecessor.

From launch, the Golf will be available in the UK in three trim levels: S, SE and GT (the GTI and BlueMotion models will join the line-up in 2013). Four petrol engines and two diesel engines will be available to order.

The petrol engine range starts with a four-cylinder 1.2-litre TSI unit producing 85 PS, rising via a 1.2-litre TSI 105 PS and a 1.4-litre TSI 122 PS motor to the all-new 1.4-litre TSI 140 PS engine with Active Cylinder Technology. This helps to create an extremely efficient engine capable of 60.1 mpg (combined cycle) and 110 g/km (when fitted with a seven-speed DSG gearbox), thanks to the ability to deactivate the central two cylinders under light loads.

The two diesel engines at launch are a 1.6-litre TDI 105 PS and a new 2.0-litre TDI 150 PS unit. Both feature the latest common rail diesel technology for maximum efficiency. All new Golf models – both diesel and petrol – come with a Stop/Start system as standard, along with battery regeneration.

Gearboxes are a mixture of five- and six-speed manuals, and six- and seven-speed DSG units, depending on the engines’ power and torque outputs.

Standard specification levels build on those of the outgoing Golf, bringing new items of luxury and technology to the class.

All Golf models come with seven airbags, including a driver’s knee airbag, five three-point seatbelts, ABS with ESP, XDS electronic differential lock and Isofix preparation for two rear child seats. The entry-level Composition Media system includes a 5.8-inch colour touchscreen, DAB digital radio, a CD player, MDI interface (for connecting iPod or MP3 player), Bluetooth telephone preparation and audio streaming and eight speakers. Also standard is ‘Climatic’ semi-automatic air conditioning, among a host of other features.

Moving up from S to SE trim brings an outstanding range of features, including standard ADC Automatic Distance Control with Front Assist and City Emergency Braking, which can even bring the vehicle to a complete halt if necessary, a Driver Alert System, PreCrash preventative occupant protection, Driver Profile Selection (with four modes and five on DSG-equipped cars), rain-sensitive wipers, an automatically dimming rear-view mirror and dusk sensor (automatic driving lights). Interior trim includes brushed stainless steel decorative inserts, and ‘Zoom/Micro’ cloth upholstery, along with a leather-trimmed handbrake grip, gear lever and multifunction steering wheel. A black radiator grille with chrome trimmed-inserts and ‘Toronto’ 16-inch alloy wheels complete the exterior.

From the outside, the GT model can be recognised by its 17-inch ‘Dijon’ alloy wheels, front fog lights and air intakes with chrome surrounds, ‘Cherry Red’ rear light clusters, and heat-insulating dark-tinted rear glass. Inside there are gloss black decorative inserts, Alcantara and cloth sports seats, LED reading lights, ambient lighting in the doors and centre console, electrically foldable door mirrors with puddle lights, and front and rear parking sensors with visual display.

As standard the GT comes with the Discover Navigation media system. This includes a 5.8-inch colour touchscreen preloaded with European mapping data (with three years of free upgrades), traffic sign display, and twin SD card reader (as well, of course, as the same multimedia functionality as the Composition Media unit).

Optional equipment includes high beam assist, lane assist, park assist (which is able to parallel-park the Golf in spaces only 80 cm longer than the car itself in addition to providing automatic end-on parking), ACC adaptive chassis control and a rear-view camera. Drivers can also select from a choice of alternative alloy wheels up to 18 inches in diameter, bi-xenon headlights, ‘Vienna’ leather upholstery (optionally with 12-way electrically adjustable front seats), 2Zone climate control, the Discover Pro navigation system with 8-inch colour touchscreen, keyless entry and a panoramic sunroof, among other options.

Volkswagen Retailers will start taking orders for the new Golf on 18 October, with first deliveries due in January.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Not bad. Still reserving my thoughts for GTI pricing.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Definitely less. How much is the standard golf now? Figure its around that ballpark.

Hooklyn

Banned
The way it works is that usually the number stays about the same, only pounds change to $.

So, 16330pounds UK car will cost about $16000 in the US.

Correct. And US-Spec cars typically have more standard equipment as well. But keep in mind that base price of 16,330 GBP is for a model we won't get here in the States (1.2TSI). And they don't offer the 1.8TSI that we are expected to get here on the Euro-Golf so its hard to compare. Just figure it to be priced similarly to the MKVI Golf. Say from $18k/$19k or so. GTI from less than $25k as well I am sure.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What makes you think it would be any different than the current cars price?

It wont, but I'm curious how much these "MQB production costs" will impact the price.

Hooklyn

Banned
It wont, but I'm curious how much these "MQB production costs" will impact the price.

Good call.

My thought is that with the 'decreased' production costs of the MQB platform they will just add more standard equipment and keep the price largely the same. Maybe +/- $500.

In the UK market, the price dropped appx. 300 GBP on the base Golf. Not sure of the equipment changes though.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Good call.

My thought is that with the 'decreased' production costs of the MQB platform they will just add more standard equipment and keep the price largely the same. Maybe +/- $500.

In the UK market, the price dropped appx. 300 GBP on the base Golf. Not sure of the equipment changes though.

Thats a fair assumption. Hopefully they DO offset those costs with more features and/or better quality materials.

300GBP isnt bad, but I wouldnt figure they'd remove features? Normally this is their pride and joy, dont you think?

Hooklyn

Banned
Thats a fair assumption. Hopefully they DO offset those costs with more features and/or better quality materials.

300GBP isnt bad, but I wouldnt figure they'd remove features? Normally this is their pride and joy, dont you think?

They said this car has more features and better materials. Lets just hope many of them make it Stateside. The materials of course will.

I doubt they would decrease the price and drop features. It IS possible (MKV to MKVI Jetta...) but unlikely.

I would personally be happy with the same level of standard equipment as now but with the better motors, increased 'quality', and decreased weight at the same price. I DO want the extra OPTIONAL features they get in Europe, though, such as;
- LED Tails
- Climatronic
- Dynamic Chassis Control
- Color MFD
- 360-Degree View Camera
- Adaptive Cruise Control

Those are the ones that interest me the most, in order.