GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Don,

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, I am using LED bulbs in the rear so I hope not have load issues. And yes, I am referring to swapping in ROW incandescent outer tails.

I know you know this already, but... For NAR cars, the outer plug is wired 1 (brake/turn/runner), 2 (ground), 3 (empty), 4 (side marker LEDs). And the ROW tails are 1 (brake/runner), 2 (ground), 3 (turn), 4 (empty).

So the idea on the outer plug is to move pin 1 (Leuchte20BR/21BR) to pin 3, and re-code these channels to act as turn signals only (Leuchte18BLK/19BLK). Also, to move pin 4 (Leuchte27NSL) to pin 1 and re-code this channel to act as brake/runner.

As you know, the ROW tails do not have the side marker LEDs, so the Leuchte27NSL channel is “freed up” so to speak. I’m really trying to avoid running wires between inner and outer tails / purchasing over-priced harnesses.

Also, I have set the Lastyp channel to “35-combined LED...” for all of the channels where I use LED bulbs. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

Thoughts?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Lasttyp settings for LED tails

Bake (only) lights = 34 - LED Bremsleuchten
Turn signal =38 - LED Blinkleuchten

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Oh right. Got it. Will change those. Thx

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
OK, so I searched, but didn't find, so forgive me if this has already been asked and answered: I previously long-coded the 4/5 brake light tweak into my 2017-build NAR GTI Sport. Today, I went in and coded for Urban Joke 1, using the chart found 3/4 of the way down this page. It works as normal when the brakes are off, but with the pedal down, only the outer light flashes when the turn signal is activated. I noticed that some of the "Stock" settings on the chart weren't like that on my car, but I couldn't tell if they were settings I'd already changed with the brake light tweak, or if they were different because apparently everything that is OBD11-related is different on my car.

After more searching, I found this Google doc, which contains this chart. Am I correct in my suspicion that the second set of coding instructions will allow the UrbanJoke to function while the brakes are on? Thanks in advance, and feel free to PM me if you don't feel like polluting the thread any further!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
OK, so I searched, but didn't find, so forgive me if this has already been asked and answered: I previously long-coded the 4/5 brake light tweak into my 2017-build NAR GTI Sport. Today, I went in and coded for Urban Joke 1, using the chart found 3/4 of the way down this page. It works as normal when the brakes are off, but with the pedal down, only the outer light flashes when the turn signal is activated. I noticed that some of the "Stock" settings on the chart weren't like that on my car, but I couldn't tell if they were settings I'd already changed with the brake light tweak, or if they were different because apparently everything that is OBD11-related is different on my car.

After more searching, I found this Google doc, which contains this chart. Am I correct in my suspicion that the second set of coding instructions will allow the UrbanJoke to function while the brakes are on? Thanks in advance, and feel free to PM me if you don't feel like polluting the thread any further!

Shane: I always am intrigued how folks make changes to the Leuchte-sets on their cars to do lighting stuff. It always surprises me how often the end result is more complicated than the factory settings which is invariably the epitome of German efficiency!

The instructions in your link is another example of re-programming resulting in an overly-complex solution (my apology if the author of the tweak is on this forum). I've no doubt that it works - but why do it that way?

My suggestion: The existing factory settings for the 2 x outer brake lights do exactly what you want - yes? If so - why not use German efficiency and simply copy the same instruction set (except for channels (2) & (3)) onto the 2 x inner lamps? This ain't rocket-science and pure logic says that what you will get is the inner-outer lamp pairs operating exactly the same - BINGO!!

Don

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Shane: I always am intrigued how folks make changes to the Leuchte-sets on their cars to do lighting stuff. It always surprises me how often the end result is more complicated than the factory settings which is invariably the epitome of German efficiency!

The instructions in your link is another example of re-programming resulting in an overly-complex solution (my apology if the author of the tweak is on this forum). I've no doubt that it works - but why do it that way?

My suggestion: The existing factory settings for the 2 x outer brake lights do exactly what you want - yes? If so - why not use German efficiency and simply copy the same instruction set (except for channels (2) & (3)) onto the 2 x inner lamps? This ain't rocket-science and pure logic says that what you will get is the inner-outer lamp pairs operating exactly the same - BINGO!!

Don

The chart in the first link (that links to the thread on the obdeleven board) says it was translated by someone named "DV52." ;)

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
The chart in the first link (that links to the thread on the obdeleven board) says it was translated by someone named "DV52." ;)

Shane: Nice attempt at irony - I wouldn't trust that guy (DV52) with anything!! :)

So back to your post. The "Urban Joke" tweak that I translated to OBD11 speak doesn't do what you want. The inner lights don't operate in unison with the outer lights.

If you want the two lamp pairs to operate together, then Urban Joke is not for you!!

Don

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Exactly. Just take the coding from the outer tails (20BR and 21BR) and apply them to the corresponding inner tail (23SL and 24SL).

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Lasttyp settings for LED tails

Bake (only) lights = 34 - LED Bremsleuchten
Turn signal =38 - LED Blinkleuchten

So I did the re-pinning and recoding today. Was quite a fun project. And everything is working as expected, with one exception.

When I press the brake, the amber signal flashes very briefly. I moved pin1 to pin3 (Leuchte20BR and 21BR) to amber signal. And I coded these channels to be just turn signals. I’m not sure why they’re very briefly flashing when the brake is pressed.

Note that if the left/right turn signal is activated and I repeatedly press the brake, the turn signals do not flash. I believe because they are already “active”.

20BR and 21BR (now just rear turn signals) coding that I used. Of course I applied links and rechts as required.

38 - LED Blinkleuchten
3D
Blinken links hellphase
Not active
Always
Not active
Not active
Maximize
Not active
Not active
Minimize
Not active
Not active
Maximize

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Shane: Nice attempt at irony - I wouldn't trust that guy (DV52) with anything!! :)

So back to your post. The "Urban Joke" tweak that I translated to OBD11 speak doesn't do what you want. The inner lights don't operate in unison with the outer lights.

If you want the two lamp pairs to operate together, then Urban Joke is not for you!!

Don

Ah well, can't win 'em ail. Thanks for the assist!

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Anyone know how to clear emissions, fuel trims, etc. using your OBDeleven? The catch is, when there are no engine faults - pending or otherwise - it doesn't look like clearing engine trouble codes is an option which normally clears all diagnostic info too. Any help is appreciated!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know how to clear emissions, fuel trims, etc. using your OBDeleven? The catch is, when there are no engine faults - pending or otherwise - it doesn't look like clearing engine trouble codes is an option which normally clears all diagnostic info too. Any help is appreciated!

the emission values self clear after the car has been driven for a while - assuming that there are no actual problems with the engine

Don

nype

Drag Racing Champion
So I did the re-pinning and recoding today. Was quite a fun project. And everything is working as expected, with one exception.

When I press the brake, the amber signal flashes very briefly. I moved pin1 to pin3 (Leuchte20BR and 21BR) to amber signal. And I coded these channels to be just turn signals. I’m not sure why they’re very briefly flashing when the brake is pressed.

Note that if the left/right turn signal is activated and I repeatedly press the brake, the turn signals do not flash. I believe because they are already “active”.

20BR and 21BR (now just rear turn signals) coding that I used. Of course I applied links and rechts as required.

38 - LED Blinkleuchten
3D
Blinken links hellphase
Not active
Always
Not active
Not active
Maximize
Not active
Not active
Minimize
Not active
Not active
Maximize

Did some trial and error coding changes today. Could not figure out why the amber rear signals briefly flash with each brake pedal press.

I tried different bulb types, tried disabling all of the rear channels (Lasttyp - not active). Still they flash. But again, they don’t flash when the channel is “active” (turn signal of hazards on).

You see the flash coincide with the audible “click” that you hear from the front area of the car.

It’s as if Leuchte20BR and 21BR (now the amber rear turn channels) still thinking that they are brake lights, but immediately dim. I’m stumped.

Any ideas?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ughh... found an old Vortex thread. wish I had come across it before I got into this. Thread discussing this signal flicker issue with the earlier LED tail installers. Apparently that purple/red wire insists on sending a brake signal, even if just a flicker.

JBale said...

“The main thing that I knew I had to avoid was using the current Pin 1 wire to power the Pin 3 turn signals. For some reason unknown to me the Pin 1 wire wants to be a brake light even after the brake light coding is removed from the adaption channels relating to the pin out. So if that wire wants to be a brake light so badly then that's what I would let it be”

Hmm...can I live with it, or do I return everything to stock...decisions.