GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr 93 Oct vs. STI and 5.0

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Went out last night, taking advantage of turbo happy weather (35 f) and saw a black sti running around. I pulled out and chased and did a flyby and we then slowed down. 2nd gear, 35ish roll we hit and his awd allowed him to stay with the tq of my map. However I starting slipping traction and he got about a car. We hit third and it was over. I reeled then walked him. These cars have a fantastic third gear.

Later that night saw a 5.0 on the highway. Same mph roll I hit, hooked and slingshotted a good 2 car lengths ahead. We hit third and I was still pulling up until fourth when his displacement took over. He was reeling me in at about 120 . I let off as we were flying but his fourth was definitely about to reel me in.

I've seen the same thing happen with other gtis vs. the 5.0 stangs. Their top end usually pulls these cars unless you're is38 and it's the other way around. However 2nd-3rd the is20 eats alive mustards on about 22-23psi.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
what stage are you? yea nothing really happens in second aside from wheelspin. i always say third gear is gear of the year.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Was 2+ but reflashes to 1 ht because of stock clutch slip. I had one of the unicorn early build 15s but even it is starting to go on stage two. My current community allows very fast and easy access to canned maps.. 1 still slips the clutch but not near as bad. Still have gutted dp on but plan on doing dkm clutch very soon

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Some of you guys must find some real slow 5.0s.

I've found that a good number of 5.0 drivers don't know how to drive their cars. Either spin their ass off, granny shift, take off in the wrong gear or some combination of those 3.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I've found that a good number of 5.0 drivers don't know how to drive their cars. Either spin their ass off, granny shift, take off in the wrong gear or some combination of those 3.
Agreed but with a good driver and stage two it is very very close. However almost all fbo 4.6 stangs would get eaten alive by our cars.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
There are plenty out there, just look at Youtube. Also, there is a special class in NHRA for them. You can buy the motors from For Racing, they are sealed so you cannot make any internal mods, only external stuff like intakes, wiring. It's all checked out by the inspectors at the strip. A lot of the guys that buy the motors, wind up racing the car on the street.

You'd be extremely hard pressed to find a coyote swapped foxbody in the wild. The stock 5.0s that come in those things are turds.