GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Splitting OEM Halogen headlight housing

Nsknick

Ready to race!
Hello,

I'd like to start off with that I've scoured google and forums to try and find more information in regards to what I'm hoping to accomplish. Essentially, instead of purchasing EDS or Helix headlights, I'm wanting to try and split halogen headlight housings, and insert a led tube, similar to how Audi headlights look. I was curious if anyone has tried this, or what success they have had? I've seen very few ideas, as I don't think many people have tried it, as many with S model GTI's just go with eds or helix reps. I personally do not like either, because the LED U is not seamless. I also don't like the cord management with them. I appreciate any input anyone has!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
By "splitting," you're talking about separating the headlight assembly's lens from the rest of it, correct? Assuming VW headlights are the same as any other company's, you'll have to remove the headlights from the car, take all the bulbs and whatnot out, and then bake them in a 150 degree oven (I swear I am not making this up) for 10-15 minutes, which will heat the sealant enough to allow you to undo the clips and separate the two halves of the headlight. I've read that trying this using a heat gun instead of an oven is inadvisable, as you will end up melting the plastic. To re-assemble, you'll need another tube of sealant, and lots of spring clamps to hold the two halves tightly together while the new sealant sets.

I've never actually tried this, but I've seen many step-by-step DIYs on the RSX and Civic forums I used to frequent.

Nsknick

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reply! I actually am planning on paying to have it done, since I don't really feel like screwing it up. I'm buying a new set of Halogens for this project, looking at around $750 for everything, which isn't bad. I really want the Audi look in the headlights. Helix and Eds just do not please me in any way. I want a seamless LED line, plus a true custom look, that still looks OEM.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Thanks for the reply! I actually am planning on paying to have it done, since I don't really feel like screwing it up. I'm buying a new set of Halogens for this project, looking at around $750 for everything, which isn't bad. I really want the Audi look in the headlights. Helix and Eds just do not please me in any way. I want a seamless LED line, plus a true custom look, that still looks OEM.

Unless you're hopelessly inept, you can probably get great results by DIY; if Civic owners can do it, so can you! :D

Extreme VW

Mine have been opened and painted. No issues for two and half years