GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge

Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #358
armedferret

Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Save the brass.
Someone can reload it for you...

1. I got 2 rounds free from a friend.

2. Dies themselves are already prohibitively expensive.

3. The fuckin gun is 115 years old at the youngest, and absolutely shows its age (including the nearly 20-pound trigger pull weight). Rusty patina everywhere, and the bore is a sewer pipe. It was bought as a display piece only/reminder of those 6 months in the same valleys and ridgelines Alexander the Great marched through.

4. I have no interest in adding a non-existent blackpowder, paper-patched cartridge to my already-overwhelming reloading repertoire.

5. I have plenty of firearms to shoot, I have no interest in shooting this thing repeatedly.
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #359
armedferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
Dude! Let us know how it goes and if possible, Instagram video?

I don't have instagram anymore. Will video and upload to YT, and post here.

(although my lappy is down at the moment, so it may be a few weeks as I'll be picking up a new one cyber monday)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #360
Reggie Enchilada

Drives: MK7 GTI
Starting on Wednesday Cabela's has a great deal on the Savage 12FV rifles.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/savag...ium=AFF&rid=10
Free-floating 26" heavy-barrel and two-stage trigger

$419.99 original price. Starting Wednesday they are taking $50 off. Plus a $100 mail-in rebate. Plus $25 off if you use a Cabela's card.

$245 for an MOA or sub-MOA rifle is a hell of a deal
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #361
BlueHen

Drives: '16 GTI S PP LP 6M 4dr NBM
Yeah, can’t beat Cabela’s. I am looking to firing my $669 Savage 10 Ashbury Precision for the first time on Thanksgiving morning. My Burris XTR II 5-25 was delivered today.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #362
armedferret

It used to be you couldn't beat Cabela's. Now that Bass Pro owns 'em though, I'm not so sure. I don't blame the Cabela family for saying "screw this" and getting out, of course, just not a fan of BPS (they nearly caused a really good friend of mine, who held a clearance above Top Secret for 30+ years, to go to jail because of their incompetence).
Old 11-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #363
BlueHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
It used to be you couldn't beat Cabela's. Now that Bass Pro owns 'em though, I'm not so sure. I don't blame the Cabela family for saying "screw this" and getting out, of course, just not a fan of BPS (they nearly caused a really good friend of mine, who held a clearance above Top Secret for 30+ years, to go to jail because of their incompetence).
You can usually find better deals elsewhere for sure, and the freaking take-a-number-and-wait-an-hour before anyone will talk to you policy is maddening, but in this one instance I couldn’t pass up the deal: Savage Ashbury for $669. Here she is. I was going to zero it down in Mardela Springs this morning but it was too cold - lol:

Build sheet:
Savage Ashbury Precison rifle, 6.5 creedmoor
Accu-Shot Atlas PSR bipod
Accu-Shot monopod
Luth-AR MBA-3 stock
APA Little Bastard Gen2 brake
Burris XTR II 5-25x50 scope
Leupold Mk4 rings
Holland's scope level
Chainsaw bayonet
Old 11-24-2017, 02:26 AM   #364
Hoon

Drives: '17 GTI Sport DSG
^^ Let me know if you're handloading, i have a lot of experience with 6.5 CM.

Break it in properly, work up a decent handload, and you should have no problem getting into the .3x MOA range.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #365
BlueHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
^^ Let me know if you're handloading, i have a lot of experience with 6.5 CM.

Break it in properly, work up a decent handload, and you should have no problem getting into the .3x MOA range.
I bought three factory offerings to start with: Hornady Match in 140 and 147 grain and Win Match 140. Proper break-in will be done. If/when I begin reloading I may take you up on your e-advice; thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #366
armedferret

If you end up at DSC and the short RSO is there, tell him Mark says hi. He's a little weird but he's good people.

Here's me shooting my Afghan Martini-Henry last time we were there. Forgive the delay, the trigger was about 79 pounds or so. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaN52lmTJfU
Old 11-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #367
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Nice rifle.

I prefer budsgunshop.com for anything firearm related, personally.

In the latest, I have a Performance Center 627 5" on the way. ".357 Mag 8 Times"

Indoor range, here I(reluctantly) come.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #368
armedferret

Bud's can eat a bag of dicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XlwkA9u54
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #369
BlueHen

Quote:
If you end up at DSC and the short RSO is there, tell him Mark says hi. He's a little weird but he's good people.

Here's me shooting my Afghan Martini-Henry last time we were there. Forgive the delay, the trigger was about 79 pounds or so. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaN52lmTJfU
That RSO is pretty humorous. He treats everyone like a three year old, understandably for a public range. He gets much nicer when he sees that you donít flag the firing line with the business end of your rifle or shoot your handgun sideways. His biggest peeve is people shooting up his target frames.

My biggest peeve is idiots shooting on my target, which happened twice on Saturday. I was about to butt stroke them the second time.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #370
armedferret

you really wanna get on his good side, a horse mask or a yugo SKS with practice grenades and blanks is a surefire way

i've had people shoot my target before. usually asking them very loudly if they put the target up, followed with "THEN WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING IT?!??!" fixes it.

having been there plenty, and let Mike shoot many of my toys (bumpfiring the shorty AKs always gets a laugh), i get a lot of latitude to just do my thing. he'll even have me watch the line when it's cold and he's using the ATV to run stuff out to 300 (like the car hood a friend took on the 19th).
Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #371
BlueHen

Quote:
you really wanna get on his good side, a horse mask or a yugo SKS with practice grenades and blanks is a surefire way

i've had people shoot my target before. usually asking them very loudly if they put the target up, followed with "THEN WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING IT?!??!" fixes it.

having been there plenty, and let Mike shoot many of my toys (bumpfiring the shorty AKs always gets a laugh), i get a lot of latitude to just do my thing. he'll even have me watch the line when it's cold and he's using the ATV to run stuff out to 300 (like the car hood a friend took on the 19th).
Car hoodís still at the 300. I was shooting at the white square steel to its left. Too easy with the 6.5 creedmoor. I ran out of time to shoot 500 yards but will next time.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #372
armedferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen View Post
Car hoodís still at the 300. I was shooting at the white square steel to its left. Too easy with the 6.5 creedmoor. I ran out of time to shoot 500 yards but will next time.
Nice!

And yeah, even my MATEN in .308 is boring on the 300-yard steel.

Do they have steel at 5 yet? I honestly haven't even asked.....
Old 11-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #373
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Quote:
Bud's can eat a bag of dicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XlwkA9u54
My rebuttal, TheYankeeMarshal has recently been added to my Chicken Shit List.

For ammo, buds does me just fine.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #374
armedferret

Neither is without their flaws. But Bud's is especially fucktarded when it comes to MD. They get sent hard-copy letters directly from the Maryland State Police...NOT MSP letters sent from individuals, but MSP actually personally writes to Bud's and says ______ is completely lawful to own, buy, sell, transfer, etc. in the state of Maryland. They still say "nope, it's illegal there, you can't have it."

Probably 60% of what I shoot nowadays is handloads (the rest is russian surplus that i pick up wherever it's cheapest). I have a honey hole in PA I visit frequently to pick up powder/primers/projectiles. They're a non-corporate sporting goods store (family-owned) whose prices are typically equal to, if not better than, online prices. Plus the drive up and back is still less than shipping usually runs with hazmat etc. And I like my car, so.....win-win-win. Support a family-owned local business, great prices, and an excuse for a road trip on some great winding roads (fuck the interstates).