GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Common issues: creaking front suspension.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Most interesting. I heard some creaking/squeaking from my 17 GTI the other morning and I assumed it was from the DG springs combined with the stock strut mounts/bearings. But now I'm not so sure. Hmm...

I wonder if there's a heavy duty poly bushing that can be inserted in place of the stock bushings in the control arms?

Sorry to hear it's still noisy.

EDIT** I went to ECS's site and there's lot of poly control arm bushings available. Anyone try to fix the squeaking with these?

I'm running SuperPro bushings in the front and still have creaking. I will try lubing them. Anyone have a recommendation on a brand?

lokerola

Ready to race!
I'm running SuperPro bushings in the front and still have creaking. I will try lubing them. Anyone have a recommendation on a brand?

Interesting. No magic pill there. Hmm...

Well, if the lube works, let us know!

Welshy GOLF MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same noise on my Golf GTI PP 2016. I guess it's a design flaw as what 'dr_mat' said. Will have to live with it.

320i24v

Done! Changed the bushes, the big ones and the small ones, it is worst :)) Could something else be the problem? Swaybar or I don’t know. A video from today :(
https://youtu.be/o7aqsVOMh7o
Hello! I have had the same problem on my 2015 VW Golf R. I say have had because it is fixed for more than 8 months. We will see how long it will be cured, but until then take a look here. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/GxiVGsSTHdY
https://youtu.be/RHAfWxrXbI0

UPDATE: problem SOLVED : -> parts used: 5Q0407183F + 5Q0407182 (by Lemforder) + G052150A2 OEM VW lythium grease -> Happy to report that the problem has been successfully solved late last night. I have replaced the control arms bushings and the car is 100% silent and feels like new. Have tried all the previous speed bumps that used to "upset" her and helped in the creation of the videos, and no problems have been encountered anymore. So, good happy news! Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

lokerola

Ready to race!
Hello! I have had the same problem on my 2015 VW Golf R. I say have had because it is fixed for more than 8 months. We will see how long it will be cured, but until then take a look here. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/GxiVGsSTHdY
https://youtu.be/RHAfWxrXbI0

UPDATE: problem SOLVED : -> parts used: 5Q0407183F + 5Q0407182 (by Lemforder) + G052150A2 OEM VW lythium grease -> Happy to report that the problem has been successfully solved late last night. I have replaced the control arms bushings and the car is 100% silent and feels like new. Have tried all the previous speed bumps that used to "upset" her and helped in the creation of the videos, and no problems have been encountered anymore. So, good happy news! Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Interesting. It loos like the part numbers you listed are for the stock bushings. Is that correct? You just replaced the stock bushings and greased them?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Yes, greasing if done correctly seems to be a temporary fix. It will come back.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

tarik

Yes, greasing if done correctly seems to be a temporary fix. It will come back.

Same issue here (2016 GTI with PP). Creaking from the front over small imperfections and easy to re-produce over cobble stones. Dealer tried lubricating the metal shield on the top of the spring and said all good. Of course, after picking up the car and driving around first corner, the noise was there. Second time in the same garage, they gave me the exact same car (New) to test drive, and the same noise was there although more subtle.

Well, the noise is driving me crazy and it is something you should not hear on the new car.

I plan to take car to other garage and suggest they replace lower control arms (or bushings if they can).

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Same issue here (2016 GTI with PP). Creaking from the front over small imperfections and easy to re-produce over cobble stones. Dealer tried lubricating the metal shield on the top of the spring and said all good. Of course, after picking up the car and driving around first corner, the noise was there. Second time in the same garage, they gave me the exact same car (New) to test drive, and the same noise was there although more subtle.

Well, the noise is driving me crazy and it is something you should not hear on the new car.

I plan to take car to other garage and suggest they replace lower control arms (or bushings if they can).
Been there done that, the creak comes back. It's just as bad as it ever was now and the control arms (and bushes) are less than 8 months old.

It's a design fault they don't seem willing to acknowledge.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Mine is terrible. It almost sounds like a bad axle. It happens from a start and it's driving me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarik

Been there done that, the creak comes back. It's just as bad as it ever was now and the control arms (and bushes) are less than 8 months old.

It's a design fault they don't seem willing to acknowledge.

Mat, from the thread, I know garage replaced the control arms and all was good. Are you saying the noise is back?

Thanks

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Mat, from the thread, I know garage replaced the control arms and all was good. Are you saying the noise is back?

Thanks
Hell yes. I've not driven it much since the swap but now it's had a few months on the car and the temperature has dropped it creaks like something is about to fall off.

tarik

Hell yes. I've not driven it much since the swap but now it's had a few months on the car and the temperature has dropped it creaks like something is about to fall off.

That is bad and not encouraging. Here is my short list what can also be wrong:

- control arm bushings
- strut mounts and/or bearings
- sway bar links
- sway bar bushings

I will schedule my garage appointment for later this week and let you know results.

Thanks

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I expected no different, to be honest, but I wanted them to change the bushes as a matter of courtesy.

I believe it's the control arm bushes, and they get "bad" only when the temperature drops. I've always noted this. They seem to get better if they are successfully greased, temporarily. I've had a case open with VW UK for about a year trying to deal with it and frankly I don't have time to moan at them again. They keep telling me it's safe, and it doesn't feel loose, but it's noisy as hell.

tarik

Posted this same content in another thread on the forum.

Went to second VW dealer yesterday for brake pedal squeak and suspension noise. I was amazed with the attitude and statements that squeak is "normal." In regard to suspension, they really did not attempt to do anything. They removed some small rocks in the back plate around rotors and tightened sub frame bolts. No luck. The noise is still there.

I plan to take it with VW of America now. I will open the case and list all details including the dealer visits and what they did to remedy the problem (tightened sub-frame bolts, lubed the metal shield above the springs and told me that is normal sound VW makes) --- really lame attempts to solve the issue on the new car.

thanks