GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne stage 1.5 adjustable file help

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
So a couple of days ago I decided to take the plunge and flash my 2017 R DSG. Got the powertap, loaded up win10 on boot camp and went flashing.

When picking the map to flash I was presented with only adjustable file maps and not the regular ones everyone described previously. No problem, I'll flash the base stage 1.5 91 octane map and adjust it up from there.

Finished the flash, went to the adjustment settings and noticed there was boost and octane selections. Not knowing what boost limit settings to use, I left it at 23 and changed the octane to 93. Went for a few pills and the car feels better than my jb4 did up top, but down low it felt like it would spike a little and bring it down very quickly. Then the boost would ramp up more towards redline. This is what I would imagine a low output/torque map would feel like. However, i don't want that.

Jb4 map 4 logging shows a very quick spike that does instantly as well. Throttle and pedal position planted firmly at 100% for both, so it doesn't seem the throttle is closing. Also to note that I disabled the torque limiter using obd11.

So I asked around on some forums and no one could tell me what boost limit I should be using. I assume I can set it higher, but no one can confirm or even mention it. I emailed support and the only answer I got was to read the readme when you open the adjustable settings. Which is fine, but it didn't answer my question at all. I just wanted to know what the boost limit settings for the older stage 1.5 93 maps were.

Any of you guys know anything about what these should be set to?

Ps- I plan on getting the tcu tune as well, but I want a basis of comparassion for a couple of weeks before I flash it.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
People were reporting around 23-24psi on Stg1.5 if I remember correctly. Check the Eurodyne Updates thread in the GTI Engine section for more info, there are plenty of people with R's that post in there.

Adjustable file is more for people with water/meth or ethanol-blends. They can get the most out of the adjustable settings.

If you are using 93oct. gas, set it for 93oct and 24psi. Do some logs and go from there.

If you have access to E85 you can have some fun with the files. General consensus is that an E20-40 blend is safe on stock fueling.

For example, I have an E40 blend, so I set my timing to 97oct and boost to 26psi, but keep in mind that I have an IS20. Guys with IS38's set theirs up to 28psi with E30-40 blends, IC upgrades, and upgraded plugs.

What you set your's to will depend on what fuels you have available and what supporting mods that you have done. Upgraded IC's and E blends allow you to make more boost safely and run more aggressive timing.

The file won't allow you to set a value outside of the "safe" range, but you still need to be careful about what you set it as. For example, don't set the octane setting to a higher value than the octane of your fuel. Doing that is a surefire way to get misfires, timing corrections, and other issues. Setting it under is fine, but not over. As for peak boost, don't set it too high without the proper supporting mods, ex. IC and spark plugs.

Last edited:

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
I did bump it up for the sake of logging, but that super short spike is still there. Since I'm on my phone I have no way to datazap the logs on here for you to see (I'll try to get those tomorrow).

It's still the same at 24psi. I feel like the car is holding back some

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually, ED emailed me back and basically answered the question I was wondering about.

"If you want the maximum boost the file was tuned for, set it higher. As explained in the readme, the boost will never exceed the maximum safe limits set in the file"

Im just going to step it up 1psi daily until I find a setting I am comfortable with, and get the dsg tune, because why not :D

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Have you upgraded your intercooler?

You'll need to keep an eye on the intake air temp either way, especially when increasing the boost setting

gswcowboy

Actually, ED emailed me back and basically answered the question I was wondering about.

"If you want the maximum boost the file was tuned for, set it higher. As explained in the readme, the boost will never exceed the maximum safe limits set in the file"

Im just going to step it up 1psi daily until I find a setting I am comfortable with, and get the dsg tune, because why not :D

Where you at now? i'm in the same boat for my 2017 R so i'm curious

gswcowboy

Did you also get the DSG tune w/ a downpipe for Stage 2 or just for Stage 1.5?

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I'm still confused by the adjustable map. If the tune will never exceed safe parameters regardless of the selected boost level, why wouldn't you just set it to the highest boost setting? Outside of a scenario where you intentionally want to limit power it doesn't seem very useful.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I'm still confused by the adjustable map. If the tune will never exceed safe parameters regardless of the selected boost level, why wouldn't you just set it to the highest boost setting? Outside of a scenario where you intentionally want to limit power it doesn't seem very useful.

You can run high boost with retarded timing (*if you fuel quality can't handle it) or lower boost and more optimized timing making the same power. The latter will be better for the longevity of your turbo.

importrx7

Ready to race!
You can run high boost with retarded timing (*if you fuel quality can't handle it) or lower boost and more optimized timing making the same power. The latter will be better for the longevity of your turbo.

Exactly what he said. You do better with more timing “higher octane” vs more boost. Eventually the turbo is just making to much heat when at really high levels. The computer will end up pulling timing from all the heat.