GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Too many choices on wheel sets

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
My mind has melted trying to decide what setup to go with and could use outside perspective, opinions very welcome [emoji16]!!

Car; White 2017 GTI Autobahn soon to be lowered on HR Sport Spring. I do have spacers 10mm front and 12mm rear..

Or??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
OZ makes good wheels.
Firestone good but are you in Canada?
Is this for summer only?
Bridgestone makes a new AS tires. The RE980 500 AA A rated.
I have had a week and like the dry grip and feel.

I have OZ Leggera's HLT. Like mine. Light and feel good.
You should not have to run spacers unless you want the super flush fit.
Here are mine. Have had two years with Bridgestone RE-11 tires.

For 5 spoke I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
OZ makes good wheels.
Firestone good but are you in Canada?
Is this for summer only?
Bridgestone makes a new AS tires. The RE980 500 AA A rated.
I have had a week and like the dry grip and feel.

I have OZ Leggera's HLT. Like mine. Light and feel good.
You should not have to run spacers unless you want the super flush fit.
Here are mine. Have had two years with Bridgestone RE-11 tires.

For 5 spoke I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll keep spacers with the stock Austin’s with all season for winter plus I’ve got a 4\4 when or if it gets bad, not too much of the white stuff on Vancouver Island.
I do like the flush look and would like the new set up to have none or minimal as I can get!
Love the set up you’re running as well!! What tire size are the tires? What offset are they, any spacers?, oh and the colour ??
Agh see I can’t make up my mind.... Evertime I say that’s it I see something fantastic like this!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I’ll keep spacers with the stock Austin’s with all season for winter plus I’ve got a 4\4 when or if it gets bad, not too much of the white stuff on Vancouver Island.
I do like the flush look and would like the new set up to have none or minimal as I can get!
Love the set up you’re running as well!! What tire size are the tires? What offset are they, any spacers?, oh and the colour ??
Agh see I can’t make up my mind.... Evertime I say that’s it I see something fantastic like this!

My OZ's are 18X8.
Tires I run are 235/40R18.
I strongly recommend 235's as the extra SW is noticeable over a stock 225.
Not sure on spacing. Been a while since I looked up the info.
I think the Ultra Leggera's would be similar. So you might want a 5mm spacer.
Tirerack can help.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Either one of those is fine. However if your going 245/40 I would suggest an 8.5” wheel.

The 8 will work but the 8.5 is ideal.

If you’re dead set on 8” I would go 235/40.

If you’re going 245/40-18 spend the few extra $$ and get the Michelin Pilot 4S.

It’s probably an extra $200-$300 and they are worth every $$.

Quieter than the Firehawks, more dry and wet grip as well.

I have a suspicion they ride better and the 340 treadwear means you should get more life out of them.

I have Super sports on my GTI and 911, they’re amazing tires!

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think the Enkei's look better and a few bucks less to boot. The tires you picked are phenomenal for the price. I ran them in 235/40/18 this year, including two track days and 12k miles later I'm still shocked at the amount of tread left.

One comment though, if I were going to buy wheels I would be aiming to not use any spacers. Unless you are looking to clear a BBK I'd consider maybe a different wheel fitment to get the wheels where you want them.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
I think the Enkei's look better and a few bucks less to boot. The tires you picked are phenomenal for the price. I ran them in 235/40/18 this year, including two track days and 12k miles later I'm still shocked at the amount of tread left.

One comment though, if I were going to buy wheels I would be aiming to not use any spacers. Unless you are looking to clear a BBK I'd consider maybe a different wheel fitment to get the wheels where you want them.

Ideally yes I’d rather not have spacers. But seams we are limited on offsets unless custom wheels?
Aren’t most aftermarket wheels offsets greater than stock? I’m guessing I’d have to get smaller spacers with the new wheels, if any but that’ll wait once they are on the car.

Lopez0101

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 Mk7 GTI
I got Neuspeed's because I prefer the direct fit to having to use hub rings, and I liked not having to get new lug bolts, or convert to studs. With Neuspeed's offsets the wheels have come out a bit and are much closer to flush than stock without having to use spacers.

athos56

Ready to race!
I got Neuspeed's because I prefer the direct fit to having to use hub rings, and I liked not having to get new lug bolts, or convert to studs. With Neuspeed's offsets the wheels have come out a bit and are much closer to flush than stock without having to use spacers.

I came to that same conclusion. I've finally decided on the RSe05 myself.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Whenever I see a "what wheel?" post I just want to leave this:

http://www.neuspeedflowform.com

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/vmr-wheels/

Direct fits, designed for all factory hardware, tried, tested. I'm sure there are a few other brands that do the same but these are my go-tos.

If you're not familiar with wheels and tires (not directing that at OP) those are no hassle options. Then again, if you're working with Tire Rack their tech and support is great, so you'll get hub rings, new bolts, etc. that are correct.