GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf R Autocross

KyleKisstro

Passed Driver's Ed
Also I got porked over. I was STX and ordered STX and then the day after my second event we changed to STU. I would've won STU for my second event lol. Just ordered 2 new U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow*Jim

Ready to race!
Nope, lost interest in all the crazyness of SCCA classes and rules years ago. It's just too much.

Pics from our local Miata club autox yesterday. Love running on a kart track.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Hey fellas! I'm a decently seasoned autocrosser and just moved from an MK7 GTI to an MK7 R. I'm looking forward to my first event in it in a few weeks!

Luckily/unluckily my RPF1s/RE71Rs from my MK6-MK7 fit so I'll use them at least at first. Saves me money, they are super light, but only 7.5" wide instead of the 8" I could be using. (At least they're 235).

My big question is whether I need a rear swaybar. The 25mm on the GTI was perfect; but the R seems a little more Tail happy stock. I'm just afraid the front will push too much. I guess I really need to do my first event to find out what the car needs.

Second question: is the camber adjustable on the front in a stock R? I know the MK6 GTI was not and it was disappointing. Hoping the R is, guess I need to search.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Mk 7 is front camber adjustable only to the extent that the camber can be evened out side-to-side by moving the subframe. Camber plates is the only way to get adjustability. CSS swivels and SuperPro LCAs will provide additional fixed negative camber. There are no adjustable ball joints available for the MQB chassis, although some claim that the SuperPro Mk 6 ball joint will fit. SuperPro explicitly has said that they are not developing a MQB-specific ball joint due to packaging problems.

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
What size is the RPF1? If your car came with 19s, 17s are not legal for Street class allowance. Though if you have 17s I'd be curious to see the fitment and clearance. TR said they don't clear but if its just the wheel weights that might be ok...

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Hey RM! I always end up talking to you (and that's a good thing). I thought there was an 18" option for the R (according to Tirerack, so that could be total BS). My existing RPF1s are 17x7.5; and they cleared the GTI PP brakes by moving the wheel weights to the inner part of the whee barrel. Had plenty of room then ;). They also cleared the R brakes on a test for this weekend.

I'm also wondering which DCC setting is better, normal or sport. I assume Sport, which is what I'll try first.

EDIT: I see a couple of sources showing 18" or 19" as options. Either way, I'd love to upgrade to 8" wheels but I hate to spend the money for another light set.

Last edited:

big residual

Passed Driver's Ed
You could select either 18 x 7.5 in. wheels with 225/40R-18 tires or
19 x 8 in. wheels with 235/35-19 tires stock.

No DCC Race?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Per rule, if your car came with 18x7.5 you can run 19x7.5 or 17x7.5. But if your car came with 19x8, you can run 20x8 or 18x8. You can't technically mix and match sizes....

I guess the question is if the 19x8s just came as an option by itself or as part of a package. SCCA's stance is you can convert a car to a different package, but you'd need to have all the bits of the package also.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
I see your point. If the car came with 18x7.5 I'd be fine to use my 17x7.5 RPF1s, but not 17x8 (in either case). I will stick with my 17x7.5 for now and see if I can determine for sure what the car came with. I won't feel bad about doing that considering at worst I've given myself a performance disadvantage!

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
So - what class does a Stage 1 tune (27psi) put the R in? I purchased and installed a boost gauge this weekend and SURPRISE! I am apparently Stage 1 because it’s hitting 27psi. Oops.

I’ll have to let my club know to change the results from my first event since I won BS by 2 seconds! There was only one car in SM (2012 EVO X) and I beat his time, surprisingly, since I have no suspension mods.

Here’s a link to the my runs...including a spin! And I know I had plenty of room for improvement.

https://youtu.be/vZ84yC6I3tQ

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Also, I’m in for suggestions on swaybars and camber adjustment options (the cheaper the better). I’m not looking to upgrade right now as I just dropped a chunk on wheels/tires/etc but may look into it considering I’m leapfrogging ST class.

Brendon1

Passed Driver's Ed
So - what class does a Stage 1 tune (27psi) put the R in? I purchased and installed a boost gauge this weekend and SURPRISE! I am apparently Stage 1 because it’s hitting 27psi. Oops.

I’ll have to let my club know to change the results from my first event since I won BS by 2 seconds! There was only one car in SM (2012 EVO X) and I beat his time, surprisingly, since I have no suspension mods.

Here’s a link to the my runs...including a spin! And I know I had plenty of room for improvement.

https://youtu.be/vZ84yC6I3tQ

Pretty sure it's STU