Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Blizzak LM001

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Forget blizzaks - go with something else

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

vwauug

Ready to race!
Hi all - just curious form other's experiences - between the the Blizzak WS80 and the LM001, which is best for the golf R?

My winter set-up is 18" VW Roatary wheels - so I'll be going with 225/40. I've run the LM-32 on my S4 and really liked them. I've heard the WS80 is "softer" where as the LM001 is performance oriented. The question I was asked at the shop - " will you be doing 140mph in these? if not buy the cheaper tire. The WS80 is the best option too" - that said I'd like some compliant drive-ability given these will be run Nov - March.

Limited reviews on the LM001 - but this is the option I'm planning on going with....any real world reviews appreciated.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
You might not think that you need high speed tires in the Winter, but then again, perhaps you do. Even in Chicago (I know, because that's where I grew up) Winter driving isn't all trudging through heavy snow; the majority of your driving is in the dry and sometimes the wet. In those conditions you might well find yourself near or into triple digits, if you drive like me. On pure "snow" tires the cornering, stopping, ride quality, and road noise are all so compromised that driving at very high speeds isn't always prudent. Opting for "Performance Winter" tires, such as the LM001s can allow you near-summer driving characteristics in the Winter months--especially in a car with a sophisticated AWD system like the R's.

I run Michelin Pilot alpin PA4's in the Winter and have been blown away both by how well they handle snowy streets as well as ice-cold dry surfaces. In the snow, it just gets up and goes. I've played stop-light grand prix with Jeep CJs, and felt totally planted at 80+ MPH through windy Allegheny mountain passes with the road below freezing. Remember, though Performance Winter tires have less tread depth than full-on snow tires, they are still way better than the all season radials which most people are driving on in terms of tread design and rubber compound for Winter driving conditions.

Now, if you have a long, uphill, unplowed, driveway that you have to deal with, or you frequently take Winter ski-trips, those Blizzak WS80's might be just the trick. Otherwise, you'll probably be better able to realize the potential of your R in the Winter months with something like the Bridgestone LM001's or the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's on 18" wheels.

Evil Minion

Ready to race!
Or save a few bucks and go with just as good of a tire with the General Altimax Arctics. Had them on my old slightly lowered WRX and they were unstoppable. Mistakenly ended up on a snow mobile trail with over 6" of snow a few years ago when trying to find a stage for Sno*Drift (far north Michigan, all the snow, all the ice). Just drove through it for about 2 miles like it was nothing.

Wife has run them on her Fusion for the last 3 years in the winter, and they still look like they are at almost full tread after all that time.

I'll be getting a set for the GTI in a few weeks.

ADVNTURR

Passed Driver's Ed
What Al_in_Philly said. Determining where/how you will be driving should be a big factor in deciding on winter tires.

I run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's on my R and before that, I had a set of the Pilot Alpin PA2's on my MK4 TDI Golf and I have nothing but praise for them. For reference on how they do in deep snow, I present the following from last winter when my snow blower wouldn't start and the R became a plow:

We run a set of the Blizzak WS series on my wife's Mini during the winter, and while the traction in snow is good, their road manners for the 95% of the time when the roads aren't snow covered don't hold a candle to my Alpins. Additionally, when the temps start to creep north of 50F, the WS's start really feeling soft whereas I can still rip through the mountains of WV/VA even with a loaded roof box on my R on my Alpins.

vwauug

Ready to race!
Thanks for the great feedback. Gonna give the LM001s a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vwauug

Ready to race!
Just order the LMs. Getting them mounted this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro