GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sticky cloth sunshade vexes me

OnlyZuul

Passed Driver's Ed
Is mine broken? It seems to require an excessive amount of effort to move the damn thing, and I always feel like i'm about to break it.

Also, that cloth just kinda hangs down loosely, but I feel like it should be retracting into a hidden area someplace like a window rollup shade does...

dub_guy

Ready to race!
The shade should be retracting like a roll-up shade. If you're pulling the shade over the sunroof and then pushing it back, the shade should not be hanging down.

alderran1

Ready to race!
Mine is sticky too. Funny thing is when I picked up the car that cheesy shade was something I hadn't noticed. I remember thinking that maybe I am making a mistake. Now 2 years later I know it was a mistake. Car uses a quart of oil every 3K miles, has been back to the dealer for creaking sunroof 6 times (they have made it worse), there is rust starting on the hinge of the rear hatch and I have to keep putting anti freeze in it every couple of months, but it doesn't leak when I bring it to the dealer.

But if they don't all do it I'll complain about it and make them fix it. My goal at this point is to make VW lose as much money as possible on my POS and advise everyone I can not to ever by a VW. They are complete piles of junk!

TQ_MKVII

Ready to race!
Mine is sticky too. Funny thing is when I picked up the car that cheesy shade was something I hadn't noticed. I remember thinking that maybe I am making a mistake. Now 2 years later I know it was a mistake. Car uses a quart of oil every 3K miles, has been back to the dealer for creaking sunroof 6 times (they have made it worse), there is rust starting on the hinge of the rear hatch and I have to keep putting anti freeze in it every couple of months, but it doesn't leak when I bring it to the dealer.

But if they don't all do it I'll complain about it and make them fix it. My goal at this point is to make VW lose as much money as possible on my POS and advise everyone I can not to ever by a VW. They are complete piles of junk!

It sure sounds like your car has some issues..........how many miles are on it now? Are you stock?

Tatanko

Ready to race!
My goal at this point is to make VW lose as much money as possible on my POS and advise everyone I can not to ever by a VW. They are complete piles of junk!
So your strategy is to post this kind of "warning" on message board threads where existing owners of said brand hang out? I don't see that being terribly effective...

EDIT: I see from your post history that you basically made an account to complain about your car. Doesn't that ever get tiring?

dub_guy

Ready to race!

Just stop.

Wass

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same problem with my 16 GTI. The frame shifts or twists slightly as you slide it. There is a TSB on the sunroof shade. It was fixed under warranty.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion

Please sell your car and take public transportation, as you clearly can't do basic car maintenance.

Edit: alderran1 is clearly a troll account, what a sorry life he must lead...

Subito

Ready to race!

Then why don't you just sell the car? The fact that you don't suggests you are either a masochist or a moron...or both. Please clear up the mystery!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I had the same problem with my 16 GTI. The frame shifts or twists slightly as you slide it. There is a TSB on the sunroof shade. It was fixed under warranty.

Do you have a link to the TSB? My sunroof shade is too loose. Dealer tried to fix it and didn't really do anything. I have to go back sooner or later.

Wass

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have an actual copy of it but this will help.

TSB Number:V601605_2043788 Date: May 18, 2016 - Date Added to File:June 20, 2017:
Failing Component:Visibility:Sun Roof AssemblySummary:The shade track in the sunroof frame was manufactured at the largest tolerance which allows the shade to twist during operation. If this happens, the metallic bands of the shade will move out of the proper location and can unwind.

alderran1

Ready to race!
Then why don't you just sell the car? The fact that you don't suggests you are either a masochist or a moron...or both. Please clear up the mystery!
I considered it about a month after purchasing but kbb said the car I paid 28k was only worth 18k. Biggest mistake of my life which I made in part after hearing glowing reviews from nuthuggers on forums like this. I devote my life to keeping others from making the same stupid mistake

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk