GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Autocross settings

solort1

Just purchased a used 2017 GTI Autobahn (includes DSG, PP and DCC). I bought it for a DD but will have to try it for autocross . I know the 2nd gear is much shorter than Manual, but wondered if S mode or Manual mode would give me more shifting control. Does manual mode hold gear till redline then shift? And what RPM will it allow me to quickly downshift from 3rd to 2nd on a fast course? I would guess that Sport mode for DCC would be best, or are there any suggested settings for custom? And is holding down the traction button for appx 10 sec the mode with the least nannies? I have owned 3 early Sciroccos, 2 16V Sciroccos, 2 VR6 Corrados, and a 2011 GTI. Jen Wong was gracious enough to let me co drive his well prepped GTI in Detroit a while back, and it was then that I knew I would purchase a Mk7 at some point.

Thx for any suggestions...

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I have a 2017 S DSG that I've autocrossed twice now and I definitely prefer shifting manually. I don't have DCC but I ran with normal steering and engine/transmission in sport mode. Manual mode will hold gear until redline. I believe as long as the shift wouldn't result in an over rev it will allow the downshift from 3rd to 2nd, I've accidentally downshifted when I meant to upshift when I first got the car [emoji38]

Yup, holding down the traction control button to disable ASR and go into ESC sport has the least nannies besides doing the ESC off coding with VCDS or OBD11. I don't think this is allowed under SCCA rules (at least for the G street class) but RacingManiac would know more about that.

Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

rexneffect

Ready to race!
I put it in manual and let it shift itself to 2nd, then sometimes it'll go to 3rd on a fast section and I'll manually go back to 2nd when I get on the brakes. Basically, leave in manual and downshift to 2nd when needed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Hey Clay, interesting to see you getting one of these.

I had a DSG car in MK6 before I switched to MK7 for MT. It had some idiosyncrasy that you probably have to get used to. The car won't hold gear, and the MK7 I've driven on the street with DSG is the same(I've not autocrossed a DSG MK7). Basically all the fast section on a National Tour level courses you are probably going to end up in 3rd, this car pulls way harder than my old MK6 and all the Toledo style course I've had my old car on are 3rd gear courses. Once you realized that it just makes you get used to tugging the downshift paddle braking into a tighter section. It won't down shift to first easily so that is a plus. Other thing to get used to is the gas pedal there is a detente button at the bottom of the travel that initiate kickdown in S or M mode. So if you mash the gas pedal past the button you will get the car to kick down if it CAN be shifted to first. So that could be annoying sometimes.

I know Jack didn't like his DSG car but once I get used to the it it wasn't that much of a problem(a bit easier to launch too). Bob Smith does quite well in his also(he sold his recently). And since DSG has a much greater capacity to handle extra torque, might be an interesting option for STH prep too.

As far as driving mode, I leave everything in Sport autocrossing. Daily I only switch steering to Normal. And yes long press the ESC button got you into ESC Sport, which is the least intrusive mode that is legal for Street. When you drove mine I had done VCDS code to enable ESC OFF. I wrote a letter that year to clarify and once they said that was not allowed I switched it back.

solort1

Hey Clay, interesting to see you getting one of these.

I had a DSG car in MK6 before I switched to MK7 for MT. It had some idiosyncrasy that you probably have to get used to. The car won't hold gear, and the MK7 I've driven on the street with DSG is the same(I've not autocrossed a DSG MK7). Basically all the fast section on a National Tour level courses you are probably going to end up in 3rd, this car pulls way harder than my old MK6 and all the Toledo style course I've had my old car on are 3rd gear courses. Once you realized that it just makes you get used to tugging the downshift paddle braking into a tighter section. It won't down shift to first easily so that is a plus. Other thing to get used to is the gas pedal there is a detente button at the bottom of the travel that initiate kickdown in S or M mode. So if you mash the gas pedal past the button you will get the car to kick down if it CAN be shifted to first. So that could be annoying sometimes.

I know Jack didn't like his DSG car but once I get used to the it it wasn't that much of a problem(a bit easier to launch too). Bob Smith does quite well in his also(he sold his recently). And since DSG has a much greater capacity to handle extra torque, might be an interesting option for STH prep too.

As far as driving mode, I leave everything in Sport autocrossing. Daily I only switch steering to Normal. And yes long press the ESC button got you into ESC Sport, which is the least intrusive mode that is legal for Street. When you drove mine I had done VCDS code to enable ESC OFF. I wrote a letter that year to clarify and once they said that was not allowed I switched it back.

Jen,

Thx for the pointers. You seemed to have developed your car more to the allowable maxes than most, and with great results. Yeah, I really bought it as a daily driver, but may use it at a few local events instead on my well prepped DS FRS I have nicknamed The Torqueless Wonder....

I still owe you an autocross ride if you ever head down South. Won't be making it to Nats this year, but will watch you for your usual great showings there. Hope your car is repaired before then. I may PM you for a few more pointers on GTI setup after Nats. Good luck, my friend!

solort1

I put it in manual and let it shift itself to 2nd, then sometimes it'll go to 3rd on a fast section and I'll manually go back to 2nd when I get on the brakes. Basically, leave in manual and downshift to 2nd when needed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's what i was thinking would probably be best...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Jen,

Thx for the pointers. You seemed to have developed your car more to the allowable maxes than most, and with great results. Yeah, I really bought it as a daily driver, but may use it at a few local events instead on my well prepped DS FRS I have nicknamed The Torqueless Wonder....

I still owe you an autocross ride if you ever head down South. Won't be making it to Nats this year, but will watch you for your usual great showings there. Hope your car is repaired before then. I may PM you for a few more pointers on GTI setup after Nats. Good luck, my friend!

Yeah I am one of those crazy people that bothered to max out the Street allowance on a car that just eats tires...lol

I might take you up on that if they bring the Bristol thing back next year. I wanted to go this year but I had a wedding to attend and Hawaii sounded fun, hah...

SEAXR

RacingManiac, I would like to prep a DSG for STH, but I am not sure it can keep up with an MK6 Golf R or the WRX. The clutch on the manual MK6 R will surely fail, but would definitely be my choice just for Lincoln. Lugod was able to put down decent times in the STX-prepped ST, but I think the times would need to be near STU times to beat the Golf R or WRX. Any in depth thoughts of STH prep/capability?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think MK7 GTI can play in STH. It will be lighter by a significant chunk over the MK6 R or the WRX. A GS prepped car can be in low 2900s. I think the diff is extremely effective and I think its a better base car than FoST.

SEAXR

Thank you for the thoughts. We have an MK7 GTI manual that I have autocrossed next to an HS Fiesta ST. Our manual GTI is NOT prepped for solo, but driving it has me thinking the DSG would be a blast. It can handle the power where the manual will not. I do think the tall 2nd gear in the manual would be a nice match with the extra torque when on the courses at Nationals but the thrust curve of the DSG's second gear and the quick shifts should make it interesting. I just believe near [AWD] STU times would be achievable by a tuned MK6 R whereas the GTI should not quite get there. I will try the VCDS code to have ESC off. I will likely send you a few PMs for some recommendations. Thanks again.