GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Park Assist Retrofit?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Found this on Vortex. Read down and you will see a link to a kit. I thought the Golf R didn't have the motor to turn the steering wheel, and the kit doesn't show one. Am I missing something? Perhaps EU cars have the motor? Lots of work but only about $400 shipped?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...retrofitted-enabled&p=100592609#post100592609

Kit: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-golf-7-5g0-park-assist-pla-upgrade-set,id1462.html

Instructions, but you might need a translator: http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread...new-to-VW)&p=93431569&viewfull=1#post93431569

Last edited:

nate704

Go Kart Champion
2017 R has Lane departure thing that steers the car to the center of the lane for about 8 seconds, so the steering hardware is already there.
I guess (for this retrofit), you will need to install 4 side sensors, sensor modules, wiring in between the to and to the BCM or any related modules.
Parts might be only $400, but the labor will be really high since it involves a lot of disassembly and electrical wiring (even if it is plug and play type) process.
Also, the park assist is pretty much useless anyway unless you just learn how to drive and park today.

bigmahlman

Passed Driver's Ed
It's more of a show off thing than a need thing. Out of all the features missing on The 2015s drivers assistance the ACC would be the most useful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Found this on Vortex. Read down and you will see a link to a kit. I thought the Golf R didn't have the motor to turn the steering wheel, and the kit doesn't show one. Am I missing something?

I read long ago that the R doesn't have the auto-parking feature because of the 4Motion hardware and it not being compatible. I don't recall if this was from some "reliable" source, or just another forum blowhard someplace. :D

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
2017 R has Lane departure thing that steers the car to the center of the lane for about 8 seconds, so the steering hardware is already there.

Source of this info? Or are you just guessing?

I seriously doubt that this "steering hardware" you're referring to isn't the same to bump the car back to the center of the lane, as the full-blown parking assist hardware is, that actually has to be able to completely turn the wheel.

gdfraser

Ready to race!

I seriously doubt that this "steering hardware" you're referring to isn't the same to bump the car back to the center of the lane, as the full-blown parking assist hardware is, that actually has to be able to completely turn the wheel.
It's not just the motor on the rack? I would be surprised if there was yet another motor dedicated to the park assist system.

nate704

Go Kart Champion

I am just guessing, but educated one i guess. Why would they put the separate system that does the same thing? Steering

importrx7

Ready to race!
There is no motor on the steering, all of the lane control features are done using the brakes. I have a 17 with it and you can feel it drag the brakes if you forget to signal when changing lanes.

ghost_rider

There is no motor? So how your brakes can turn your steering wheel when it park itself?
Lane control is quite different think than PLA

Btw. I retrofitted similar kit in my previous mk6. Nice to have but... I used it 3 times lol. Useless gadget imo

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My original post was when I didn't know how it worked. The Lane Assist only uses the camera on the windshield to read the lines on the road and drags the brakes to steer left or right to keep you centered (provided you activated Lane Tracking). Otherwise you just ping-pong off the lines, and I found it will let you go over the lines.

The Park Assist, not be confused with Park Pilot (which only beeps when you get too close to something while parking - sometimes), does have an electric motor to turn the wheel. But I never looked into where it's located. Also, when you have Park Assist you have extra ultrasonic sensors on the sides of the bumpers, one extra on each side as far as I can tell. If there's more I don't know where they are. If you have a GTI the diagram of the car on the Infotainment display shows the sides of the car; on the R it doesn't. I see no reason why R's can't have it too. Do ROW R's have it?

dick.timmerman

The Park Assist, not be confused with Park Pilot (which only beeps when you get too close to something while parking - sometimes), does have an electric motor to turn the wheel.
Nope. Nowadays steering assist (power steering) is done electronically in stead of hydraulically. So the rack is indeed your "steering motor"

paul_elstak

Passed Driver's Ed
retrofit possible?

So if I read it correctly the retrofit should be 'easy' if you have normal PDC and lane assist? Only need
  • 4 extra sensors in the side skerts?
  • some wiring
  • coding?

Already upgraded the camera to highline so can be fun doing this upgrade as well.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Golf R's can't park themselves. I created this thread before I knew that. GTI's, at least in the US, can park themselves if they have the Driver Assistance Package.