GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ideal Size for Winter Wheels

wilsonj

Ready to race!
This is my first upcoming winter with my Golf R.

I live in PA and we typically have moderate snow falls.

I am starting to look at purchasing winter wheels and keep 19" pret's for summer.

I've only had Jetta's before with 16" wheels.

I am trying to decide between 17" and 18" wheels.

I will have brand new snow tires on all 4.

Will I notice a significant difference between 17" and 18" wheels in terms of traction in snow conditions?

The local tire shop recommended 17" wheels - looking for more opinions.

Thank you!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Go with the 17" wheels. On my previous GTI with 18" summer wheels, and on my current R with, also, base 18" summer wheels, I went downsize. For the GTI I went to 16", but those won't clear the calipers on the R or a PP equipped GTI, so I'm on 17" when the snows come. The 17" wheels ride better, work fantastic in the snow, are cheaper to buy and fit with tires, and just work well all around.

I do live in northern Vermont, where it's very hilly, the weather can suck hard with really cold days as well as a fair amount of precipitation, and where we put on snow tires in early November and don't take them off until early April. Any car I have I'm going to go downsize for winter if I can.

wilsonj

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone - so far looks like 17".

Anyone find any good 17" wheels?

I like these so far - BBS SR in Satin Grey.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bbs-parts/17-sr-set-of-four/sr005sgkt/

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I went with these: 17X7.5 SPORT EDITION CS3 SILVER from TireRack. About 18 months ago they were $432 including the centering ring and lugbolts. Paired them with 225/45R-17 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL (cutting and pasting from my order, that's why the caps). Work great.

One more vote for 17" wheels. I use to run 17" Denver (OE VW) wheels in the
winter which I had from my former GTI. However those BBS SR are quite nice.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
My plan for this winter is to go with 18" Cadiz with 225/40/R18 Michelin Alpin PA4. Never had a winter set before but pretty happy with this. 17s look too close to the brakes for me, and I really like the Cadiz anyway. I tend to stay OEM, but those BBS SR wheels you have picked look gorgeous.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The 17" clear the brakes fine; the only potential issue might be the rather tight clearance which can get clogged with heavy snow or slush. In the winter every time I park I have to clear out the snow from the wheels and wheel wells with a stick or brush, or it makes horrible wobbles and sounds on the highway. But this is true pretty much with any passenger car wheel I've seen up here.

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
From PA too, picked up a set of 18" wheels and Michelin Alpin's. Traction and drivability was great this past winter.

(I have a set of 17" Denver's I'm trying to get rid of if interested - free!)

wilsonj

Ready to race!
From PA too, picked up a set of 18" wheels and Michelin Alpin's. Traction and drivability was great this past winter.

(I have a set of 17" Denver's I'm trying to get rid of if interested - free!)

There are a lot more wheel options for 18" in comparison to 17".

You didn't have a problem finding tires?

Seems like some people now are saying 18" isn't bad.

Thank you everyone

btmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been looking for winter set-ups as well, but most likely going with the 17's.

The wheels I've been looking at are 17 x 8", but different sites recommend different tire sizes... 235/45R17 vs 225/45R17.

Does anyone know if both will fit the 17x8 and how that works?