GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Non-premium gas for a 2000 mile trip

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Don't think I'm going to go though. It's entirely too hot, and my brother is a Trump retard with a brand new kid. Not sure I really feel like dealing with family bullshit.

Wise decision.

P.S. - Maybe put diesel in it and disconnect the coil packs. Diesel cars get good mileage right?

1010driver

I have ~1200 miles on my R. I put only regular unleaded 87 in it, and I doubt the free tank of gasoline from the dealership is any higher ;)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have ~1200 miles on my R. I put only regular unleaded 87 in it, and I doubt the free tank of gasoline from the dealership is any higher ;)

If you fully intend to continue doing so, please stay on the forums. How much do you drive? It'd be a very interesting experiment to see whether/how much of a difference using regular for the life of the engine causes any difference in carbon buildup @ 40k+ miles. We could all benefit from the data, since there's a pretty snobby attitude about using lower than 91 octane around here, with tons of arguments on both sides of the fence. I use 93 in my GTI during the summer since it's on the stock IC so I just prefer the comfort of maximum headroom with respect to timing pull. That said, I will almost definitely try a few tanks of 87 this winter and compare to 93 for gas mileage/timing. I'm completely stock.

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
87 vs 93 is not an issue of carbon buildup or mileage. It is performance and possibly longevity. If the timing/boost can't be pulled fast and far enough by the ECU when knock is detected, damage could result.

1010driver

GolfWang: Yes, I am going to continue to use 87 until the factory warranty expires. Then I may want 93 with a ECU flash. So far I got the dreadful CEL/misfire on the first week of ownership after 300 miles, but that is not unique based on others' MY17 experience on the forums. I would advise against switching fuel grade frequently. That is when the ECU re-learns and uses the wrong timing.

todd92: Yes, I agree the octane number has nothing to do to carbon buildup. I think the cure is probably by running the engine hard after oil temperature reaches the 210's.

drshark

Ready to race!
Quick premium fuel availability observation...

Last year in Newfoundland, and now in rural Kansas, finding octane over 86/87 was not trivial. Last year, I was forced to buy and carry around octane booster. Last week, I mixed in a little 86 and kept driving toward civilization until I found what I wanted.

Just so we all realize that high (-ish) octane is not as omnipresent as you might think...