GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Non-premium gas for a 2000 mile trip

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I might be making a trip back home to visit my parents soon. It's 1031 miles door to door each way. Has anyone run a long trip without running premium in the R? I know the GTI will run on crap gas, but curious how the R handles it. I'm fine paying 50 cents a gallon extra for day to day driving, but for a 1000 mile trip sitting at 80-85 and getting around 27 mpg (estimated on what I get on the highway) it's still around 75 gallons of gas. Which is about an extra 50 bucks for the trip using premium.

Bad idea? Doesn't matter? Anyone done this?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
It'll be fine. You'll know to stay off boost as much as possible, and even if you floor it it'll just pull timing like a mofo.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if you've ever spent 16 hours in a car, but you're not boosting at all. You set cruise control and try to stay awake. Once I'm home I'll top off with good gas.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
What does the R owner's manual say about octane for the car?
If it doesn't specifically note that 87 is o.k. (like it does for the '16/'17 GTI), then I'd stick with 91.

One can intend to stay out of boost; but you never know what conditions you'll encounter during the trip.

tko1

Some cars have a knock sensor. Trip it (which is easy to do, just a little extra acceleration at low RPM), the spark is restarted, and it takes several tanks of gas before it gets reset and power returns to normal levels. I have no idea if the R is like this, but be cautioned.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Eh, I just put in the gas the manufacturer says to use. In the R, that's 91 minimum. I see zero reason to save a few dollars by putting in 87 or 89 octane, and I'm a cheap SOB usually. Since I started driving in, um, like 1978, I think I've always just done what the car maker suggested/demanded. Seems to have worked ok.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
My owner's manual advises not to go under 87 octane (unleaded regular). Modern engines control ignition timing and can adjust for octane.

The R manual, IIRC, recommends 91. Seems silly to go below that. The sticker on the fuel door definitely says 91. Unless you are driving the Pan-American Highway I guess, all the way, it seems penny wise, pound foolish to skimp on this.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I'd put 104 race gas in it. Might as well make that trip as short as possible.

If I could I would, but driving from Co to Tx with no front plate and CO on the back, I try to keep it under 10 over these days. Cops near Colorado love pulling people over in the hopes the driver was dumb enough to bring his state legal weed with him.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
If I could I would, but driving from Co to Tx with no front plate and CO on the back, I try to keep it under 10 over these days. Cops near Colorado love pulling people over in the hopes the driver was dumb enough to bring his state legal weed with him.

So you are like me... you always have cannabis on you when going home :D