GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whats a smoking deal on an R??

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
I know I am unlikely to get the huge discount I was able to get on the GTI, but what is the best pricepoint you have seen on an in stock R? I have only been able to find black ones

I don't need this car at all, and frankly I really like my GTI, but, I have driven the R and its a whole lot more car IMHO, and if the deal were right I could be corrupted. TIA

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
For me, it would have to be under 35,000.

For the record, I just bought another GTI (Number 8) and I think I enjoy driving it more than my R. I was going to continue autocrossing my R, but may switch to the GTI as well. If I had to chose one (base GTI or Golf R), I would choose the base GTI. 90% of the driving experience for 60% of the cost.

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
I'm in the market as well. It really depends on what you are looking for. Black and Red manuals seem to be cheaper than the rest. DSGs still demand a premium. 17's can be had at MSRP for most dealers, but there are some deals advertised that are below. I've seen a couple that are between $35 and $38K, but there are some strings attached.

I was hoping for a decrease in price for July 4th, but haven't seen anything. I think if you are looking for a drop in price, you'll have to wait until Labor Day. I can't imagine they will be still trying to sell '17s at 41K when the '18s are on the boat heading over. Some of the R's that I've seen have been on the lot for 150 days and over.

Now if you are looking to get an R and don't care if it is a '15 or '16 with low miles, then you can get into the 31-33K range.

Is this what others have seen advertised?

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
Lindsay VW offers $4k off MSRP ... but they tack on some things that still make it competitive.

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
I got a 17 R DSG with DAP and full clear bra for 37k in May. Sticker was 42ish. I felt like that was worth not waiting on the facelift 2018.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

For the record, I just bought another GTI (Number 8) and I think I enjoy driving it more than my R. I was going to continue autocrossing my R, but may switch to the GTI as well. If I had to chose one (base GTI or Golf R), I would choose the base GTI. 90% of the driving experience for 60% of the cost.

To me that would be like saying I'm only going to stick it in 90% of the way :)

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
To me that would be like saying I'm only going to stick it in 90% of the way :)

Honestly, I think the GTI might be faster around an autocross course. The only thing lacking in the GTI is full traction during hard straight line acceleration. I may take both cars to an event and see what happens.

Steel28

:eek: I understand it's your opinion but 90% is way to high.

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, I think the GTI might be faster around an autocross course. The only thing lacking in the GTI is full traction during hard straight line acceleration. I may take both cars to an event and see what happens.
I'd be very curious to know too but my guess is the R would beat the GTI hands down. Its not just the power advantage its the handling improvement of AWD.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion

Very track dependent argument, even still you can really wring allot out of the awd in the turns if you can drive negating any turbo spool issues of the bigger turbo on the R in the corners then ya have the bigger turbo for the straights. You drive the two very different especially when driving them very hard!

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Very track dependent argument

Agreed. On a road course, I think the R wins every time. But on a autocross course I think the gap is very narrow.

Gnosisdog said:
Its not just the power advantage its the handling improvement of AWD.

On an autocross course, more power doesn't always help. If the R were a true AWD car, it might help the R. The base GTI is also about 300 pounds lighter than the R. Like I said, I am speculating some and need to take both of my cars to the same event and see what the results are.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I'd agree with that. In my old sti, You could do dumber/funner/more aggressive stuff in the corners than the R, even still the par time awd on the R is a big difference compared to just fwd gti, if driven properly, assuming stock vs stock or modded similarly. But ya go find out on that course, sounds like a fun day anyway and that's all that matters!