GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

nicholam77's PP GTI thread

yosoydan

Ready to race!
Awesome car, awesome mods. Thanks for explaining your work and showing pics, I'm sure it'll be helpful for many members here!

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Getting ready for winter

Probably the last nice weekend in Minnesota this year. Took advantage of the weather and washed and waxed the car. For not having done any polishing or claying or anything like that, I have to say the paint looks quite good after a year!

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Went into winter mode last weekend.

Swapped and cleaned wheels. Also installed Audi Jack Pad Adapters.

CLOUT

Ready to race!
Great build, nice and neat breakdown of each mod. Man those Led tails seem a bit of a headache to install, might need to call over a couple of friends when I do mine to help trouble shoot. But they do look awesome!

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Great build, nice and neat breakdown of each mod. Man those Led tails seem a bit of a headache to install, might need to call over a couple of friends when I do mine to help trouble shoot. But they do look awesome!

Thanks!

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
BBS CO

So... around Black Friday... I bought something special for my Mk7. Which showed up on my front step this weekend.

I'm very excited about this addition.

I've wanted BBS wheels for as long as I can remember. I had my Mk4 2.0 for 10 years, but never had the time, money, or felt it was worth it to change the wheels or suspension due to the 2 liter engine. Didn't have a forum account back then, but often went on to look at people's awesome mods and builds and get DIY info. That's where I discovered BBS and now I just sort of associate it with German cars. And I love the way a lot of their wheels look. Recently I found a decent price on a model I had my eye on and was able to pull the trigger.

BBS CO 18x8 ET44 :D

I plan on running them as my summer wheels. No, they are not especially light, and no fancy flow-forming or forging here, but I really like the way they look. Reminds me of CH's or CH-R's. And I hope they look as good on the car as they do sitting in my basement. To be honest I was a little worried of what they would look like, but after seeing them in person I am very happy. And I only know of one other MK7 that has them so should be kind of unique.

If anyone is interested in my Austins (which are pristine!), they will be up for grabs, sans tires. Just send me a PM.

Last edited:

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
The other day I finished installing my OEM Audi Jack Pad Adapters. I had installed the grommets and inserts previously, but broke most of the clips on the plastic under trim when putting them in. A lot of people re-use the trim pieces and cut holes for the jack pads with a hole saw, but since mine were broken anyways I was able to track down (with the help of forum member DPRider2!) a matching Audi trim part with a cutout already in place.

These are the part numbers:

Underbody Cover - Front Right --> 8V0825272

Underbody Cover - Front Left --> 8V0825271

ECS and DAP have them for ~$15-20 a piece, and e-acca.com has them for ~$5 each if you're willing to wait for overseas shipment. I ordered from DAP, which I believe they then have to order from VW so it took awhile to receive.

Here is a comparison between the VW trim piece (bottom) and the Audi trim piece (top):

You can see they are pretty much identical except for the circular cut out.

Nice and clean once installed:

Thought others may be interested vs. using the hole saw method.

BTW, I have seen claims that these jack pads can only be used with a 4 point lift. While that may be their intent, I have used them several times and I am way more comfortable using these as jacking points as opposed to the subframe. Now if I need to lift the car quickly and safely, I back the rear onto ramps, jack up the front from the jack pad adapters, place jack stands on the pinch welds where they belong, and then place the jack under the subframe bolt for extra failsafe.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
At my 30,000 mile service I asked the question about using these pads for single point lift. They had not seen the pads installed before but thought they were a good way to lift the car with 4 point and single point lift. Only one shops thought but I agree with them. They also noted their thoughts on the service report, so I have it documented. FYI

Your new covers look nice. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Great build thread! Car is gonna look great with those new rims!

sent using Pide Piper middle out compression app

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
At my 30,000 mile service I asked the question about using these pads for single point lift. They had not seen the pads installed before but thought they were a good way to lift the car with 4 point and single point lift. Only one shops thought but I agree with them. They also noted their thoughts on the service report, so I have it documented. FYI

Your new covers look nice. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the info Sandman. Good to know at least one shop thinks it seems okay to use for a single lift point.

Excellent build thread. Thank you of the details. Loving your CSG and the mechanical upgrades. Some things I feel that I need to look into.

Thank you! Not a crazy build by any means but my hope is at least a few people find the "details" of what I've done useful in their own projects.

Great build thread! Car is gonna look great with those new rims!

sent using Pide Piper middle out compression app

Thank you! I really can't wait to put the wheels on...

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Unless you've skipped the picture of completed setup, you may be missing the cap (as you can see mine is used, I do not bother taking it off when lifting the front).

No reason to let in salt;)
I've also have rear jack points installed.

The only problem with this setup is that while the points can be used to lift the vehicle up, there's really nowhere to place jack stands (well, rear can be done) without messing up bottom of the car (I do not have secure 4 point lift in my garage). For this reason I try to use wheel ramps for most of the work (nothing big yet so not a huge issue).

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Unless you've skipped the picture of completed setup, you may be missing the cap (as you can see mine is used, I do not bother taking it off when lifting the front).

No reason to let in salt;)
I've also have rear jack points installed.

The only problem with this setup is that while the points can be used to lift the vehicle up, there's really nowhere to place jack stands (well, rear can be done) without messing up bottom of the car (I do not have secure 4 point lift in my garage). For this reason I try to use wheel ramps for most of the work (nothing big yet so not a huge issue).

I did not skip a picture, I do not have the caps I guess. Do you know the part numbers? I ordered my trim pieces a la carte, as the full kit was way too expensive for me for pieces of plastic. In the rears I installed the same rubber grommet style pads instead of the ones you have. I would definitely add the caps to the fronts if I could find the part number to order them. I don't want to let the salt in either and we get a lot of it where I live!

Also... might just be my specific jack stand and jack, but I am able to place a jack stand on the pinch weld in the front while the jack is under the pad adapter.

Thank you for the extra pics and info.

Nice progress! Love the new BBS wheels

Thanks!