GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Imagine if they did... even if it would save only 0.1% on fuel, on the entire Volkswagen fleet, it would mean thousands of liters of fuel being saved.

Even worse: in the Netherlands, we are paying a lot of tax when a car has a certain CO2 output. Making the car more aerodynamic, would mean less fuel burned, less CO2 output, less tax. .

I have been saying this for years..I wonder how much those idiot engineers in VAG who listened to the bean counters to not fit the parts but cheat on the emissions using software...how much is that costing them now??...

ALOT more than fitting the full aero parts to every car...the parts they already make in reduced numbers...make more...bigger batch discounts...

PS forgot the rear axle tray...you should be able to fit the one from the MK5/MK6 golf short one..not the full width from the Passat...due to exhaust...see the beginning of the thread...:cool:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I have been saying this for years..I wonder how much those idiot engineers in VAG who listened to the bean counters to not fit the parts but cheat on the emissions using software...how much is that costing them now??...

ALOT more than fitting the full aero parts to every car...the parts they already make in reduced numbers...make more...bigger batch discounts...
Totally agree!

PS forgot the rear axle tray...you should be able to fit the one from the MK5/MK6 golf short one..not the full width from the Passat...due to exhaust...see the beginning of the thread...:cool:
I doubt if it will fit, or fit like it's supposed to. The rear axle tray forms around that bulge, where there's mostly a straight edge on the GTE in this place. I suspect it will catch wind instead of make it an even surface. But... I could be wrong. Tomorrow I'm back at the dealer again, I'll have a look (and maybe he has the part somewhere so I can fit) Image from Golf 5 with this part.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I doubt if it will fit, or fit like it's supposed to. The rear axle tray forms around that bulge, where there's mostly a straight edge on the GTE in this place. I

I realised this after I typed my post...:eek:

Hacksaw??....to the MK5/MK6 part ...not the battery tray..that is...:D

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I realised this after I typed my post...:eek:

Hacksaw??....to the MK5/MK6 part ...not the battery tray..that is...:D

:D:D:D
:D I'm currently looking into the A3 Etron, Skoda Octavia and Seat Leon, they might have some options too.. I'm curious about the following part:

5Q0825197, some huge cover, even bigger than your Passat cover. It probably wouldn't fit my car, but maybe it's something useful for you? I spotted it in the A3 and Octavia parts catalog, and according to some part sites also fits the Golf MK7 :confused: I don't think it's going to fit with the moving suspension on the Golf.

And...
Do you already have the rear 2 covers on your Variant?

I believe those are 5G9825205 (for right), left I don't know.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
:D:D:D
:D I'm currently looking into the A3 Etron, Skoda Octavia and Seat Leon, they might have some options too.. I'm curious about the following part:

5Q0825197, some huge cover, even bigger than your Passat cover. It probably wouldn't fit my car, but maybe it's something useful for you? I spotted it in the A3 and Octavia parts catalog, and according to some part sites also fits the Golf MK7 :confused: I don't think it's going to fit with the moving suspension on the Golf.

CNG bash plate for the compressed natural gas versions...

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-763/8/825-825000/#38

seen them & had a good look....however they fit over the two gas tanks which take the position of the spare wheel well...so different underbody....
here are the tanks:-
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-763/2/201-201012/#3

And...
Do you already have the rear 2 covers on your Variant?

We have the one covering the blank space for the other exhaust box (R estate)..the one covering the exhaust pipe we cannot fit as the Octavia has the box by the axle...we have the box in the space where the panel is...so can't fit it.!!
I believe those are 5G9825205 (for right), left I don't know.

answers in bold

Last edited:

flygteye

Ready to race!
I just ordered the rear axle cover and they said the part # changed recently to 1K0501713C. I searched for it and it looks like there is a big part missing. It's no longer a rectangle shape. Hopefully the hardware I ordered will still work with it.

doak

Picked up my parts today, will be doing the install in a couple weeks when I install my summer wheels & tires.

Got my eBay skid plate and now want to acquire all parts required to install.
Am working from these parts listed in post #278:
5Q0 825 921 retaining bracket left
5Q0 825 922 retaining bracket right

907 559 02 socket head bolt M8x25 (top) (x2)
N 0195307 flange hex head bolt M8x25 (bottom and alt for top) (x7 or 9)

What I see in your photo matches the list except for the 7 black "push tabs."
Are these too needed to complete the install properly?
If so, where do they go?

One more thing: Nearest dealer is nearly an hour from me.
What's the best mail/online order source in the U.S.?
TIA,
Doak

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Got my eBay skid plate and now want to acquire all parts required to install.
Am working from these parts listed in post #278:
5Q0 825 921 retaining bracket left OK
5Q0 825 922 retaining bracket right OK

907 559 02 socket head bolt M8x25 (top) (x2) or...
N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , (x2) (easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

N 0195307 flange hex head bolt M8x25 (bottom and alt for top) x7

What I see in your photo matches the list except for the 7 black "push tabs."
Are these too needed to complete the install properly?
If so, where do they go?
You reuse the black wide head screws for your existing tray in the same places
ANSWERS IN BOLD

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I'm planning to fabricate the rest of the underside using the parts catalogue from https://www.mcmaster.com

What are your thoughts on fully covering the exhaust tunnel but lining the center track with gold tape to reflect the heat and using a duct at the leading edge of exhaust tunnel to suck in cool air for cooling?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’m going down that path for aero as well. I was thinking to heat wrap the exhaust first before putting a cover on.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Yeah the OEM solution is definitely more elegant (as expected) and at the prices that ebay seller was selling the skid trays for, much more economical. Even at full price OEM is still the way to go.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Great thread Dave, thanks so much.

I just split open my second half-tray. damn autocross cones. Really hoping to replace with something more durable (besides replacing the driver :) )

So from what I recall breezing through the thread, 3Q0 825 236 C has a vent and 2Q0 825 236 Q does as well.

Does Q accommodate the brackets?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Great thread Dave, thanks so much.

I just split open my second half-tray. damn autocross cones. Really hoping to replace with something more durable (besides replacing the driver :) )

So from what I recall breezing through the thread, 3Q0 825 236 C has a vent and 2Q0 825 236 Q does as well.

Does Q accommodate the brackets?

From breezing through the thread...:p

here you go:-

thin plastic "Aero" tray NOT the Skid tray:-
There are several types depending on the number of NACA ducts you want...
5Q0 825 236Q gives you two ducts/vents near the front
3Q0 825 236 give you an additional baffle grill at the rear ....(used on GTE)
5Q0 825 236M gives you NO vents so do not get!!

Item 10, WHT 000 729 A, hexagon socket head bolt, self-locking,(M8x20mm), (x3) shorter than the skid tray rear bolts as the "Aero" tray is thinner plastic
All are full size trays & require the rear three bolts, but do NOT require the brackets or front bolts due to the light weight, they also use the existing small black screws...

SKID TRAY VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C, Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray), £195.73***
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902B, Underrun bar with NO ducts (Skid tray), DO NOT GET as NO air ducts
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)***
***=Only these items required from the dealers in my project!***

For NAR (USA, Canada, Mexico, etc) Forum member "ADVNTURR" has found that the following parts are easier to order in NAR & do fit as he posts in this thread here:-Click here

Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902, Underrun bar (Skid tray), $282.48***
Item No. 27:- N 0195 307, Hex head bolt , $ (x2)***(easier to fit this bolt in tight space but the one above is the correct VW one)

I have confirmed with the VW ETKA & these parts are correct for NAR MK7 Golf, & the tray is from a new Passat hence the "3Q0" start to the part number. The Passat is also an MQB platform car so will share many parts & dimensions.

Highlighted are the full aero tray with ducts & the skid tray with ducts

skid trays require front brackets & more bolts...full aero trays actually called "noise insulation" DO NOT require front brackets...