GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

European Alpine 9" Infotainment...Will it work?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
@Sir_Mk7r Almost exciting even...

@XM_Rocks I KNOW...I keep fumbling between the steering wheel controls and the buttons on the unit because I haven't gotten used to no knobs yet.

Yeah, I don’t have steering wheel controls in my 911, ugh.

We are seeing car manufacturers going back to knobs, hopefully aftermarket car radios will follow.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
9" does sound promising....

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
@ITGUY Well it took a pretty long time because I was under the impression that I'd be able to pop out the glove box just like in the video on youtube. After fooling with it for two evenings post-workday I gave up and brought it to Best Buy for them to install it properly. This involved dismantling the entire center console and the tech there was basically winging it until he figured out how to get at the proper screws to release the entire glovebox. German over-engineering at its finest.

I've never had a SiriusXM subscription so it is no loss for me, but that is sure to be different for each person.

To be clear this is not an Android head unit. It runs on its own OS and has Android Auto capabilities. You plug in your phone and it basically takes over as storage, remote, and navigation while it is mirrored on the screen. Once it is unplugged or you exit out with physical buttons it goes back to being a standard infotainment style system with the same functionality a stock VW system would have.

Your 2016 GTI should have Android Auto already if I'm not mistaken. If it does you'd basically only gain a larger screen.

My system didn't have Android Auto or Nav...and the tiny screen was painful when I knew I could have 9"....and that sounded really bad.

Thanks.. I was looking at the simple 8" screen upgrade anyways..

OtterlyClueless

The alpine system came with a cable that is USB on one side and a white fakra+power, on the other the other end. The idea is the USB will plug into the brain box and then the fakra connector is supposed to plug into the back of the USB/AUX-IN, which lives in the cubby hole in the console.

Unfortunately, I have a 2015, which is the last year of installing AMI jacks. So naturally I purchased a new USB/AUX-IN to replace the outdated AMI in that my car.

And queue the problems.

The USB to white fakra doesn't fit into the green fakra socket on the back of the unit I just purchased. I was pissed so i decided to just shave off the little key that was preventing it from fitting. Once it was in place the unit is giving me an error that states "USB hubs not compatible".

WTF? It isn't a hub. Also, why would they use a connector that doesn't fit onto the standard USB/AUX-IN part?

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'd sure like to use that Android Auto that I purchased the unit for in the first place.

And here are my photoshop skillz...

OtterlyClueless

;)

but... does the nav actually look like what is in the picture and do you think overall it is worth the price? I don't use the xm radio and I have the wheel controls so I am considering.

Actually I have the i902D-G7 so the unit doesn't have native navigation.

The Android Auto nav works pretty flawlessly though.

thMK7sw

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually I have the i902D-G7 so the unit doesn't have native navigation.

The Android Auto nav works pretty flawlessly though.

Did you have to purchase a new trim piece, can you list the part # if applicable?

Also, were there any other parts you had to purchase besides the box for the Fender audio?

OtterlyClueless

,it comes as a kit with the brain box, CPU, head unit the screen, the trim, and the harness all prewired.

I couldn't get the USB to OEM USB-in to work so I purchased a cheap USB/HDMI extension on youtube and use that now.
Also had to find an adapter/extension to use the GPS antenna built in to the car. There is also an Alpine brainded unit that

Kevrev

The alpine system came with a cable that is USB on one side and a white fakra+power, on the other the other end. The idea is the USB will plug into the brain box and then the fakra connector is supposed to plug into the back of the USB/AUX-IN, which lives in the cubby hole in the console.

Unfortunately, I have a 2015, which is the last year of installing AMI jacks. So naturally I purchased a new USB/AUX-IN to replace the outdated AMI in that my car.

And queue the problems.

The USB to white fakra doesn't fit into the green fakra socket on the back of the unit I just purchased. I was pissed so i decided to just shave off the little key that was preventing it from fitting. Once it was in place the unit is giving me an error that states "USB hubs not compatible".

WTF? It isn't a hub. Also, why would they use a connector that doesn't fit onto the standard USB/AUX-IN part?

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'd sure like to use that Android Auto that I purchased the unit for in the first place.

And here are my photoshop skillz...

...Thanks for your post! I'm very interested in doing the same although I'll use upgraded Amps and speakers to replace my Fender system. I'm also wondering what replacement USB hub you actually purchased? Maybe this one will work possibly.... https://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_USBAUX_VW15.html

OtterlyClueless

I ended up purchasing a generic extension mounted in a bulkhead fitting. It has worked fine. I'm not too sure where you'd plug in that headphone looking jack on the one you posted. I can't think of an open port on the unit that would accept it, but it's been a while I could be wrong.

USB 3.0 HDMI Flush Mount Extension Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077T83RSV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GPYqBbNE22Y6G

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kevrev

Oh ok thanks. I wonder if the error is due to it being a USB 3.0 hub when head unit may only be compatible with 2.0. For example I know older computers wont accept USB 3.0 thumbdrives either.

Arbco_Toyz

How hard was it to download the us maps on the unit ?
Does your car have the fender system in it ?
What was the total cost landed of the items ? Did you buy the DVD player aswell ?
Sorry for all the ?’s but I’m ready to do this and would like to know
All the hurdles up front ! Thanx

Projektmkv

Ready to race!
How hard was it to download the us maps on the unit ?
Does your car have the fender system in it ?
What was the total cost landed of the items ? Did you buy the DVD player aswell ?
Sorry for all the ?’s but I’m ready to do this and would like to know
All the hurdles up front ! Thanx
There is an interface box to retain the factory amplifier. I got the US maps to work on my x902, just get the i902 unit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
How's the system holding up for everyone that installed it? I'm looking into getting the i902d-g7 and I wanted to see if anyone has had any long term issues with their model. Some of the videos I watched the system was somewhat laggy but that was on the previous gen x901d system, was curious of the performance on this one

Also, which GPS adapter did you guys end up getting? A link would be really helpful, thanks!